back to article Artists install Monty Python silly walk signs in Norwegian town

A Norwegian town has reminded denizens that a normal gait is preferable to a strange one after Swedish revolutionaries installed a pair of silly walk signs. An art group put two street signs inspired by Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks on either side of a zebra crossing. "It's just for fun. There's no deep thought …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. stuartnz

PLEASE tell me this sign is in Piningsfjord.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I can't do that...

The sign has gone to join the choir immortal. It is an ex-sign. It has ceased to be.

But at least it has annoyed a bureaucrat - so it really was art.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Walk the walk

Rather than signs, wouldn't it be more artistic to actually DO silly walks? I can see this thing catching on...

Silly Walk drill teams

Silly Walk relay races

Walk Silly for charity

"Am I silly now?" advertising campaigns

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Stop

Beware what you wish for!

I can see this thing catching on... and another silly imbecile meme is started with hoi polloi taking selfies doing this in front of [insert landmark] and pestering the interwebs with it.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Barnie

Re: Beware what you wish for!

Well we have to give the NSA & GHCQ something to fill all that storage space :)

3. Teiwaz

Well, what do your expect when the world is populated by apes with digital phone cameras

Monkey See, Monkey Do.

The see no evil hear no evil speak no evil thing is a myth.

See 'evil' everywhere, be offended by everyhting you hear, yell to the rafters until the poo flinging mp-monkeys introduce another ill-thought out law cleverly designed to have its powers expanded at some (close) future date to make sure all the lesser monkeys stay in their cages where they belong.

Imagine a foot stamping poo into your face Forever....

apologies to George Orwell.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Beware what you wish for! - @Teiwaz

Telling kids to get off your lawn is one thing, parking tanks there is another. And I thought I was a grumpy old git.

Mary Whitehouse founded the "National viewers and listeners association" without a mobile phone to her name. Mrs. Grundy has been around for a long, long time; but nowadays we have internet forums to pull her pants down and laugh at the result.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Beware what you wish for! - @Teiwaz

Tee hee. Don't think I've room for one tank, let alone the plural thereof, maybe a machinegun emplacement, with a few missile launchers in the backgarden....

NVLA - ??? Sounds like it should be an illegal organisation. Not that there's really anything worth watching on telly these days.

In this case, a group of artists tries to make the world a better place by putting up a piece of art that might make passers by smile, only to get slapped down by some buearocrat with a 'just following the rules' mentality.

As a species we're at our best in small groups, not on our own because we need to be with other humans in order to be reminded we're human, and not in large groups because we turn into this hive, with workers and soldiers or castes, or social classes or has money and has not, that pushes conformity and punishes anything that strays outside the norm (one way or another).

Mary Whitehouse I've heard of, but who's Mrs Grundy (sounds like one of those Python Pepperpots)

Ah, time to chill out and lisiten to Mrs Particle and Mrs Velocity, or Mrs Premise and Mrs Conclusion visit Jon Paul Satre,

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Beware what you wish for! - @Teiwaz

I can tell you why they wanted to get rid of the sign.

If they let this stand, how long until another 'joke' sign appeared?

That would also have to be tolerated because they can't treat one case differently from another...

How many such incidents until what little respect people have for signs is completely lost forever?

What if a supermarket chain decided to make a spoof of a 'Road closed/Detour' sign as part of an ad campaign for a new location?

(I've seen a few of the signs the Department has confiscated over the years, and while a Detour sign hasn't been found yet... it's probably just a question of time)

Back when LIDL opened in Norway, they put up homemade signs in roundabouts, pointing to their new stores. (Yes, the signs were in the middle of the roundabout)

Most people never saw the signs as the signs were removed by the Department soon after.

The signs didn't look like official signs, but they were considered a distraction, and also, they didn't ask permission first.

If it wasn't for the dilligence of the Public Roads Department, the roadside would very quickly fill up with garbage and distractions taking the driver's focus away from the road.

Also, the paper pushers in that department aren't all humorless creatures of the night, or big, angry trolls...

(Actually, as we have real roadsigns depicting trolls and ghosts... you have to wonder)

4. VinceH

"I can see this thing catching on... and another silly imbecile meme is started with hoi polloi taking selfies doing this in front of [insert landmark] and pestering the interwebs with it."

Why am I suddenly feeling nostalgic about TISWAS and The Dying Fly?

1. davidp231

"Why am I suddenly feeling nostalgic about TISWAS and The Dying Fly?"

Because it was on channel 5 on saturday night (and sunday on their +24 channel)?

1. VinceH

TISWAS

"Because it was on channel 5 on saturday night (and sunday on their +24 channel)?"

Ooh, excellent! I shall seek it out on Demand5 when I have a chance!

5. Mark 85

This will quickly be followed by videos of cats silly walking.

2. Dunstan Vavasour

Fitness Craze

Silly walks could be a new fitness craze too. You'd burn far more calories in the morning schlep to StarNeroCosta doing a silly walk. Maybe not on the way back, though, or you'd spill the precious fluid.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Fitness Craze

What ever you do, do not spill your precious fluids!

