back to article Reg gets sneak peek of Getac's chunky TOUGH AS NAILS 8.1-incher

Getac has been a major player in the rugged tech market for 25 years, offering tablets, laptops and even servers built to withstand serious physical abuse. The latest in the line is the T800 – a chunky compact 8.1-inch tablet available with Windows 7 or 8.1. Getac T800 pre-production sample Getac T800 pre-production sample, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Custard

Holiday reading

but with that dust and splash protection, it’ll certainly prove its worth on the beach.

So it'll have a ready-market for those management types who can't take more than 10 minutes off from their emails for fear that either the company will grind to a halt, or more likely that it won't and quite how little contribution they actually make might be noticed.

Proof against sun, sea and sand and chunky enough to be used as a blunt instrument by their exasperated spouses fed up with being ignored for the sake of that last email no doubt.

2. Gordon 10
    WTF?

GPS as an option?

As above. I presume that means its wifi only? They might as well have gone the whole hog and created a 4G version and got the GPS for free.

So at 1099 will it really last longer than 5 cheapass android tablets in cheap waterproof cases?

1. Tom 38

Re: GPS as an option?

Yes.

2. sabroni Silver badge

Re: will it last longer than 5 android tables in cheap waterproof cases?

wikipedia says of MIL-STD-810G:

MIL-STD-810 addresses a broad range of environmental conditions that include: low pressure for altitude testing; exposure to high and low temperatures plus temperature shock (both operating and in storage); rain (including wind blown and freezing rain); humidity, fungus, salt fog for rust testing; sand and dust exposure; explosive atmosphere; leakage; acceleration; shock and transport shock; gunfire vibration; and random vibration.

Sounds more durable than 5 waterproof cases.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"So at 1099 will it really last longer than 5 cheapass android tablets in cheap waterproof cases?"

I think more importantly it's less likely to die on you at a very inopportune moment, like your alternatives might.

Plus it runs real Windows not some noddy flashy bug fest of a phone OS*.

Yes ok I added that just to see the downvotes!

1. joeW
        Trollface

True, it runs a noddy flashy bug fest of a PC OS instead.

4. big_D Silver badge

The things are well 'ard!

We've been using them for half a decade, mainly with Linux installed. They are very rugged (used for lairage management in slaughter houses and for cool house management after the slaughter line. They are exposed to all sorts of crud and they are just washed down with a high pressure hose after the shift.

So often as they are dropped, I wouldn't think an android in a waterproof case can keep up. My Galaxy was dropped from 1M onto marble tiles and, although the screen remained intact (it lande glass side down, but completely flat, so the shock was distributed evenly, pure luck), the antennas stopped working. Dropping that thing from 1M onto concrete won't even make it blink.

We haven't had any reclamation from our customers, and some are still using the devices that were delivered half a decade ago.

The only thing I've seen that was tougher is the old Husky line from the 80s. One of our field engineers got stuck in a field, stuck his Husky under a rear wheel of his Mercedes K-Wagen and managed to get enough traction to drive out of the field. He walked back, picked up the Husky, washed it off in a near-by stream and carried on working. Try doing that with a Galaxy Tab, waterproof box or no.

3. Mike Moyle

"but with that dust and splash protection, it’ll certainly prove its worth on the beach."

...So where's the Reg-standard picture of the girl on the beach with the tablet badly Photoshopped in place of the netbook?

Right, El Reg -- Go and write a hundred lines "I will not mention computers on the beach without including the gratuitous picture of the Eee girl."

4. Chris G

Wow!

" shock and transport shock; gunfire vibration; and random vibration."

You can fire it from a gun? Now that's what I call hardware.

Although a little pricey at 1099 a shot there are a few targets/people that might be worth the expense, it would be poetic justice for them to be shot with a tablet.

1. Mark 85

Re: Wow!

Probably not fired from a gun but mounted on the gun to aid in targeting... Hmm... GPS, some nice apps, maybe a laser rangefinder and it'll be a must-have!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Snapback replacing standard ports?

I'd be interested to know whether they adopted the backpack system to avoid having to use standard connectors. The build quality of the only model of their laptops that I've used was awful - because ruggedising a standard RJ45 port is really hard. I personally broke seven, in an office environment, so gods help the poor sod trying to use one in a rainy field while mortars are flying overhead.

(The rubber armour around the ports made it impossible to release the locking catch on the cables without putting strain on the surface-mounted PCB connectors, and the lead-free solder gave up after 20-30 connection cycles. After which they had to go back to Getac for refurb. Repaired for free under warranty, but the turnaround time killed us. We gave up and swapped to zero clients in the end, because when they broke we could bin them and fit a new one.)

AC for obvious reasons...

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Snapback replacing standard ports?

Your average soldier isn't running around the battlefield with a 100M ethernet cable trailing behind him! :-D

The same for our users. The tablets we used never went anywhere near an RJ45 cable. They are used in slaughterhouses and use wireless, it is a lot safer and more hygenic than trailing a network cable around through blood (slaughter line and cool house) and excrement (lairage).

This topic is closed for new posts.