back to article 'We’re not sneaky, we're dads from the Midwest'

This was the week when the backlash over Mozilla's appointment of Prop 8-supporting Brendan Eich to the chief's chair continued, with OkCupid asking users to boycott the firm's popular Firefox browser. Eich's new job has provoked controversy because he donated $1,000 to a campaign supporting Proposition 8, a 2008 California …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Dropbox magic

>comparing file hashes. We don't look at the files in your private

So is this just NSA style legalese, they don't "look" at the files, they measure the magneto resistance of the bits on the disk.

Or do Dropbox have some non-contact way of calculating a filehash? Perhaps they calculate all possible file hashes and then use quantum mechanics to select the alternate universe in which they correct one is first?

1. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Re: Dropbox magic

Perhaps they calculate the hash during the upload where they have to have process the data, rather than go back and examine it later.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

dear facebook

Have you ever wondered how the Golf Channel can show the players on the 18th green from above without having the perspective change radically?

3. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Sell Hack: bear in mind I don't actually know what I'm talking about,

My impression of what "Sell Hack" does, or did, and how, is that it sends -your- LinkedIn personal details, when you use it, to its publishers. Then, users of Sell Hack can see the normally hidden details of other users of Sell Hack.

So, it's not magic, it's not -exactly- hacking in fact, but apparently it is still a breach of LinkedIn conditions, maybe, and it's gone away.

4. Bucky 2

I especially liked the part of this article where, while it was talking about Eich's sexual discrimination of gays, The Register had an ad of a computer-generated woman in her underpants.

1. southpacificpom
      Devil

Outrageous, you mean you don't use an ad blocker?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cloud privacy == encryption

Time to drop DropBox for SpiderOak? I don't get why anyone would hand over the crypto keys to their own data to a faceless corporation, no matter how "hip" their tutorial videos.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like