back to article Microsoft TIER SMEAR changes app prices whether devs ask or not

When Microsoft introduced ”universal apps” for all its platforms at the recent Build conference, one of the things it promised was alignment between the prices it is possible to charge for software in its app stores. It makes little sense, after all, for Irritated Avians to have different prices on different platforms when …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Developers, developers, developers

Microsoft knows better than it's customers and partners, why not it's developers too?

1. dogged

Re: Developers, developers, developers

Beancounters, beancounters, beancounters.

Since when did any major framework change happen without cockups?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Funny you should ask. I was thinking about that just yesterday. The answer? When proper engineers are involved and given final say. They manage to build bridges here with no major mistakes all the time. They pave roads, erect skyscrapers and build pipelines that go thousands of kilometers that are well thought out, well planned and work as intended for the intended lifetime of the project (and beyond.)

Now, things do go titsup.com when people do stupid things. For example, running an oil pipeline for 20 years beyond it rated lifespan. But for the most part proper engineering - at least around here - has been free of the kinds of high-profile screwups we so blithely accept in IT.

Engineers build models, simulations, over design and underpromise. They are the antithesis of the kinds of marketdroid beancounting asshats that design software these days and that's precisely the problem.

Software is all about "get it out the door", not "make it work as originally specced." Beta testing on live people is considered acceptable. That attitude is complete shite, and we shouldn't stand for it.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Engineering wasn't always that good. Back in ye old days, bridges etc used to collapse with surprising regularity, even after they had just been built and the supports taken away.

The Romans reputedly dealt with that by requiring the responsible engineer to stand under the bridge when the supports were removed. After a very short adjustment period, Roman engineering projects tended to be to done to a standard admired after a couple of thousand years.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've made a modest living (on the side) out of selling shrink-wrapped desktop applications for Windows.

So my next move should be selling copies for less than a quid (while giving a 30% cut for the privilege) on an app store with hardly any punters, and rife of fake/troll reviews? On a platform that people are avoiding, and that will be soon abandoned by it's creator in favour of the next shiny object?

[Yes, I have published a metro app]

I'd make more money by putting the source on github, with a donation button.

3. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

So, once again...

... in the online world, the Dollar and Sterling have achieved parity...

4. PeterM42

Ah, Microsoft

The company that does not understand the marketplace.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like