back to article Intel uncloaks next-gen 'Braswell' Atom, 64-bit Android KitKat kernel

On the second day of its developers conference in Shenzhen, China, Intel revealed the codename – "Braswell" – of its next-generation Atom processor for low-cost mobile devices and a 64-bit Android KitKat 4.4.2 kernel, and outlined its belief that a "large resurgence" is coming to the desktop market. Slide from Intel Developer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul J Turner
    Joke

Who names these things?

Bra Swell, eh? More for the implanted than embedded market then.

I do hope they aren't making inflated claims just to keep abreast of the competition.

1. southpacificpom
      Paris Hilton

Re: Who names these things?

I think there just wanting to make big tits of themselves...

2. Novex

Well, the processors are, at least, full of silicon, so there is a comparison there to be made :)

3. Matthew Smith

And they say that the age of sillicon is coming to an end.

4. DropBear
      Joke

Nah, I think it's just sort of a Freudian slip of wishful thinking - what will they call the next one? "All'sWell"...? "SellsWell"? My favourite would be "OverclocksWell"...

1. plrndl
        Joke

@DropBear

In the post-Snowden era, surely it must be "Orwell".

2. Mikel

Intel

It is good to see them leading with a choice of operating systems. Seems like we have had generations of gear designed to not run anything but Windows.

Now to get my hands on it and see if it's any good. Would be nice to replace these old, loud, hot PCs with something silent and power friendly.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Intel

For a long time, Intel have have done a proper job of providing high quality open source Linux drivers. Their GPUs have been poor compared to ATi and nVidia, but the drivers have been stable and never restricted what kernel you could use.

ATi and nVidia grudgingly gave us binary blobs and tainted kernels. A community effort produced drivers of varying quality despite lack of documentation. AMD released proper documentation when they bought ATi and eventually, after some rude words from Linus, nVidia followed suit. ARMs come with a wide selection of GPUs - and the driver is almost always an unsupported binary blob.

Intel provided proper free software Wifi drivers. The competition gave us binary blobs if we were lucky and a chance that Windows emulation would work with the unsupported chips. It has not been all good. Intel implemented fine grained power management which was working with Windows before they documented it publicly. As for the people responsible for UEFI, I hope they get stuck with Windows 8 with an undeletable Clippy.

Intel was impractical for many mobile and embedded applications because their needed too much power and their prices were too high. Intel have got the power requirements tolerable for some applications and they are taking steps in the right direction on price. Intel are ahead on documentation and drivers, but ARM are catching up: The Mali GPU has a community made Lima driver. nVidia are making an effort with documentation and Broadcom have documented the Pi's GPU. If you want embedded system using a GPU that can have kernel updates for a decade, Intel are still a good bet.

1. Metrognome

GPU Drivers

That may be so UNLESS you talking about Poulsbo.

The most abominable clusterfuck of crock ever to come from Intel's GPU team (admittedly they're an Imagination Technologies chip; but still).

Intel Poulsbo is a bloody mess

Five Years Later, Intel Poulsbo Is Still A Linux Mess

1. Mikel

Re: GPU Drivers

This is actually part of what I was talking about. I hear Imagination Technologies is coming around though, finally.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Intel

Seems like we have had generations of gear designed to not run anything but Windows.

Meanwhile in Redmond, it is strangely quiet as there are no chairs flying around but behind the scenes further work on UEFI Protected Boot is continuing rapidly. From Microsoft's POV, the sooner they can get UEFI Signed Boting made mandatory and they become the only signer in town the better. Apple? Irrelevant. Linux? Well those pesky penguins need culling before they get out of control.

3. James 51

Maybe we'll see 64 bit versions of Windows 8 tablets now with 4gb of ram.

4. frank ly

Words

" ... or even Linux," he said, ...

Is it my imagination or does he sound surprised?

1. southpacificpom
      Holmes

Re: Words

He sounded fearful. Perhaps he didn't want to disturb the Linus monster like Nvidia did.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is it my imagination or does he sound surprised?

Well, he shouldn't, given that Intel are a major contributor to Yocto (www.yoctoproject.org).

1. Preston Munchensonton
        Coat

Re: Is it my imagination or does he sound surprised?

All should be fearful of the Linusaurus Rex...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many mentions of Microsoft can you on the front page

Thirteen mentions of Microsoft and twelve mentions of Windows, for a new world record ..

1. Steve Knox
      Meh

Re: How many mentions of Microsoft can you on the front page

Sounds horrible.

Until you realize that there are 54 articles (not counting highlight spots) on the front page, meaning they're only mentioned upfront in about 24% of articles. Since for some of them (like this one) you'd have to read the subtitle to get the MS reference, Microsoft probably figures prominently in only about 16-20% of articles.

Considering how much Microsoft affects the IT world, that's not surprising, except that it might be surprisingly low.

6. Alan Denman

64 on XP is just too bitty

Considering most XP kit is 32 bit as is most owned Atom, it is all about selling new chipsets.

7. Natalie Gritpants

Interesting that the penguin is centre stage

but the laptops for the other OSes are open. Maybe Tux's lappy is like the Arc of the Covenant, the contents are so spiffy you will burst into flames if you look upon them.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fanless 2 in 1s?

One slide has "Fanless 2 in 1s"

2 what?

CPU+ GPU

2 cores

?

Any ideas

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fanless 2 in 1s?

2 in 1s = yet another marketing term for convertibles and detachables.

"A laptop and tablet in 1 device"....

Lenovo Yoga, HP Spectre, ASUS Taichi, etc, etc

9. Herby

They don't call it WinTel for nothing!!

"With the end of life of Windows XP around the world, we're seeing a large resurgence in desktop."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like