back to article Forget the beach 'n' boardwalk, check out the Santa Cruz STEVE JOBS FOUNTAIN

When Apple cofounder Steve Jobs passed away in 2011, makeshift shrines and memorial tributes popped up around the globe. Steve Jobs fountain sculpture outside the Felix Kulpa Gallery in Santa Cruz, California Bow down and worship the Baked Apple (click to enlarge) Most of these iShrines were temporary in nature and were …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ecofeco Silver badge

I love satire!

...disguised as tribute art.

It is sublime.

2. LarsG

You do realise that he is not dead, he is just in hiding and lives next door to Elvis.

1. Steven Raith

It's true, it's all in the Loch Ness Monsters autobiography.

3. southpacificpom
    WTF?

iJunk

That "work of art" is as tacky as some of those horrid seashell ornaments that granny use to buy every year at Blackpool.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iJunk

I think that's the point, don't you?

4. Khaptain Silver badge
    Gimp

Speechless

Really speechless

5. Tromos

Stylish

Even Ives couldn't have done a better job.

(Do I really need the sarcasm tags?)

6. Crazy Operations Guy

Apple; totally not a personality cult.

From the photos I've seen there are more images of Steve Jobs per square meter in California than there are of Kim Il-Sung in PyongYang.

1. JP 6

Images per meter

" images of Steve Jobs per square meter in California " If you mean for APPLE and the logo, I can see your point. But for just Jobs, there aren't that many bookstore. There is a street named for Steve Wozniak in San Jose. (Woz Way.)

1. yakitoo

Re:images of Steve Jobs per square meter

This sounds like a suitable candidate for an El Reg unit of measurement.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Re:images of Steve Jobs per square meter

"Inverse images of Jobs per square metre"

That would be "Inverse icons of Jobs per square metre."

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Not every image of the late Mr. Jobs is actually an icon. They only become icons when they are put up in Apple Stores or other religious institutions.

Oh dear, the snark is strong upon me today.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"Not every image of the late Mr. Jobs is actually an icon."

Could we use the measured value of IIJm2 to determine if a location is in fact a religious institution? Perhaps anything below a 5?

2. Captain DaFt

Re: Images per meter

"There is a street named for Steve Wozniak in San Jose. (Woz Way.)"

A one way street, I take it?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not that bad

C'mon people, try googling "bad public art" if you want some real pain. This one isn't even close. In fact, the tackyness only enhances the tribute. Besides, how many of us are going to get a tribute of any kind, even a tacky one? Not a whole lot. And from a non-fanboi, computer-avoider, no less!

Face it, Jobs made a big impact for better or worse, and a weird, somewhat "inaccessible" statue is pretty appropos, I think. It's certanly less evil than that hideous squared-off post-thingy hoax that was unveiled a while back.

1. Trygve Henriksen

Re: Not that bad

It's a lot better than most 'tributes' to famous people I've seen.

8. Anonymous Prime

I like XKCD's tribute: a spinning beach ball. "There's always the hope that if you sit and watch for long enough, the beachball will vanish and the thing it interrupted will return."

Another interpretation I've read: "Steve Jobs is no longer responding to external events."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like