back to article Report mash-up: Apple to sell 65 million $269 iWatches in first year

The latest Apple iWatch rumors to come out of the cauldron of leaks and speculation that is the Far East say that Cupertino's manufacturing partner Quanta is slated to build 65 million of the li'l fellows in their first year of availability, and that the wristable whatever will ship in the third quarter of this year. This " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where do I get an analyst job?

It isn't know for certain Apple will ever release a watch, and definitely no one knows exactly what its capabilities will be. Yet he's figured out a specific price and sales total?

I take it he's purchased a ton of Apple stock, because if they really sold $17.5 billion worth of any new product in the first year, the stock would go through the roof.

1. Ted 3

Re: Where do I get an analyst job?

The jobs you are looking for are usually listed under the category "Artists", sub-section "Bullshit".

You were probably searching under the category "Analyst", sub-section "Technology".

Don't worry, most people make this mistake.

2. Captain DaFt

Re: Where do I get an analyst job?

"I take it he's purchased a ton of Apple stock"

You've got the wrong end of the stick there. he's probably holding a lot of Quanta stock, and ready to unload it as soon as his analysis pushes up its price.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're almost there

This whole smart watch thing is a step in the right direction, but it's not retro enough. Imagine a SmartPocketWatch, which you would carry in your pocket (of course), not on your wrist. It would have a touchscreen, bigger than you could put on a wristwatch, and you could read your email and whatnot. Maybe toss in a phone? Just spitballing here. Come on guys, let's think outside the box.

3. poopypants

You know they have reached market saturation

when they start selling us unnecessary crap like this.

1. Pete Spicer

Re: You know they have reached market saturation

If that was intended as a snarky comment about Apple's failings to deliver anything interesting, do remember that Samsung already brought a similar such device out, the Galaxy Gear...

1. andreas koch
        Devil

@ Peter Spicer - Re: You know they have reached market saturation

. . . but if Apple doesn't market a smartwatch now, how are they then going to justify afterwards blocking Samsung's sales for infringing on their idea before?

This gets a bit like reading "The cat who walks through walls".

1. Pete Spicer

Re: @ Peter Spicer - You know they have reached market saturation

Who actually says Apple does? There's been a lot of speculation about it, sure, but only the analysts are saying it. Thing is, Sony's tried it a number of times, Samsung's Galaxy Gear met with limited success and even Apple isn't so blind that it would try to launch a product in those shown-to-be-lukewarm waters unless it knew it had an angle that was unique and inspiring because the iFaithful aren't *that* faithful.

1. dogged

Re: @ Peter Spicer - You know they have reached market saturation

> the iFaithful aren't *that* faithful.

Yeah, they are.

2. Elmer Phud

Re: You know they have reached market saturation

"when they start selling us unnecessary crap like this."

I'm trying to remember how many years ago it was when my nephew told me he'd got a Casio watch he could do allsorts of things with - including going in to Dixons (yup, some time back) and use his watch to change the channels and volume and anything else he could on all thier T.V.'s.

Start?, start?

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

Not for me.

Now. If they made a Babbage engined one out of foamed ceramic/brass composite, driving a display of subminiature Nixie tubes powered by a nanoscale generator and all driven by clockwork[1], that would be very clever and I'd be interested.

Put a death ray function on the "nice to have" list too.

[1] Ideally with an attractively engraved winding handle sporting a mahogany grip. This could be a bit of a problem, given the need for it to be micro-usb compatible in order to comply with regulatory requirements for chargers these days.

1. Tim99 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Not for me.

I have one of the early generation clockwork thingies on a leather strap on my wrist.

If I manually synchronize the analogue time display indicators with an NTP client, and remember to wind the the clockwork device up every day; it displays the time on its "easy to read" metal/quartz/enamel and radium display.

1. Richard Taylor 2
        Happy

Re: Not for me.

I just need to remember mine - holds a 'auto wind' for 48 hours or so

5. Ted Treen
    Unhappy

No, it's not...

"...but hey, it's Apple. ®..."

It's unsubstantiated rumour and speculation.

Nothing more.

6. JaitcH
    FAIL

iSheep - they need their weekly adrenaline rush

Apple simply thrives on news column inches - good or bad - and iSheep need it weekly, if not more.

Of course, by announcing vapour ware, Apple hopes to cut in to sales of existing products. And the 'analysts' are hoping for their free samples.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like