back to article NASA invites you to travel to the Moon

NASA is inviting citizens of Earth to add their name to an electronic roll-call destined to travel to the Moon aboard the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) later this year. All you have to do is enter your details here, and they'll be put into a database for later storage on a chip aboard the LRO. Cathy Peddie, deputy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Data/lunar base

So THIS is where they're gonna store all our ID details. Talk about secure! It'd take a good deal more than a determined hacker to get our details once there. Hope they don't get lost in the post...

[PS. and what is the point exactly?]

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

er what's the point?

I'm not sure I entirely see the point, especially as it'll be full of stupid names like Elvis Presley, Gary Glitter etc by now anyway...so they'll probably just bin it and 'say' they took it to the moon!

3. Chris Bradshaw
    Alien

a Who's Who for the alien overlords

when they arrive.

And of course I would like to be among the first to welcome our new alien overlords after their tiring journey etc etc...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

5 years later...

"Erm, we've come to pick up the junk on the list you sent us, sorry we're a bit late, traffic around the Nebula is a nightmare...what?...well we've got to leave with something, we came with a bottle of wine to sweeten the deal and everything."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Pictures !

If I have read the narrow angle camera specs correctly... the image scale will be 0.5m per pixel... We'll finaly see the Apollo landing sites then... perhaps.

The non-radiation proof space suit...

6. Chris
    Thumb Up

Data Sending

They've got this all wrong.

They need people to add names, addresses, bank details, child allowance details...etc...

and then the thing is absolutely guaranteed to be picked up by some alien and flogged on etBay!

7. Hollerith

dauntless

"Everyone who sends their name to the moon ... becomes part of the next wave of lunar explorers"

What courage. Scott would be proud. Yes, I climbed Everest, or rather, my name was embroidered on the actual climbers T-shirt -- but that counts!

8. Joey
    Stop

Has anybody considered the security implications?

Put your email address on a web site and you will get spam from all over the World. Putting your name unprotected on the surface of the Moon is an open invitation to have your identity lifted by whatever passes for scum across the Galaxy!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@er what's the point/what is the point exactly?

Er, presumably to generate publicity about the mission and get a new generation of children interested in space exploration, by firing their imagination.

10. George Johnson
    Alert

Tin foil hats on!

Sounds like our world leaders latest attempts to gather all our details in one convenient database. I mean who's going to have anything bad to say about nice "Uncle NASA" eh?

11. ImaGnuber
    Dead Vulture

@Joey

So the list of names gets ripped off by some alien spammer - aren't you even a bit curious about the sex toys they would offer? The 'enhancements'?

The wacked vulture cuz he tried'em all.

12. robmac
    Happy

Lunar Names

Fantastic Idea!

however, it would have been better if users could add their second name??

Or even address, DOB etc. still my children will love it

13. It'sa Mea... Mario
    Alert

If we really did go in '69...

..and successfully return, then how come - dispite massive advances in computer tech, at least some advancement in space shuttle tech and nearly forty extra years worth of studing the moon - it is still gonna take another 12 years to plan the next trip?????

And surely the previous landing was safe? ;-)

14. Christoph
    Alien

Bad design

This is very bad design by NASA. The PDF certificates are not large enough to hold a complete name - it extends past the right hand edge.

Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel

15. Torben Mogensen

How will we know?

If we enter our names on the list, how will we ever know if they actually get sent to the moon? It is not as if they are in any way visible, and even if we see footage of a microchip being inserted in the lander module, we have no way of knowing what's on it.

And even if our great grand children in 100 years go to the moon and find the lander module, the information is probably unreadable by then.

So I will continue working on the rocket that will spray-paint my name on the moon in 100 mile-high letters. :-)

16. Luther Blissett

Who cares about water on the Moon

Beer is what we really want, especially in these times of changing climates.

17. Aodhhan

Boneheads

It isn't asking for anyones email address. In fact I could get more information about you by copying your automobile license plate information, or following you around for 2 hours.

This is a nice PR campaign for NASA, along with something kids (especially those interested in science) to get involved with. Stop taking things so literally; and get rid of your narcissistic personality disorder. It isn't about YOU.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I wonder.....

where the lander will actually land, I mean the wife & I own some land on the moon, I hope they will be asking permission at least. I would settle for a small sum in return for the use of my land. What a wise "investment" that turned out to be, Ha Ha to all those naysayers!

19. Stuart Halliday
    IT Angle

I bet..

I bet it's going to be encrypted or compressed to fit on a bit of ROM.

Plus I hope its going to be radiation shielded or within a couple of months it'll be wiped clean. ;-)

20. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

My name went to the moon....

....and all I got was this lousy T-shirt.

Well, someone had to say it (mutter, mutter), ingrates.......

21. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Re: Security implications.

