back to article Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini tech specs REVEALED

Hot on the heels of the Samsung Galaxy S5 and new Galaxy tablets we can expect the Galaxy S5 Mini, Active and probably Zoom, according to a recent report. "All Things Samsung" website SamMobile claims to have specs for the Mini, citing a 720p resolution on a 4.5-inch screen, which would correspond to 1280 x 720 and a 326ppi. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Works for me

It's a similar strategy to Apple's: the latest and greatest (and biggest); the scaled down (in features and size) version; the outdoor; and the camera version. I like the "second" device strategy this encourages, whether it's the outdoor one for the "action" holiday or the smaller one for the less technologically obsessed partner. It's classic marketing, nicely done.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Works for me

So they have realised that the market is not all about 'big phones', and that not all of us have small man syndrome.

2. Fuzz

mini?

Is it just me that thinks 4.5" isn't particularly mini? The original Galaxy S only had a 4" screen. My HTC Touch Diamond had a 2.8" screen, that was mini.

I'm all for big phones (up to a point) my current phone has a 4.7" screen and I find it useful, but if I want a _mini_ smartphone I kind of expect it to be mini, like the mini car, oh yeah I remember that's not very mini either anymore.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: mini?

Is it just me that thinks 4.5" isn't particularly mini?

It isn't called the Galaxy S Mini because of its screensize. It is called the mini because of the size of its advertising and marketing budget compared to the standard S5 and Note 3. You won't see one of these being used at the Oscars... Or ironically a Samsung being used backstage full stop.

2. MrXavia

well I suspect the 4.5" phone will be similar in size to the original Galaxy S, just like the S4 was the same size as the S3 yet was larger screened.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Screen size is only a rough indication of how big the actual phone is. Older smartphones often have a huge bevel, see the iPhone as that has a lot of wasted space. I'd rather compare the overall measurements of the phone. Case in point is the Galaxy Note range, the actual phone has stayed more or less the same size yet the screen has gotten bigger.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Analysis

I'm guessing it'll be made of plastic, although I can't fathom whether they'll go for the 80s fake chrome look or the 'plastique faux leatherette' look complete with fake plastic stitching. And it'll be full of difficult to remove bloatware, leaving about 256k of free user memory. It will lead to another lawsuit with Apple. Then in 6 months they'll bring another wretched specimen out, and the cycle will begin anew.

Finally, this post will get no more than two up-votes and three down-votes because no one really cares what Samsung does any more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Analysis

Just getting the ball rolling on the voting front... ;)

4. Stacy

So, not following Sony then...

I just don't get how you can justify giving the device the flagship name, and then supply second rate internals.

Some of us don't have big hands, or simply don't want a big phone - but still want the internals of a decent phone.

Sony got this right with the Z1 Compact, I was hoping the other manufacturers would take note...

Oh well, after getting the Z1 Compact this week it's a problem I hopefully won't have to deal with for another 4 years :)

5. Silver
    WTF?

Just like the ones before...

So basically the S5 mini (like the S4 mini and the S3 mini) will be a mid-tier mid-specification handset whose only connection to it's big brother is that it shares a similar look?

I can understand that you might not be able to get a 1080p screen at that low a size so it may have to be 720p, but I see no reason why you need to downgrade pretty much every other specification as well.

Still Sammy have been making money hand over fist with this strategy, so I can't criticise them too much for it...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like