back to article Cortana, remind me to patch Windows, IE, and Adobe gear next Tues

Microsoft will release eight security updates next Tuesday to squash remote-code execution bugs in Windows and Internet Explorer among other flaws. Meanwhile, Adobe will issue new versions of Acrobat and Reader for this month's Patch Tuesday. Two of the security updates from Microsoft are rated as critical because they allow …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Truth4u

So basically every Windows user is affected

isn't it nice that they love you so much they make sure the bug is in every version of their crap

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

Re: So basically every Windows user is affected

Sigh. Do you know how utterly asinine that sounds???

How about "they love you so much that they do actually take these things seriously and patch them in a reasonable amount of time to at least try and mitigate these vulnerabilities that thousands of hackers are trying to exploit on the most popular desktop OS in the world".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So basically every Windows user is affected

"remind me to patch"

All of those things are self updating. No need to remind yourself.

2. Refugee from Windows
    Alert

Retiring Acrobat

Sorry Adobe, but if we're having to have patches for what should just be a blooming document rendering program every other month, it's time for me to retire it. There are other products to do the same, and I'll be looking at Flash next. I'll be getting the firewall to relate everything from adobe.com as malware in future.

3. MJI Silver badge

Just need a full list of files

Then I can copy them in to our home PC

4. Nick Ryan Silver badge

The May release will be the first in more than a decade to not include any bulletins for Windows XP. The venerable OS was officially retired from support by Microsoft last month, though subsequent exploitation of flaws in the OS by miscreants has forced the company to issue an out-of-band update.

...and there I was thinking that the out-of-band update last month was to patch Internet Explorer, and the security-hell-hole that is ActiveX within it. That's not a flaw in XP as such.

1. Mad Chaz

Well, as IE is part of the OS that are burried deep enough into it that removing IE will bug the OS' I think we can say it was an XP patch.

1. Tom 13

Re: IE is part of the OS that are burried deep enough into it

That's a lie that wasn't caught out in court and we're all better off not repeating it. I think the EU demonstrated that pretty well when they had MS in the dock.

2. El Andy

The IE lifecycle is inherently tied to the version of Windows it is running on (because it's classified as an OS component), so IE anything on XP was and still is out-of-support when that emergency fix was released.

5. Dan 55 Silver badge

Adobe Reader for Mac OS X

It takes a special kind of masochist to install that considering Preview opens PDFs...

1. James O'Shea

Re: Adobe Reader for Mac OS X

unfortunately...

1 Preview doesn't open _all_ PDFs

2 Preview mangles some of the PDFs it does open

3 Preview has numerous problems all its own.

I personally haven't used it since, well... I never used it very much. There are other apps which open more PDFs, which don't mangle quite so many PDFs, and which have fewer bugs. (Graphic Converter, for one.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like