Don't worry. I just signed up little Bobby Tables. By the time it gets to the moon, the chip will be blank!

22. Stuart
    Alien

I for one welcome our 419 overlords

Dear frend

My name is Manin Themoon and I am writing to you by the Power of the Universal POWER Lord See Leet Bang, to ask for your Assistance in a Matter that you will treat with the upmost secresy. IN my roll as LUNar Overlord I was entrusted With the care of 900 billion tons of LUNar green cheese but now due to the Erthmans invasion led by the Evil Waaall Ace and Gror Meet, I must URGENTLY get my Worlds Treasures to safety. I was given YOUR name as a sentient and compassionate being Who will be Able to quikly assist mee to Protect my Worlds Heritage. By the grace of THE ALL Powerful HAR PEEK and your promt Acton we can see This blessd mission to completion and we Will bothe benefit from the Bountiful Harvester. Please send me your banking account Details and copies of your identifications so that I may Deposit the funds to Arrange the tranzportation. Thank You my friend and Bless you and by the Will and Graces we will see the GLORIUS day when my cheese is Safe from the Erth invaders and their ally Meester SPune.

You’re frend in Waiting

Manin Themoon

23. Huns and Hoses
    Coat

Great marketing idea

Really. I mean, totally brilliant. Hauling stuff to the moon costs x per pound, right?

And you can pack an awful lot of names into an itty bitty rom chip thats probably already part of some other kit going there anyway.

Which, as previously pointed out, may or may not even be as real an event as your payment for same. I'd prefer someone carve the names on a moon rock or something, thereby creating a bit of home-like graffiti at least.

Upwards and onwards, brave pioneers of the unknown! Dont forget your towels...

24. Herby

Well, they do have the "International Star Registry"

Then: For only $52 we will send you a piece of paper that names a star after you.

Now: For only $100 (inflation, you know) we will send your name to the moon.

NASA could make zillions.

25. Charles Manning

@Finbar

This is such a small thing in a huge wave of stimuli and media reaching kids that most of them will get bored before they've even filled out the web form.

Once the moon had been reached and walked on (Apollo 11), interest in NASA dropped off remarkably. Apollo 13 only became newsworthy when things got dramatic.

26. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Alien

To infinity and beyond....!

All your data are belong to us!

etc...

27. Ambi Valent
    Gates Horns

Have you stopped to wonder.....

whether Microsoft is involved in the scam? Its hard not to pin Bill on this one.

28. TeeCee Gold badge
    Jobs Horns

@Ambi Valent

1) What scam? You enter a name, you get a printable certificate, er, that's it. (Possibly said name even goes to the moon as described - does it matter? Who's going to check and how?).

2) M$ don't do freebies, only loss-leaders.

Feel free to diss M$. Just try to make the effort to find a valid reason first, it's not like there aren't a few out there fer chrissake!

(Jobs with horns to even the balance and 'cos he's equally as irrelevant in context.)

29. Richard
    Dead Vulture

Agreed - what scam?

I can't see what the big deal is with everybody.

You put in a name, not an email address, bank details or anything else... and if you have a common name, the problem appears to be the futility of it rather than any security risk.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@It'sa Mea... Mario

>"..and successfully return, then how come - dispite massive advances in computer tech, at least some advancement in space shuttle tech and nearly forty extra years worth of studing the moon - it is still gonna take another 12 years to plan the next trip?????"

Um, because that's how long it takes. All the Saturn Vs are used, scrapped, or retired, we don't have any serviceable Apollo modules left, so what do you want? A whole lot of stuff has to be built from scratch, that means meetings, reports, committees, designing, planning, building prototypes, testing, debugging, building more prototypes, testing, debugging them, building the actual kit, testing it, assembling it, giving it a final once over and only then finally launching it.

Come on then, you're clearly claiming that it's some kind of conspiracy, so you ought to know: how long /should/ it take? And why? Let's see *your* detailed project plan. Because if you can't show that it can be done much faster, bang goes even your slightest hint of circumstantial evidence for the suggestion that you were too cowardly to come right out with (because even you know it's stupid and you don't want to look stupid): you're saying the original moon landings must have been a hoax or we would be able to do it quicker than twelve years. That might seem obvious to you, but the rest of us would like to know how you think you can say that - why not thirteen years, or eleven years?

Oh, and what you mentioned about the shuttle? That's irrelevant rubbish. The shuttle's a low-earth orbiter, it's got bugger-all use in a moon-flight capacity, so why even bring it up except to distract from the emptiness of your argument? Nothing we've learned from building shuttles would get us to the moon any faster.

Oh, and what you mentioned about forty years more studying the moon? That's irrelevant rubbish too. How the hell can you claim that looking at it through telescopes should teach us how to build rockets and organise large-scale human manpower projects any better? That's ridiculous!

This topic is closed for new posts.