back to article TalkTalk's catch-up telly fib silenced by ad watchdog

Budget telco TalkTalk has been barked at by the Advertising Standards Authority after the company wrongly suggested that a whole host of TV channels were available via its catch-up service. Two complainants griped to the watchdog about a telly ad they said had misled them by implying that content on television services was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Swarthy

Judging from other ASA Articles

I'm going to guess the ad run had finished ~two weeks ago?

2. teebie

"The regulator told TalkTalk that the advert must not appear again in its current form"

That will teach them.

My mistake, that will make no difference to them whatsoever.

3. Eradicate all BB entrants

I am still awaiting the day .....

...... one of the organisations turns around and says 'What are you gonna do about it if I don't?' then buy every slot of daytime tv to show it in.

1. 's water music

Re: I am still awaiting the day .....

The ASA will be very disappointed in them, which explains why nobody has ever tried this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I am still awaiting the day .....

and they will write to them to say how very, very disappointed they are.

4. DaLo

I don't think Talk Talk committed much of a crime with this one. The ASA ruling also stated as much, it was only a few particular semantics that meant the ruling was upheld.

Overall I don't think many companies really set out to push the boundaries of what will be acceptable but they do want to promote themselves in the best way possible. For instance a holiday company advertising the cost of its holiday as "from £250 per week" isn't going to choose to instead say "at the most £700 per week" because it is that price over Christmas. However if it is nearly always £750 and for one week in November it is £250 then that would obviously be a breach.

The rulings may seem to have very little clout but what they do is make a precedent and as nearly all ads have to go through Clearcast to be approved, Clearcast will now re-adjust to the new ruling and should reject ads that breach this ruling.

If an ad passes Clearcast (many get rejected and sent back to be re-done) then they will generally be of a fairly high quality with regards to the BACP code. However if a complaint is made then the ASA have a lot longer time to investigate, speak to technical advisers, gather statements etc.

In the case of this advert and some of the other recent rulings I don't think most advertisers would have thought that the ad breached guidelines and neither did Clearcast so it wouldn't exactly be fair to administer a massive punitive fine. The hassle of an investigation, having your card marked and possibly having to re-shoot ads is enough of a deterrent.

5. Lallabalalla

I'd be more interested if...

somebody had finally complained that TalkTalk's broadband offering is so slow and flaky that watching TV - esp. hi-def - is virtually impossible most of the time.

TalkTalk - Worst.ISP.Ever. IMHO :)

1. Steven Raith

Re: I'd be more interested if...

Indeed. I've been borrowing my neighbours TalkTalk internet while waiting for BT to stop fucking everything up WRT to my internet connection/phone line. his internet is fibre, but it'll barely stream Netflix.

And I don't mean in high profile HD, I mean at all. And youtube in HD was barely usable, and this is over a near carrier grade client router AP (the sort of thing you use to hop 20km valleys, with no problems) that has been connected to it at a rock solid 150mbps, routing it to my local 5ghz AP - so no local wifi problems that I could ascertain. Truly shocking, but then my new neighbour doesn't really use the internet, so he doesn't notice.

Had my IDNet connection hooked up today (after BT cancelled my simultaneous provision of phone and fibre, and only provided phone, two weeks ago - the pricks - the local subcontrated engineer, and IDNet, are faultless in this - it's all down to BTs core ops people, who are total arseholes - the guys in the exchange don't even answer the phone to engineers), I get a full 80mb (76mbps through speedtest.net to a geographically local server) and it's a revelation having actual bandwidth for streaming services and ISO downloads again, etc. Quality costs, mind. £30+vat per month. Totally worth it to stream Archer in HD though. Which TalkTalk could barely stream, period.

TalkTalk - borderline fraud that you pay for.

Steven R

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The regulator gave TalkTalk a ferocious gumming"

No mercy.

7. Lamont Cranston

Hang on.

If YouView doesn't give you access to iPlayer/itvPlayer/4OD/Demand5 via scrolling back through the EPG, what does it do?

1. Lazlo Woodbine

Re: Hang on.

That's exactly what it does do, but if a program isn't made available on catch-up TV by the broadcaster then there's bugger all that You View / Talk Talk / BT Vision can do about it

1. Lamont Cranston

Thanks for clearing that up, Lazlo. Looks like I'm going to have to side with TalkTalk on this - the complainants are idiots.

2. Deano2099

Actually given how limited the number of shows not available on catch-up are, I do wonder if BT Vision or any of the hard-drive-based boxes could just be set up to passively record anything that wouldn't be available to stream later, then delete after seven days, thus providing a comprehensive service.

1. Swarthy

Well, Aero is trying that in the US... We'll see how it goes.

2. DaLo

How would they know that a broadcast won't be available on demand later? It's usually not easy to tell unless the broadcaster was to add a tag to the description

1. Lamont Cranston
            Joke

It'd be nice to think that a collaborative effort, like the YouView consortium, could get their act together and tag the relevant content for local recording.

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

It's easy enough to do with a HTPC and suitable tuners installed. The only downside is you need one tuner per multiplex and a fair wodge of disk space.

(If you do it this way you can install DVB-T AND DVB-S tuners in the same box....)

1. therealmav

>It's easy enough to do with a HTPC and suitable tuners installed.

Or you could just buy a Humax PVR (other brands are available).

3. Tim Almond

but that is misleading, especially as some of the stuff that I'd most like to watch on catchup (major US comedies for example) often isn't on there and I'm not sure if there's catchup for channels like Dave at all.

1. Lazlo Woodbine

You View only has access to BBC iPlayer (BBC 1,2,3 & 4), ITV Player (ITV 1, 2,3 & 4), 4OD (Ch 4 and limited shows from More 4 & E4, not Film 4) & Demand 5 (Ch 5 and some of 5* and 5 USA).

Pretty much all BBC output is available on iPlayer straight after broadcast except MOTD, the commercial channels don't always have streaming rights to US shows so really there's nothing You View or anyone else can do about this, perhaps they need to make their small print a bit bigger with regards to lack of availability for some shows

2. Lamont Cranston

Re: a catchup for Dave?

Sure there is - Dave the next day/week/month/year, until the end of time.

8. i like crisps
    Big Brother

Steps back in amazement!

TalkTalk still going!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like