back to article JavaScript guru slots into Mozilla CTO seat left empty by anti-gay marriage ex-boss

Mozilla has named its new chief technology officer – the position previously held by Brendan Eich before his brief spell as Moz CEO ended amid an anti-gay marriage storm. The new CTO is Andreas Gal, a six-year Mozilla veteran who was described by the Firefox factory as an "authority on web technology". Gal's work has ranged …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Forget It

meanwhile elsewhere on the web

I encourage all Mozillians to keep going. Firefox OS is even more daunting, and more important. Thanks indeed to all who have supported me, and to all my colleagues over the years, at Mozilla, in standards bodies, and at conferences around the world. I will be less visible online, but still around.

/be

1. oolor

Really a silly state of affairs, while my belief is no person should be allowed to marry for their own good, I also believe it is that individual's mistake to make and everyone else should butt out. How the pendulum swinging the other way to the extreme is right I know not. It certainly seems to be rightthink... I think.

On a lighter note, paste this into console of browser to fix teaser:

var FTFY = document.getElementsByClassName("standfirst")[0];

FTFY.textContent = "document.getElementsByClassName(\"standfirst\")[0].textContent = \"Say hello to Andreas Gal\";";

// and yes, don't forget to hit run

2. Jim 59

Andreas Gal

If Andreas hasn't got the right political views, he better get them PDQ.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Jim 59 Re: Andreas Gal

"If Andreas hasn't got the right political views, he better get them PDQ." Ah, but that could in itself present risk! Who is to say what topic of reasonable, democratic debate could get you labelled as a 'hater' six years down the line?

What if Mr Gal is at a party and someone jokes about how their dog is so much more loyal than their ex-wife, that they wished it was legal to marry their dog, and Gal laughs and says "that would be rediculous!" Fast-forward six years, PETA have achieved their ambition of equal rights for animals and are now pressing for the rights of inter-species marriage, and some blogger remembers Mr Gal's comment from many years before. Suddenly, PetsMart are putting messages suggesting an 'animal-friendly browser' to their website visitors, the vegans are building up static walking in circles in their plastic shoes outside Mozilla's HQ, and Mr Gal finds that the Mozilla board still have no spine.....

Eich obviously didn't foresee the future melodrama queen response to his pledge, maybe it would be best if Mr Gal just avoids any form of political statement or personal position and presents a bland, grey image to the World. It seems being completely silent is the only way to ensure we avoid the chance of upsetting the easily-offended at a later date.

1. Carpetsmoker

Re: Jim 59 Andreas Gal

By this reasoning a KKK clansman or Neo-Nazi assfuck would also be an excellent CEO. Or perhaps someone in favour of retracting woman's voting rights, because what does a skirt know about politics, right?

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Jim 59 Andreas Gal

Two down votes, from people that obviously need a sense of humour transplant.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Andreas Gal

"If Andreas hasn't got the right political views, he better get them PDQ."

Its about time someone in the public eye stood up to the liberal left facists who believe anyone who doesn't hold the same opinion as them is scum, and just tell them in no uncertain terms to eff off and if they don't like it then go swivel on it. The previous CEO should have grown a pair of balls instead of meekly running off with his tail between his legs.

1. Hollerith 1

Re: Andreas Gal @boltar

But if you do that to the liberal left, you are being strong and uncompromising in your values.

I don't think left leftists have ever said their opponents on this issue were scum. They said they didn't want to do business or be involved with an organisation that had, as a chief officer, someone who actively promoted views that were against what they saw as their equal rights.

I worry when the reaction is 'liberal left facists' who are presumably grinding us all under the iron heel of despotism, because, as we can all see, the USA is going to hell in a handbasket, with all those leftie organisations and schools and daycare centres and medical outreach and homeless shelters being funded and the military having to beg for pennies and the super-rich and global corporations being bled dry by unfair taxes.

Or is any opinion contrary to your own ultimately castrating? If so, you must live in rage and terror every waking minute.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Moz's C/C++ replacement Rust"

Uh huh. And how long before this one is in the Forgotten Programming Languages museum along with 101 others? The only systems programming language that has even come close to matching C++ in terms of popularity is Java. Others have tried and failed miserably. D anyone?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: "Moz's C/C++ replacement Rust"

Honest question: what about C#? My understanding is that is has quite a following, one that is fairly steady and unlikely to be "faddish". Or is that considered part of C/C++?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Unhappy

Re: Pottie Re: "Moz's C/C++ replacement Rust"

"....what about C#?...." The problem for C# for many of the Penguinistas is that they see it as firstly a Microsoft product, and it is, in their eyes, therefore too tainted for them to consider, despite it now being an ISO standard CLI language. They even get huffy over the FOSS Mono version, calling it an MS Trojan horse.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Pottie "Moz's C/C++ replacement Rust"

"....what about C#?...." The problem for C# for many of the Penguinistas is that they see it as firstly a Microsoft product, and it is, in their eyes, therefore too tainted for them to consider, despite it now being an ISO standard CLI language. They even get huffy over the FOSS Mono version, calling it an MS Trojan horse.

C# is a Microsoft product - while it is labelled as an "ISO standard CLI language", we all know how Microsoft rigged the standard for Office documents.

Once the Microsoft dependencies (libraries) are stripped out, there is unfortunately not a lot left to C#. While the same could be said for other languages, at least for many of the others there are working alternatives for the functional libraries. Once these Microsoft dependencies are removed there is not a lot of real incentive to use C# compared to C++ as there are relatively few compatible libraries and pools of example code, although recently more have been released. AIUI it's also quite a bit slower than C++ for many tasks due to the additional baggage that comes with managed code - in theory it is safer though.

4. 2StrokeRider
    Trollface

I certainly hope he turns down any 'promotion' offer to CEO....that doesn't seem to be a ladder to success at Mozilla.

5. ecofeco Silver badge

Interesting

Maybe he can clean up the bloat and instability that has recently plagued FF.

6. cd

They can't get it right...

Now they promote a guy named Gal! What are they thinking? Pendulum too far the other way. Geeesh.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Happy

Re: They can't get it right...

A Guy named Gal - is he a bit like "A boy named Sue"?

Just hope he doesn't donate money to ANY cause - you know what will happen - too right wing/too left wing/too gay/too straight/not straight etc

Posted using Firefox, the carefree browser.

7. Tony 16

Sadly the foul-mouth, blustering pounces are back on this issue. If Mr Eich donated money to an anti-homosexual marriage organism I hope it will be money well spent. I cannot see any reason why he should have resigned or been sacked. The perverseness of his departure , to me, indicates the solid footing decaying minds and the corruption of decency in morals has achieved in a very short period of massive pressure. On the other hand I do not support the brutal madness of 'religions' based on the 'jewish/khazar' sect which bully, bash and execute homosexuals. That they claim 'god' requires this is finger down the throat 'stuff'. It is simply another aspect of Satanism or if you prefer, the worship of Lucifer/Baal/Lilith ....whatever evil master to which they are adhered. On the other side, when one who may or may not have 'religious' indoctrination does not think homosexuality should be encouraged or fostered that also requires common sense and good example and not abuse in treatment of homosexuals. In my view there is no reason or goodness surrounding homosexual marriage or being permitted to adopt children yet I also see vast numbers of children, produced by people who will not control themselves or their fecundity....rape being another issue.....left to terrible fate and producing unfortunately adults scarred by abuse.

When I was young homosexuals, particularly the promiscuous attracted to the "Cross"...a place I'd willingly donate money to see levelled to the ground and become a supervised park (i.e. drink drug and prostitute free) ...and the prostituting males were often badly treated, bashed . That was deplorable. The issues are not , though in some ways it's unavoidable 'hetero Vs Homo' nor 'rights' nor 'equality' but what morally underwrites and improves society which has moved to the point at which it stands in a world which has plummeted ethically and morally since 1970 and in my view requires a re-establishment of sound direction based on the best outlook and that best outlook is not based on any religion but on the life and views of the personage called 'Jesus'....No better rule for happiness and decency exists. I say that without adherence to a religious cult.

Today however we are going to the far side of cultural shift in a sudden upsurge, which means money talking, in political pressure to have homosexual marriages and adopting of children as a part of our declining morality. It's at a point of absurdity when paedophiles targeting boys and 'boylovers' who train children, in some publicised cases, from the cradle to be used in large scale homosexual swaps here and overseas never hear the word 'homosexual' in the reports on these ghastly paedophiles. As far as abuse by heterosexuals I have moved diametrically over the recent years of declining Australian culture into a mishmash of buzz-politics such as 'multiculturalism' ..Multiculturalism .simply another culture 'black-hole globalisation movement by the group which has sought over 240 years the "control and command of the whole world'...read your 'bible' as to the mythical David's 'command' to suppress goyim and which was put into seriously effective practical action by the so called 'de Rotheschilde" Central Bankers which now dictate foreign policy in particular and foment and finance "revolution" using every evil they can...A recent example was their "GFC",organised through their 'change control satellite, Kuhn Loeb, massively profitable to them with the outrage of taxpayer 'reimbursements' instead of being asset stripped by the Government.

Sudden turnarounds in politics such as this 'homosexual marriage' whether from spy site blitzes such as Twitter and Facebook, Google or Yahoo used by the dimwits who 'see no harm in it' require well 'embedded' organisms and large finances. In my many decades I have moved and discussed and observed promiscuous homosexuals. Users in signing-up seem to somehow contribute to multi billion profits for people who seem to have little trouble attracting finance to start-up. I think the concept that Satan rules this world has merit, and "de Rotheschilde" the criminal but extremely adept banker who developed in the 19th C, his father a terrorist with them living in the Frankfort Ghetto, from simply being clever and corrupt and a worshipper of Lucifer into now having institutions controlling all Western Nations but in fact also owing more than 80% of all the world's currency. Have you seen any prosecutions of personnel from the provenly corrupt Australian "reserve' bank?

I recall well from some years ago the Hotel east end of William Street's via-dolorosa to the Cross where on entry into the hotel, a couple of young homosexuals tried to tongue kiss and grope all males they could. when going to the toilets in that hotel I was to find an homosexual orgy in and outside open-door'd toilet cubicles.

Whilst I do not condemn people who are genetically homosexual and restrained I do not have the same empathy for those hedonistic licentious homosexuals. I am not in favour of multi-tiered society which floats on licentiousness, corruption and evil wherever the source and whether "hetero" or "homo" . It is true as some homosexuals accuse that children are abused in hetero families however that doesn't add anything of substance to their claim to be parents of adopted children or produced by surrogacy. I'd go further and say that it's well overdue that we have a major revision where no one however they came into Australia (birth here or immigration) can be married without comprehensive formal instruction on responsibilities and expectations and when and only if they graduate being licensed to marry and not being permitted top keep producing children where they run out of steam financially and /or emotionally. That's a big picture though with all sorts of difficulties involved and can only succeed in a revolutionary approach in school education.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like