back to article Apple files patent for typo-sensing buttons

Apple has patented a system for detecting when a user may have inadvertently pushed a button on a device. The filing describes a system for both physical and touchscreen buttons which detects where on the button a user is pressing, and makes corrections when the contact is believed to be accidental. "Contact with only this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous C0ward

Sorry Dave.

I can't let you do that.

1. Coen Dijkgraaf
      Devil

Re: Sorry Dave.

Or an Apple response "You are pressing it wrong"

2. David Fetrow

Sounds Familiar

I believe the casio calculator watch and/or palm treo did something very similar

with their tiny keyboards....or am I missing something?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not just patent a method to determine what the use wants to do and give them suggestions or options relating to just that. Oh wait, Clippy was like that.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Why not just patent a method to determine what the use wants to do and give them suggestions or options relating to just that.

You mean like the 'Macbook Wheel', with its 'predictive sentence technology'? The MBW was exclusively unveiled by The Onion a few years back.

4. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

Maybe...

... this would have been of use to the customer of mine who, for the past week, has been ranting that his order hasn't arrived, only for me to get the parcel returned "Address incomplete" because apart from the first two letters, the Post Code he typed (on his iPad as it says at the bottom of his e-mails!) was one character transposed left or right or up.

So instead of XX3 1FH it came out as XX2 2DJ!

5. John Tserkezis

Why not just make the buttons bigger?

Oh, I'm sorry, you can't patent button size.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ok I hope it's bit more unique than this:

"...powering on a device by disabling or immobilizing the button with a lock mechanism."

Like my electric razor then?

8. PeterGriffin

Prior Art?

The safety / door open protection system on most modern electronics would fall foul to this patent. Most of them don't even have an operating system.

9. Richard Jones 1
    FAIL

Double Roll Over Anyone?

I am sure that this was used on keyboards back in the 1980s and possibly before to stop double key presses and called something like the Double Roll over prevention.

Certainly interlocks have been used since a very long time, what is so different between this software version and the mechanical versions that existed since Noah was in short trousers - Oh heck will Apple now patent short trousers?

10. thedarke

Prior Art

There is a system on the Jaguar XF glove box going back to the launch of the XF range that conceptually does what they are trying to patent- and given that cars tend to have protracted development times, I'd suspect it predates the 2008 filing.

But of course Cuppertino got it granted- the US Patent Office seems to think researching submissions is for wimps.

11. DaveK

An actuator?

(Title to be read in a Lady Bracknell voice.)

Well, at least Apple have actually invented something here, rather than just patenting some pre-existing or obvious idea, but seriously, someone must have had their Complicator's Gloves on when they came up with this one. If you can sense that a button-press is unintentional electronically, then you can just discard/ignore it electronically. Adding a solenoid to make the button resist being pressed just seems stupid to me. One more thing to go expensively wrong.

Hang on, maybe that's Apple's real motivation here.

12. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

Force feedback?

<Aussie accent>

That's not force feedback, proper force feedback is when the button punches you in the face when it thinks you have punched the wrong button! That'll teach ya!

</Aussie accent>

1. Dr Patrick J R Harkin
      Joke

Re: Force feedback?

Nah, force feedback is when we tell them not to use racial profiling and that that reports of random stop and search in the press don't look good .

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like