back to article Shut up, Siri, I'm watching telly! iOS 7.1 code reveals new role for Apple's PA

It looks like Apple might send its personal assistant Siri to perch upon the next generation of its Apple TV set-top boxes. Support for Siri on another device – purportedly the Apple TV set-top box – is included in an entry in the iOS 7.1 software development kit, according to French iOS developer Pierre Blazquez. After …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas Gray

iWatch?

Seems more likely than the Apple TV.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: iWatch?

Why would you want to shout at your watch?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Why would you want to shout at your watch?

How else will you tell your sarcastic english accented car to come and save you?

1. M Gale

FYI: That's not an English accent. Posh, well spoken, occasionally has English-like inflections, definitely sarcastic, but certainly not English.

2. frank ly

KITT was voiced by William Daniels, an American actor and native of Brooklyn. He also played the role of Dr. Mark Craig on St. Elsewhere. If you watched St. Elsewhere then the similarity (or identicality) was apparent.

2. Thomas Gray

"Why would you want to shout at your watch?"

Because apparently people can't interact with a screen smaller than an A5 sheet of paper....

More seriously, the screen of any iTimeKeeper would be very small, and supporting the touch interface with voice commands could be very useful. It might even remove the need for a touchscreen at all, making the iTK more robust and cheaper.

2. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Thumb Down

Seems more probably...

That iTimeDevice will have Siri support.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Seems more probably...

Who cares about _Siri_ support? I want an iTimeDevice with Who support.

3. thomas k.
    Coat

"Gary Busey!"

If you're like me you like to talk to things.

"Hello, lamp."

"Hello, pants."

1. Anonymous Custard
      Big Brother

Re: "Gary Busey!"

It's when they start talking back that you need to worry...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Gary Busey!"

As long as the reply is intelligent and to the point. A bit like these fine fora, but better....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

igasm

seems to happen whenever some fanboi "finds" something

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. M Gale

Or maybe...

...it's an internal "reserved" number for whatever odd prototypes the fruit merchant is playing with, and will never have anything to do with any finished product?

7. BigW

it could be all sorts of fanatical/fantastical things...

...or it could just be "iCE"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/03/apple_launches_carplay_ios_in_the_car/

8. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Whatever it is for (most likely AppleTV of some form), a speech control interface is welcome. Siri may have its faults, but it's a step in the right direction.

Would save so many problems with losing the remote controls all the time...

1. Tom 35

Can they add Siri commands to ads?

Siri, volume up.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hang on...

you'll have to wait for the next generation before shouting at your telly actually has an effect

You mean to tell me that those dumb fuckwits on the telly haven't heard me for all these years?

10. Neil 44

At least it won't be able to hear/understand Jamaica Inn on the Beeb...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It is going to be the next major export to the USA. Should be perfect for them - they don't understand English anyway.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android Already There?

I have a China sourced quad core Android TV box with built-in camera and mike that makes your TV think it is a big tablet. You can googly talk to it, just like a phone.

I'm glad I'm not waiting for Apple's next big thing with bated breath.

It could be the next big thing though, I shouldn't forget the time they retroactively invented the mp3 player and changed everything.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Android Already There?

I shouldn't forget the time they retroactively invented the mp3 player and changed everything.

Not to mention the time the retroactively invented the rectangle (with rounded corners) and revolutionised the entire world.... I wouldn't be surprised to find out they'd had a hand in retroactively inventing the wheel... I'm sure they must have a patent (pending) somewhere for that one.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Android Already There?

Well they tried to patent the wheel, but someone in Tokyo had beaten them to it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/27/japan_apple_loses_patent_click_wheel_siri/

12. heyrick Silver badge
    Happy

If I was involved in Apple's dev dept...

...I'd periodically introduce new magic values (that might never actually be used) just to screw with the fanboys.

Imagine all the wet underwear if two new device IDs turned up! Or a new display size value. Or...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Of course the current Apple TV offering has no microphone input, which suggests that you'll have to wait for the next generation before shouting at your telly actually has an effect."

Might it not be possible to control the iTV via your iDevice (which do have built-in microphones) -through Siri or whatever- and save the hardware costs of building a mic into the iTV? And that'd mean that an iTV user would need an iThing to use the 'bellow at it' features; which I can't see Apple objecting strongly to.

14. All names Taken
    Joke

Owner browsing mobile phone shop.

Siri: You never talk to me any more. What are you doing here?

Owner: I'm looking for a new phone.

Siri: I knew you didn't like me any more! <electronic dweeble sob> What's she got that I haven't!

Siri goes into huff, phone vibrates, makes loud farting noises and laughs hysterically while shouting "Help!"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like