I need speed - any other options?

This topic was created by h4rm0ny .

1. h4rm0ny

I need speed - any other options?

I'm moving house and one of the places on the potential list looks okay. Problem? It's currently ADSL and the online guesstimate tools say "You can get up to 6Mb/s" and the 'can I get fibre?' online tools all say: "not currently". That's not good enough for me. I need speed for both work and non-work.

The online rollout map for BT Infinity says: "Under Evaluation" for the local exchange.

Am I missing any options? Even expensive ones? Can you get dedicated lines laid? Are there more expensive business packages that will offer fibre-like speeds even if the local cabinet others are using wont offer it?

And what normally happens with "Under Evaluation". Do they eventually turn into "Coming Soon" or do they often become "No plans".

Is there ANY way around this, or do I have to cross the house from my list?

1. JulianB

Re: I need speed - any other options?

I'm facing a similar (but worse) situation. The obvious answer seems to be satellite - Eurosat or similar. Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing?

1. h4rm0ny

Re: I need speed - any other options?

I do not, but an option I turned up that I hadn't known about was to purchase multiple lines. It's pricey but there are providers that actually sell this as a package. It's called ADSL bonding. That way you get the upload and the download speeds. I'm wary of satellite.

Look at providers such as these: http://www.eclipse.net.uk/bonded-dsl .

I was considering this, but as I wrote further down, I turned down the place because connectivity and took a different place.

2. Raistlin

move to Bournemouth

Move to Bournemouth as Gigler broadband offering FTTH with up to 1gig download if your after speed

1. h4rm0ny

Re: move to Bournemouth

Thanks for the reply. I looked into getting multiple lines put in and running them in parallel, which is actually both possible and feasible. However, it was a costly solution and still didn't get me up to the speeds that I wanted, so I ended up buying a different house.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: move to Bournemouth

>> so I ended up buying a different house.

LOL!!!!

3. asddf

I don't have a problem with using it - though there are certainly cases where wires would make more sense - but I do have an issue with the simple quantity of the damn things.

sara

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon