back to article 'I was like, yea!' 5-year-old found his Xbox so easy to use, he hacked it

We haven't heard any expletive-laden smackdowns from Linux kernel chief Linus Torvalds in a while, so this week he obliged us all with a beaut. The head penguin railed on developer Kay Sievers, one of the key figures behind systemd, which isn't in the kernel but is one of the first essential programs to launch after Linux boots …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Baudwalk

Kristoffer Von Hassel...

...broke into computer networks for fun at the age of 5.

Sounds like Marvel's next Dr. Doom reboot.

2. Oh Homer
    Headmaster

"systemd ... is one of the first essential programs to launch"

Not on any of my Linux boxes.

3. Tom 13

Torvalds might be a foul mouthed asshat

and probably do need to update the kernel to block the error.

That doesn't change the fact that he was way more right than wrong about this.

And hopefully as word of Torvalds' take down spreads, the jackalope causing the problems loses clout for *his* pet project. Which is probably more of what Torvalds was aiming at than actually keeping patches out of the kernel proper.

4. ben edwards

I think the xbox kid got screwed out of a bigger bounty. Bypassing age restrictions? Password spoofing? Is COPPA applicable on xbox? Could he have bought stuff? How does it affect ESRB?

Seems like a "professional" security guy would have been given a few grand for this discovery.

5. Javapapa

GoTinder hackers

Apply here http://www.loebner.net/Prizef/loebner-prize.html for your $100,000 Turing Test prize.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: GoTinder hackers

Plenty of chatbots have managed to fool some people. It's easy when you go for the low-hanging fruit (stupid people motivated by greed, sex, etc). The Turing Test - which is a philosophical proposition, not a proposal for a practical decision procedure - is generally held to a somewhat higher standard, if not rejected outright either as proposition (e.g. by Searle) or practice (e.g. by French).

6. Liam2

The WD MyBook Live is far more valuable to me as a low-power fully open Linux system after turning MyCloud off.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cattle Clash - or Castle Clash...

...which is the typo?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like