back to article Leaked pics show EMBIGGENED iPhone 6 screen

Fruity toy maker Apple’s next iPhone looks like it will definitely have a significantly bigger screen, if you believe the latest images to have found their way onto the Chinternet. One shot, which appeared on Sina Weibo (via VR-Zone), shows a front panel purportedly from the currently in-production iPhone 6 dwarfing a black …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning

What's this Chinternet thing?

Is this supposed to be some slur on the credibility along the lines of:

"I'll only believe this when it gets posted on the Real NSA-monitored American DARPA Internet."

1. 20legend

Re: What's this Chinternet thing?

...and the internet in China is so free from censorship and monitoring isn't it? not to mention the credibility of all the tech rumours that emanate from it...

2. AceRimmer

As a Sanmsung S3 and then Note 2 user

iPhones do feel absurdly small.

The larger screen is very nice for web browsing and emailing during the day

1. jason 7

Re: As a Sanmsung S3 and then Note 2 user

I call iPhones, iTrinkets now.

It's so teeny tiny!

2. ThomH

But then does 4.7" go far enough? The S3 was 4.8" if my Googling holds up but both the S4 and the S5 are 5.1". Those are linear measurements so, assuming the same aspect ratios all around (the iPhone's just a rumour, so who knows?) then both the current and previous Galaxies have about 18% more screen surface area. Though I guess the correct thing to compare that to is the whopping 63% more they offer versus the 4" iPhone?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"iPhones do feel absurdly small.

The larger screen is very nice for web browsing and emailing during the day"

I've owned both. Maybe if you bump up the font size on Android it makes for a nicer experience. Stock Android displays text on a Nexus 4 at almost exactly the same size as an iPhone, so the only advantage is that you have to scroll a little bit less on the larger screen.

Frankly I much prefer the smaller device with the smaller screen (iPhone). After using the Nexus 4 for ~6 weeks I still wasn't used to its size in my pocket. It didn't fit very well in the little storage tray in my car either. I can use my iPhone for certain things one-handed no problem (e.g., taking a picture or switching between songs/podcasts) whereas I had to use the Nexus with two hands to do the same things. Also that big screen sucks down power about as fast as USB can supply it, so you can't really use it and charge it at the same time, as you can with an iPhone.

I hope that Apple either doesn't make bigger devices or they keep the smaller devices as an option.

3. plrndl
    Trollface

Lawyer Alert

Looks like they're copying Samsung.

1. Wade Burchette

Re: Lawyer Alert

No no no. You have it all backwards. Apple just received a patent for a phone with a bigger screen and is now preparing to sue Samsung.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lawyer Alert

"Looks like they're copying Samsung."

Certainly looks like specifications are converging. That probably helps Google more than Apple or Samsung, since it has always been easy to tell the difference between Android and Apple products but the obvious competition for a larger iPhone 6 (looking rather "me-too" in the crowded top end smartphone segment) isn't a Galaxy S5, it is more likely to be the premium feel top end HTC and Sony devices, with sealed batteries and possibly fixed storage.

4. petur
    WTF?

Strange picture

That's some pretty weird photoshopping.... some unexplainable arm and leg popping out the side of the frame?

1. AceRimmer
      Joke

Re: Strange picture

Simple explanation: Apple have made the screen bigger than the phone

2. cosmo the enlightened

Re: Strange picture

No, if you look through the glass on the white unit, you will see that the rest of the person is bending over and it looks like he is having a poke about the palette of white frames on the ground.

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

Well

At least it's an improvement on the adverts featuring people with little hands holding an iPhone with both of them.

6. Fab De Marco

They're going to need a hand model with bigger hands to pull thing one off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O99m7lebirE

7. CraPo

@petur

It's just the front case with a clear screen that you can see right through, hence you can see the fingers of the woman holding the iPhone and the case side by side. There's someone bending over behind it that you can see through the screen and to the side. Took me a while to see it.

8. Sebastian Brosig

phablet

just been to china... people there appear to love their phablets. Lots of people aren't actually that big and neither are their hands, but a Galaxy Note or some other huge phone is what people (affluent ones who can afford to fly to Taiwan) use.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: phablet

I was in Hong Kong last month, and my Galaxy Note was about the smallest phone you could see on the MTR. Some other people did have Galaxy Notes, but a lot of people had bigger phones than that, typically about 7" screen size.

1. ARP2

Re: phablet

Same- I was there not so long ago and everyone had the Sony Xperia phablets.

9. Matthew 17

Hateful

WTF is it with smartphones getting continually bigger, who wants this?

1. Wyrdness

Re: Hateful

It's fashion. Eventually they'll start shrinking again, once tiny phones again become the next 'must have' for fashion victims.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Joke

first there was 'Peak Beard' now...

it is peak smartphone screen size.

soon it will be sooooooo uncool to be seen with a Phablet or anything larger than 5in (no not that 5in size!!!!!).

2. Steve Evans

Well if I were a iPhone fan, I'd want a bigger screen.

I'm a man, with man-size hands. A single finger obscure half a dozen letters on the teeny tiny virtual keyboard. Given that my fingers aren't sharpened to a point, it can get tricky to type at a useful speed on any of the iphone models.

1. Matthew 17

I'm 6'6 and of the big hand variety (sized 15 feet too), those large 'droid phones that you see folk use are too big to use one handed comfortably, you have to hold in one and prod with other. Liked the smaller form factor of the iPhone, if I want to use something bigger then there's the iPad. Also with the constant size changing then any dock or car adaptor is no good again, only just had to replace everything to make it Lightning compatible.

3. ARP2

I think 4.7" is the right size (assuming rumors are true). I was considering a Moto X and really liked the size, just big enough to see everything clearly, but small enough that I can fit in my jeans/trousers and not look "happy to see them."

