back to article China runs out of surnames

China has been forced to mull the possibility of allowing double-barrelled surnames - a break with the ancient tradition that citizens adopt one of a hundred single character surnames. The majority of Chinese take their surnames from the list, considered "part of the country's cultural heritage", the Telegraph explains. So …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ishkandar

Top 5 Chinese surnames

From time immemorial, we've been taught that the top 5 Chinese surnames, in descending numerical order, were - Chen, Li, Zhang, Wang and Ho. Looks like the Chen(s) have slipped a bit in their duty to procreate and the Ho(s) have dropped off the list all together !!

2. MonkeyFiend

ahh nuts

... do this mean that I can't tell people your mother's got more chins than a chinese phonebook? :P

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The old chestnut

Looking through the Beijing phone-book must give thousands of Wong numbers.

4. tim chubb

wang....

always amused me when i was learning mandarin, that "wang" meant "king"

my revision cards looked something like this

wang-king

how have i got this far in life being that purile??????

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh Dear

It's you might end up with a Ho if you Wing the Wong number...

6. Brett Weaver

And that name is. . .

To attract good fortune, spend a new coin on an old friend, share an old pleasure with a new friend, and lift up the heart of a true friend by writing his name on the wings of a dragon.

Chinese Proverb ( - )

7. Graham Marsden

Hmm...

"[...] the western alphabet is strictly off-limits, meaning no Fleur de Lis or Brooklyn Zhous in the foreseeable future."

Be thankful for small mercies!

8. Alan

Confucious he say...

Man with hole in his pocket feel cocky all day.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With great respect...

I'm sure the register and it reader have great respect for Chinese cultural heritage and would not what to upset anyone. (That's stopped any of us getting kicked from BB)

However like the article, I cannot resist the letting the surname "Wang" (which is just great.) go without some comment,. Actually it's a reference to the Simpsons where Bart makes a prank call for Mei Wang, where Mo asks if anyone has seen Mei Wang. Just priceless, we owe a lot to Chinese heritage.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It gets worse...

Just Wing it... (with apologies to my Chinese friends -- who no doubt have jokes about my name, too).

11. Andrew Moore

What???

>a baby whose dad's surname was Zhou, the mother's Zhu, and who could therefore be called Zhou, Zhu, Zhouzhu or Zhuzhou

Isn't that the sound a saw makes???

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting phenomenon, uninformed article

China has survived thousands of years without its people needing unique identifiers in the form of names and it doesn't need them now -- every Chinese citizen has a unique 18-digit identification number. The real issue here is that the one-child policy is leaving families without a male to carry on the family line so there is pressure on girls to incorporate their family name in their children's names.

13. Damian Gabriel Moran

confucius say...

man with no front garden always look forlorn

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and on the IT front...

could we ever forget the service program offered by Wang Computer in the 1980's: "Wang Care"

15. Dillon Pyron

And in the USA

I was actually surprised at how many Pyrons there are. But when I went to "that website" (I can't remember), it told me there were exactly 0 Dillon Pyrons. So not only am I unique, I'm nonexistent.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

confucius say ...

... man who run through airport revolving door is surely going to bangkok

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting phenomenon, uninformed article

China has survived thousands of years without its people needing unique identifiers in the form of names and it doesn't need them now -- every Chinese citizen has a unique 18-digit identification number. The real issue here is that the one-child policy is leaving families without a male to carry on the family line so there is pressure on girls to incorporate their family name in their children's names.

18. Daniel Ballado-Torres

Ow.

Funny thing is, Western countries that don't use double surnames also get lots of similar-named people. Think "John Smith", yet, I don't see the US, UK or others adding second surnames.

Spanish-talking countries (and maybe Arab countries?) use a composite father and mother surname, thus enabling the ability to reduce the name collision. (Incidentally, my dad's got my name, if we used our first surname, we'd have the exact same name. Insane!!!)

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

South Koreans

One of their top men is called "Poo Bum-suk"

Could be used for amusement in trade talks.

20. Glenn Alexander

I am a human Phishing site (apparently)

My name is Glenn Alexander (note the two n's). Someone at my college called Glen Alexander (one n) dropped out and so my student record gets accidently trashed %-S

All fixed now :-)

BTW- Glenn Alexander are both given names - I have no surname. You should see what THAT does to this 'multicultural' country's computer infrastructure ;-P

21. Long Fei

Wang

Actually, it isn't pronounced wang. It's more like 'wong' which, as has been mentioned already, means king.

Chinese Pingying, which is the 'western' version of the written language, doesn't have the same sounds as the actual western alphabet does, hence the confusion. Eg. 'Zhou' sounds more like 'Jo'.

22. Ian Davidson

All in name

Not sure this story is quite right?

I spent a fair bit of time in Chia a few years ago and one of my Chiness pals told me that they had a unique numerical identifier (which also tied them to a specific place if I remember right).

It seems that Chinese folks can change their Western (if they have one) and also Chinese names if they wish.

I also recall that the vast majority of Chinese folks share something like twenty or thirty surnames (there are many more but just not used as much) - certianly I recall sitting in meetings where most of the folks were either called Mr Liu (pronouncdd Leo) or Ms Wang

23. Joe stalin

It's not unusual

Closer to home

Isn't half the the Welsh phone book full of Jones's

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Numerical identifiers are used in europe too...

for example in hungary every person has a numerical id, that contains their gender, their birthday, some other info and a unique serial number that comes from the order of data entry into the main citizen registry database. There are special id tags for peoples addimtted into the system later in their lifes, so foregin people could be recoginesed by the authorities based on their numerical id. This system was used for everyday identification in the past, but now not all official documents carry this id (it's only in the address section of the id cards), but the main database can still connect the tax records, the social security payments, the registered voters database, the bank records and most commercial subscriber databases to each other because every database have to use the numerical id, because that's the only thing that is globally unique for every citizen.

For the chinese, it would be a better idea to use two given names, so people could be identified more easily. This would result in names containing three parts, but it's much easier to implement than composite surnames.

25. bill arthur

The chinese are great

Just to add to the hole in the pocket gag,

Man with hole in each pocket, no feel two cocky

and for all the budding chinese chefs, there is a new chinese cookbook available entitled "How To Wok Your Dog".

26. David Shaw

Chinese in Italy

it's a bit late to comment , I mean this was *last week's* news, but I think it's worth to mention that , as an Italian Resident , people are required to get the "Financial Identity Card" known as a Codice Fiscale. It's an anagram of your name consonants and birthdate with codes for your country of birth and a checksum, within 16 digits. This number must be quoted in all financial transactions.

The growing numbers of Chinese in Italy are currently forcing a redesign of the Codice Fiscale as there are increasingly identical 16 digit codes being produced, the horribly beweaponed "Guardia di Finanza" are not amused.

(Disclaimer : I was arrested by the G.D.F for buying a VAT free bottle of water)

Oh, there were also recently riots in Milan by the Chinese community when the G.D.F tried to enforce the VAT laws...

This topic is closed for new posts.