back to article Shocking 'new iPhone' is also - BZZZZT!! - a Taser-like stun gun

Australia's Customs and Border Protection Service has seized counterfeit iPhones that can't make calls but can impart a nasty electrical shock if pressed against the skin. The agency showed off the shocking fakes yesterday, after arresting a chap who had imported them along with knuckle-dusters, electric shock devices …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG

It is patented though!

2. Ralph B
    Coat

Shocking

Well, at least it's not just the Apple prices that are shocking!

Oh my. <Wipes away tears of laughter.>

3. Big-nosed Pengie

Maybe they were just holding it wrong.

1. Psyx

Stunning.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stun devices

have been disguised as phones for years, besides, they are simply high voltage generators that "hurt" but do not have the effect that a genuine "TASER" has on you.

A quick google search on most american self defence sites will reveal a plethora of cunningly disguised shock devices. Lets be honest, it really isnt difficult to make one these days. There are even kits on flea-bay that will deliver an electric fence type shock (they fucking hurt!!!) for less than 20 quid...And anyway, i'd rather face one of these than a 4 inch blade...

This is Australia where 1mw laser pointers are illegal to possess.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Stun devices

"There are even kits on flea-bay that will deliver an electric fence type shock (they fucking hurt!!!) for less than 20 quid.."

Years back I made an insulation tester using a P.E. kit.

If it wasn't for the meter it would be small enough to fit in a Swan Vestas box.

Just a 9V battery , a wind-it-yerself step-up transformer and some electonics to wobble the DC a bit.

Kicks like a mule.

1. Mage Silver badge

Take the 300V generator out of a single use £5 camera from Tesco.

Probably best to swap the 300uF capacitor used for the Xenon tube for a 1uF to avoid killing yourself (will cycle 300x faster too!). Uses a single AA cell.

It and the battery will fit in a matchbox or scrap gadget of your choice.

Warning: carrying this may be an offence in some countries. Or kill the owner.

1. theModge

Can report that even with the original cap this hurts rather than kills, in the case of healthy individuals at least. Friend of mine did it at school. I did have some odd friends, now I come to look back on it...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That's what I need to silence annoying neighbors at movie theaters.

2. John Tserkezis

"besides, they are simply high voltage generators that "hurt" but do not have the effect that a genuine "TASER" has on you."

This is not correct. Back in the day before Taser was a trade mark, we made our own that would have been lethal if you deployed it for long enough. High voltage pulse transformers really are an interesting beast.

The modern Tasers "emit" measured doses of energy to first strike, that is obtain a functional spark just in case the barbs are snagged on clothing only, then once that is achieved, continously regulate energy to immobilise muscles, and not more. They are less lethal than the early models, because their limiting was obtained via mere transformer impedance.

Home made stun guns aren't regulated, and due to size restrictions, are may be limited in energy output, but there's no guarantee they're "safe" either.

"This is Australia where 1mw laser pointers are illegal to possess."

Not really. "greater than 1mW" see <http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp#e2101>

Then again, that's only for the average plebs like us. Specialty purpose lasers even in the multi-watt range are able to be imported with prior authorisation. Like for building wall writing and nightclub lighting effects. Apparently, if you keep the beam still, you can light a cigarette with those things. There are handheld 2W lasers, but I would imagine it would be a bit hard to convince the powers that be they're for a nightclub...

3. Tachikoma

I made something from a disposable camera flash circuit to kill off old gear, it can vaporize circuit tracks, using it against living flesh might or might not work well (not testing it on myself, got a dodgy ticker), but there's plenty of cheap gear that can be re-purposed for stuff like that.

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

Coming soon

The inevitable posts about Crapple Innovation... Hey, it is the Friday of a holiday weekend so let the comments roll...

6. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

It's perfectly safe if they use the original battery..

Judging by how much life I get out of a 4S, if they use the original battery it'll be about as effective as a 9V battery on your tongue..

7. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

BOFH gear, evidently

Better still, replace the head beancounter's phone by such a device modified to give the holder a shock (remotely operated?)

8. Scroticus Canis
    Boffin

Taser Title Twit-Twat Twadle!

A shock stick (so called stun gun) isn't a Taser, just as a wallaby isn't a koala.

A shock stick (disguised as a phone or not) has to be pressed against the target/victim. Tasers are stand-off devices with gas thrown harpoons & wires to carry voltage, they can also be used for direct contact if needed. Effective range 15 to 25 feet depending on model (civilian or police use). Best not to be in arms-length of some one with a knife IMHO.

Also Tasers deliver a specific pattern of discharge designed to disrupt neuromuscular coordination not just a fixed pulse interval blast of voltage like most shock sticks.

Taser also make a 'bear' model (three cartridge packs) for American wilderness hikers / park rangers who don't want to waste Yogi with a .44 Magnum.

1. Roger Varley

Re: Taser Title Twit-Twat Twadle!

Not sure that I'd want to be within 15 to 25 feet of several hundred kilos of pissed off Yogi.

9. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Facepalm

"....The Reg knows of no other self-defence phone....."

Short memories? El Reg had an article in the pre-iBone days about mobes with .22 zip guns built-in (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/11/30/guns_disguised_as_mobile_phones/).

10. Version 1.0 Silver badge

How did they catch them ... did some guy in Customs and Border Protection nick one and give it to his girlfriend?

Of course, in the USA these would be allowed as a "novelty toy" and sold on-line.

1. Mike Moyle

@ Version 1.0

Actually, these are generally regulated by the individual states (and, occasionally, municipalities) and -- since there is no National Rifle Association equivalent to fight for these -- can be HARDER to obtain/carry in some places.

Name: Version 1.0

U.S. Knowledge: Version 0.5 (alpha)

11. Michael 28
    Trollface

How do you guys know all this stuff?

...Stop spending so much time on teh internets. Srsly!

12. Eponymous Cowherd

Not exactly new

Tasers disguised as phones have been reported for years, including ones disguised as iPhones.

Oh shit!!! I'm beginning to sound like jake!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not exactly new

Is there an Android version?

13. William Towle
    Coat

also - BZZZZT!! - a Taser? So...

..."there's a zap for that"?

14. Stevie

Bah!

Well where's the fun in that? When people pop a nice phone up to their ear they don't want 50,000 volts across the cerebellum!

It should come with a big red sticker. WARNIN': CONTAINS KILOVOLTS.

15. Arachnoid

These are prison issue version

Then if found up the usual crevices the warden just turns them on till fully discharged

16. LordHighFixer

Back in the day

We used to charge up largish value caps and drop them in lab coat pockets. One day someone dropped one in the instructors pocket. Next day no more lab coat pockets. Keep in mind that this was the same instructor that had a beautiful metallic foil gift wrapped box on his desk than contained a pendulum switch a battery and an ignition coil. It was always funny to watch the class go silent when a newcomer would show interest in the pretty box.

We used to have contests to see who could shake it the longest....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like