back to article Yahoo? We don't need no stinkin' Yahoo!

Bill Gates says Microsoft is quite capable of sorting out its internet strategy all on its own if Yahoo! refuses to play ball. Gates, who stops full-time work for the company in June, ceded it was no longer really his decision. He said, according to reports: "The key decisions on that will be made by Microsoft CEO Steve …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

sorted?

well if having the worlds least compliant browser (with any standards) and coming third in the 2 horse search engine race is getting it sorted then well done ms you got shafted. keep up the poor work

2. Jeff Held
    Jobs Halo

Yang's brilliant move!

Let's see here, YHOO was trading at $19 and change before the MSFT offer, they had mediocre financials in the interim, now MSFT is gone and YHOO is trading north of $25 - a 20% premium for doing nothing in particular - they are the same company that traded at $19.

3. Tawakalna
    Gates Horns

Ballmer's brilliant move (no chairs involved)

so Yahoo! reject the offer, the shareholders get angry, eventually kick out Yang & Co, and the new management do the deal with M$ anyway but the price goes waaay down and M$ get a bargain. OR... Yahoo! soldier on for another year with a declining share price then get flogged to M$ anyway for b*gger all (in comparison, 'tis all relative) and M$ still get a bargain.

4. Chad H.
    Joke

Of course Microsoft can go it alone

I mean its worked well this long huh... So well they're not looking at buying anyone that can do it better, right?

5. Webster Phreaky
    Jobs Horns

Figures a MacTard would think Yang made a "brilliant move" ...

Lets see ... Yang has RENEWED the already infuriated major Yahoo? stockholders to ad additional lawsuits against him and the Yahoser board; other than a minute (as in small) up tick in the stock for ONE DAY after the first of the Yahooie price crashes, Yaho! is back down and going down from here on; also Yahoser made it obvious stupidly by Yang after HAVING TO APPROACH Google, that they CAN'T survive on their own. You MacTard call this brilliant?? It figures since your ilk think Jobs the great iNOvator iCON is as an equal.

Anyone that uses Yahoser! email and Yahoser! portal knows that the dopes at Yaho!! only reply to help or complaints on their vertually non-existant SPAM filtering (often using their own service) is only by "Form Emails". Yahoo sucks, and going down the drain will be a pleasure to watch.

How's that Spinning Beach Ball of wait n wait n wait n wait ..... ?

6. Sean O'Connor
    Gates Horns

I love how...

Balmer says Microsoft NEEDS the Yahoo acquisition to remain competitive in the Search Engine and Ad serving business...

Yet Gates comes out and says Microsoft DOESN'T need Yahoo...

When is the next board vote? You know Balmer's head is on the chopping block. Yahoo's stock price is up, Microsofts shares are down after this and even Gates says Balmer was wrong about needing Yahoo.

Do we even need to go into his other mis-steps?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

If so ?

Why did you try to buy Yahoo then Bill ?

Microsoft - Going today where everyone went yesterday !

8. Andy Barber
    Unhappy

Yahoo! Search! Engine!?

Why do Yahoo! keep getting called a search engine? I have used Yahoo! Mail! since 01/1995 but seldom use their search engine at all. Their Flickr photo site (a revenue stream,) is also brilliant.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Oh come on!

They woke up realized that 47 billion for Yahoo is ridiculous and shit- canned the negotiations. MS is prone to do stupid things, and no one on this planet gives a flying fuck about stockholders their wishes, their interests, whether they live or die, you can sue at will it won't get you extraordinary money in fact all it will do is make some lawyer richer. There is a well known practitioner of this type of lawsuit on probation (William Lerach) at the moment his clients made very little money. You buys your stocks you takes your chances if you don't like that sell them.

10. Nick Woodson
    Joke

Billy's right

They don't need Yahoo. They have the best and quickest browser, the most efficient search technology, most profiatble advertising strategy and most talented, open-minded management team. Why would they need those open-source hippees and hooligans from Yahoo? Seems to me the world is better off not seeing that match made in boardroom purgatory.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Re: Yang's brilliant move!

Remember that the only reason Yahoo is still trading at > $19 is because the market thinks the Microsoft withdrawal is all part of a game to force the board to do something. The board have take a company that struggles to justify a $19 share price, refused a $33 share price that most shareholders would have taken, and will probably be forced to take the next offer which will almost certainly be less than $33. Overall I think Yang needs his head examining.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Yay!!!!

I made £5K over this. How cool is that!

13. SpitefulGOD
    Gates Halo

@Jeff Held

After May the stock price should plummet, all part of the big plan.. to be honest for this type of stupidity I would have thought Yang has either been bought by MS or has a giant chip on his shoulder.

14. Shonko Kid
    Gates Horns

Strange things are afoot at Micro$oft way

The fact that Gates is even thinking 'we can go it alone' shows they are having real concern over their future. Can it be that Gates and co have seen the writing on the wall?

Gates: " I wouldn't rule out some partnerships..."

M$ don't do partnerships, never have, never will. It's like saying sharks are team players.

My money's on the hacky-sack hippies coming out on top of this one. And against the big G, they're boned!

15. Schultz

Idealism

Cut the man some slack, he made a few billion with his first company and has a hard time parting ...

Long live the idealism!

16. Fuion
    Dead Vulture

I suppose...

It is time to put up, or shut up.

17. Charles Manning

@Jeff Held

You make a valid point that YHOO has gone from $18 to $25 by doing nothing. Even more so if you consider that in the technology sector you're actually losing ground if you do nothing so without MS, YHOO would have decayed to $15 or so.

Thus, MS has really given YHOO a $15 to $25 boost.

But shareholders mostly have a very short attention span. Most will only see the $35 to $25 drop due to Jerry.

As others have said, the show ain't over and everyone is expecting the shareholders to slap Jerry around and MS to come back with another, lower, offer. That's still keeping YHOO inflated but not as much.

Gates' "We don't need no steenking YHOO" is bollocks trying to drive the price down. Only a month or so back he was saying that MS absolutely needed YHOO.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yahoo!

Not impressed or surprised.

- Shelon Padmore

This topic is closed for new posts.