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

<<< WTF is it with smartphones getting continually bigger, who wants this? >>>

Agreed! It does seem as though there is a demand but for my money I hope they also make a phone the same size as at present. A small increase in size might be ok but I'd like to still be able to hold the phone in one hand and reach the whole screen with my thumb. When I need something larger, I'll pick up my iPad. If I'm talking on the phone a smaller size makes no difference at all.

5. jonathanb Silver badge

I guess people who like to draw Chinese characters by hand on the screen rather than use Pinyin to type them find it easier to do that on a larger screen.

10. MooseMonkey

I need to buy some glasses

I updated my sat nav, my bike computer, my laptop for bigger screens, then realised it was me.

11. Nifty Silver badge

Hurry up Apple, I am waiting for my wife's iPhone 4s once she can get her hands on the 5.5" screened iPhone.

Once thing driving the decision is, there is no decent SIM plan in the UK for occasional data on a tablet.

For example Three 321 cannot be used on a iPad mini 3g/4g but is the perfect tariff. And any kind of tethering is out out out.

1. Tachikoma

there is no decent SIM plan in the UK for occasional data on a tablet.

GiffGaff, 500MB for £5/m, you can auto-renew or let it lapse after a month as desired.

1. Gio Ciampa

The limited GiffGaff tariffs allow tethering also (the unlimited ones don't)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or you can just bluetooth tether and hope they don't notice...

So far they haven't noticed I do that on my tablet quite often.

2. Trooper_ID

i use Tesco pay monthly, ( 30 day contract ), and I can tether to my phone. So no, I didn’t pay extra for the sim version of the iPad, I just tether to the phone. Easy.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Energy crisis solved

“The reason we [won't] make a 7-inch tablet isn’t because we don’t want to hit [a lower] price point,” Jobs said. “It’s because we think the screen is too small to express the software. As a software driven company, we think about the software strategies first.”

....iPad Mini

In response to a question at its press conference today about whether Apple could've done anything to avoid its antenna issues with the iPhone 4, Steve took the opportunity to rip on bigger rivals, saying that making a phone so big "you can't get your hand around it" helps, but that "no one's going to buy that."

....Bigger Iphone

Hook a generator up to Steve Jobs spinning corpse and you could probably power a small town.

1. Sir Alien
      Alien

Re: Energy crisis solved

Yes and No. It depends, but first my disclaimer. I use a Nexus 5 so very much so not a "fanboy" as some would say. That is also a very overused and stupid word anyway.

For a phone size wise the iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 has not changed much in overall dimensions. It got slightly taller but in the average persons hands its easy to use even one handed. So Jobs saying a big phone is bad is not that they won't make a bigger one but they are saying that there are limits. My Nexus 5 I think is as big as a phone should be and any bigger seems pointless since one handed usage can be difficult at times even with my larger than normal hands. Apple in this case are first trying to cater to the majority (80% to 90%)

Same thing with the tablet. Technically there is no 7 inch iPad since it is actually 8 inches. It also offers what means other tablets don't which is a nice aspect ratio. 3:2 would have been better but 4:3 is similar. The only time I see 16:9 being nice is when watching a film.

I like the Nexus range which is why I still use android but if everything is getting massive where you won't be able to get a less than 5 inch phone any more that at least has good specs then I might actually consider getting an iPhone.

I doubt Apple are making a 5.5 or 6+ inch phone and my guess all these leaks are a load of bollocks but if they did then in all likelihood you will find the smaller options will sell many more units.

Just seems so many people interpret other peoples words to their liking. Why do you think all this in fighting is happening between them humans. :-D

13. tony
    Happy

I'll be happy when you can get a 8inch phone.

Along with a 4inch tablet.

1. joeW

Sammy's got you covered!

Here's your 8" phone - http://gizmodo.com/5986485/galaxy-note-80-hands-on-the-8-inch-tablet-as-an-8-inch-phone

And, if you define a tablet as a phone without the phone bits, here's your 4" tablet - http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-4-Inch-Galaxy-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B005P1VMLU/ref=zg_bs_2739893011_2

It never ceases to amaze me how well the "chuck every possible size and shape of device at the wall and see what sticks" approach has worked for them.

2. Richard Plinston

> Along with a 4inch tablet.

Nokia N770, N800, N810, N900

I still use my N800, it is a nice size.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

I have an N810 lying around, but there's no support for the thing. At all. Even the community support has gone up in smoke.

3. jonathanb Silver badge

Does my iPod Touch count? It has a 4" screen.

14. Keep Refrigerated

Oh look Apple 'innovating' again!

Seems like these days Apple is playing catch up... after lobbing sue-ball after sue-ball over their 'innovative' slide to unlock, they're adopting more and more features of their competition. I guess those features are somehow not 'innovative' enough, allowing Apple adopt them without fear of back-draft.

Apple's story strikes me of a hare continually racing a tortoise. It races ahead, then having decided it has innovated enough, it takes a long nap, outsources all production to it's PR department, and allows the tortoise competition to catch up, overtake, and win every time.

15. Nanners

Don't

Don't believe the hype.

16. Philip Lewis

Samsung = shot gun marketing

Apple = targetted marketing

Samsung want to be all things to all people. It is debatable which is the best profit maximising strategy, either short term or long term.

17. John Savard

Empathy

It's easy to mock those who favor Apple products for getting excited about Apple offering a choice that has already been long available for Windows (in the case of the Mac) or for Android (in the case of the iPhone). But they have their reasons for finding Apple products to be of better quality.

18. OrsonX
    Flame

Will it come with a thumb extender?

Otherwise how will I reach from here, to here, just so.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like