back to article BEAK DRONE: 1080p HD Wi-Fi quad-copter by Parrot takes to skies

French phone-accessories-maker-turned-drone-manufacturer Parrot has built a quad-copter with a super wide-angle lens and hi-def cam. Like its predecessor, the Parrot AR Drone, the new BeBop has a polystyrene foam shell that protects itself and whatever it collides into. Also, like the earlier version, you control the device …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pen-y-gors

12 minute battery?

Surely they can do better than that? Otherwise it seems like it could be a lot of fun. Can it be adapted to carry and release a rotten egg when passing over [insert-name-of-unpleasant-party] politicians?

1. John Bailey

Re: 12 minute battery?

12 minutes is about normal for small RC non fixed wing stuff I think. The general idea is to get a bunch of batteries and not fly for long periods.

Remember this is a helicopter. It's glide path is perpendicular.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 12 minute battery?

"... release a rotten egg"

The above is encouraging and supporting acts of terrorism, no less. And don't you try to protest that by "rotten egg" you meant a rotten egg. Or that you didn't mean it. Or that it was a (poor) joke. Or that the abovementioned politician deserves it. What you REALLY meant was "releasing a micro-thermo-nuclear device (as featured on youtube). We know your number, we're coming in farce.

2. Wattsy

Looks great! All I need now is some is some good looking and stylish friends (and a token black guy) to help me use it to its full potential.

Pass..

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

You can buy those, you know...

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. frank ly

Re: More importantly...

With an Occulus Rift type headset and a sharp blade sticking out of the front of it, you could fly lethal (to the target) kamikaze missions.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, just like radio-controlled cars, planes and helicopters were all banned in case someone tried to use one to injure someone else. You know who'll be buying these though? Paedos, that's who. Better report anyone you see with one down the park just in case...

3. Fink-Nottle

As soon as they release the first one what includes an actuator to operate a payload, (like dropping an egg, water balloon etc) they'll be banned.

Like this? It looks fairly acid resistant.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walkera-V959-18-Water-Helicopter-Quadcopter/dp/B00E864BLG

4. JDX Gold badge

re:Mark my words, private ownership of these will be banned soon enough.

Nah. Ownership will be OK but using them in public areas will be banned. Cops will all have interceptor drones used to take yours out of the sky :)

5. taxman
      Thumb Up

Too late.

Was watching a demonstration the other week of how raptors (feathered type!) can be trained by dropping lures from quadcopter.

Set up a flying pattern of direction and varying heights then have it drop the lure at a set way point before the 'copter returns to base.

4. HarryCambs

Wot, no gimbal?

No gimbal thought, I would still go for a DJI phantom instead.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Wot, no gimbal?

Yes, don't you hate those rigid thoughts, only going in one direction and on, and on, and on...

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

;-)

5. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Battery and payload capacity

These are, of course, linked and subject to the same constraints that late Victorian inventors struggled with. Flight is just hard work. Birds are really impressive. Actually, *battery-powered* copters are fairly impressive, too.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Frankly

this is nothing new. Check out the walkera 350, DJI phantom, blade 350qx. All can be kitted out with hd cameras (forget gopro, check out Mobius and sj4000 cams). Some *superb* video. All can be fitted with FPV.

The parrot is the most "toy-ish" of the lot....

And a 2km range is pointless with flight times of apx 10 mins...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Frankly

"The parrot is the most "toy-ish" of the lot...."

And is there anything wrong with that? It is also the most affordable of the lot, comes with a camera already equipped and can do live video out of the box.

One thing I was missing on the previous Parrots was a physical controller, adding a cheap PS3 Dualshock made flying 'heads-up' much more comfortable.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

shooting videos, shooting selfies

and if you remove the camera and replace it with (...), can you nosedive it and shoot said (...)? With better payload, better battery life....

8. Steven Raith
    Facepalm

I could buy one of these.....

....but the PR company doesn't know how to spell distortion so they can FRO.

See around 2:05

Steven R

1. kmac499

Re: I could buy one of these.....

"....but the PR company doesn't know how to spell distortion so they can FRO.

See around 2:05

Steven R"

'Distorsion'

I did wonder if it was some special Photoshop feature that twists the image up into a tiny little ball or summat.. Or maybe it was a PR fail, talking about the torque control on a helicopter that one of them had heard about in a winebar once..

9. Peter Galbavy

Meh... Parrot can go f*** off

Parrot pretty much abandoned s/w development for the AR.Drone 2.0 a couple of releases in. They have passively dropped Android by simply not doing anything beyond an advertised edition to support the GPS module - and that arrived 4 months or more late.

The AR.Drone 2.0 is a generally fun bit of kit let down by an attention-deficit led company.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The camera interests me,does anyone know what company makes it ?

11. Quentin North

Drive the competitor prices down

If it helps to drive down the cost of the DJI Phantom 2 Vision + that would be a good thing, but as it stands I don't think the BeBop would make me change from opting for a Vision + over this.

12. Snapper

Want!

Want!

13. Craigie

Shitty batteries ruin our playtime again.

Hurry up graphene!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like