back to article Cray flogs 1PB of TASty storage to German übercomputing boffins, leaves them in tiers

The North German Supercomputing Alliance (HLRN) is buying more than 1PB of tiered Cray storage to hold archived scientific research data. HLRN (Norddeutscher Verbund für Hoch- und Höchstleistungsrechnen) is a joint project of the seven northern German states of Berlin, Brandenburg, Bremen, Hamburg, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. lord_running_clam

Might be worthwhile to point out that the Cray-Versity software is based on the SAM-QFS code that Sun open-sourced right before being acquired. It's SAM-QFS for Linux, essentially.

Oh, and Versity is where Harriet Coverston, who IIRC was responsible for much of SAM-QFS originally, ended up after she left Snoracle.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it were 1PB of flash...

...I would be impressed. But it's 1PB of tiered HSM storage, with flash at the fast end, and tape at the slow and archive end. I can't see how much flash is in the system from the referenced paper.

As a result, it's not all that impressive, at least not from where I sit in a customer with HPSS with several 10's of PB of storage already.

3. Hans 1
    Linux

UNIX, obviously ... the only thing that scales to no end. If you think about it, the OS was designed in the 70's ... many times have the competition tried to imitate, never have they succeeded.

And, free software is the future, here you see why.

Pretty impressive ... is this for p0rn ? I cannot believe it would be for anything else...

4. phil dude
    Linux

flat...

I think the problem (as a scientist) is we want it all to be flat storage. I've used HPSS and it can be quite good if you "get" stuff you need in advance, and the tools are quite scriptable (htar etc..).

The HEP folks have PB/s a day whizzing around, so I feel my needs are quite modest!!!

P.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like