Yours sincerely, General Jack D. Ripper.

3. Graham Marsden
      Happy

Re: Walk the walk

What about people with signs on their backs saying "How am I walking? Phone..."

3. Vociferous

I don't know if it it's art...

...but I want that sign on my wall.

4. Philip Lewis

For a moment there, I thought Norway might not in fact be the most bat shit boring place on the planet, but then I got to the last bit about the authorities being displeased, then I realised that normality had not been altered.

1. Proud Father
      Trollface

Hey! I objec.............Oh wait I know some people from Norway.

*sigh* Yes you are correct, bat shit boring.

2. JanMeijer

The local politicians gave permission & were all for it. It's the national road authority, division "Østfold", based in Oslo, that displayed a lacking sense of humor and perspective. Norway has a wide and diverse geography, maybe humor is equally diversified over the country? ;)

Pictures of happy test subjects:

http://www.smaalenene.no/nyheter/article7252484.ece

Google translate is your friend

1. Trygve Henriksen

But the local politicians doesn't HAVE the power to decide what is or isn't acceptable roadsigns.

Which they knew, of course. They gave the OK to gain popularity because they knew that 'someone else' would say no later.

And yeah, we're really, really boring people.

Comes from being frozen solid in blocks of ice for months, then a slow thaw until right before it's time to find a suitable block of ice to lie down on again...

1. Stoneshop

Comes from being frozen solid in blocks of ice for months,

Does that prevent mööse bites?

5. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

These bureaucrats have clearly all had their mandatory humourectomy

Yours sincerely

Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim bus stop F'tang F'tang Ole Biscuitbarrel

(Silly Party)

1. Flugal

Re: These bureaucrats have clearly all had their mandatory humourectomy

Luton South?

2. Michael 28
      Joke

Re: These bureaucrats have clearly all had their mandatory humourectomy

Nope...Norway was occupied by the nazi's during ww2...Unfortunate victims of (Now illegal ) joke warfare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gpjk_MaCGM

OOPS!.....I just mentioned the war.....I think I got away with it, though.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The most pleasing part for me was the artist quote; "It's just for fun. There's no deep thought behind it", which is somewhat unusual in its honesty.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It's just for fun"

Our art master in the 6th form was a fairly successful artist in real life. He got a write up in one of the magazines which was full of art blether. He told us that this had in fact been written by his agent and he didn't have a clue what it meant, he just knew how he wanted to paint.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "It's just for fun"

Exactly. I saw some 1960s footage of an avant garde artist being interviewed, and when he was asked to explain his art he said "well if I could explain it I wouldn't have to do the art would I?".

7. Norman Hartnell

I wish to register a complaint.

1. Peter Storm

'Ello, Miss?

1. Sorry, "Sorry that handle is already taken" is already taken.

What do you mean "Miss"?!?

8. Fortycoats
    Stop

Stop that! It's silly

Now...no one likes a good laugh more than I do. Uh, except for my wife, and some of her friends. Oh yes, and Capt. Johnson. Come to think of it, most people like a good laugh more than I do, but that's beside the point! (RIP Graham)

9. Vulch

The Norwegians have previous...

"The film that is so funny that it was banned in Norway!"

Which was of course Life of Brian...

10. TRT Silver badge

We've had official Monty Python street signs in the UK for years...

For example Upper class twit of the year contest.

1. PNGuinn
      Go

Re: We've had official Monty Python street signs in the UK for years...

Have an upvote - from a Tory

1. theModge

Have an upvote - from a Tory

... To be entirely fair, speaking as one who would never vote Tory, if either of the others get in, it'd make little odds....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Funny but not very daring - even members of their own party are making the point as the election gets closer.

I do wonder whether the Provost of Eton thinks the cabinet dominance by Etonians is a two edged sword. Nice advert for foreign students - "come to Eton to learn how to build a cabal and take over your country" - but slightly increased risk that if the revolution ever comes the Wall Game could be played with machine guns.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Just don't mention the war...

I did it once... I think I got away with it !

12. Teiwaz

Vote Silly Party

Problem is the Sensible Candidates are actually extremely silly(link any recent story featuring any politician), and the Slightly Sensible candidates turn out to have chartered account level interpersonal skills. We don't have any really truly silly candidates.

We also need more Disturbing Vicars....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3DmvDJm3ww

13. Raumkraut

Walk on, bye

The actual sign is already pretty cool:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/ianstacey/375977327/?rb=1

Alas, this version appears to be in the process of being phased out for a more... neutral (read: generic, inoffensive, boring) sign:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Norwegian-road-sign-516.H.svg

Though judging by the occasional story in the local rag, I'm not alone in being dismayed with the new sign.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Walk on, bye

Hmm... quite a solid little mounting bracket there, socket and post with twin screwdown bolts. Beats the candy-floss and gaffer tape UK method of fixing signs so that they spin round in the slightest breeze and every sign has to have its own post turning the pavement into a slalom and have you seen the price of the sangria and we've found a charming little bar that serves Watney's Red Barrel...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Moose once bit my sister......

I'm canceling my holiday to Norway. Instead, I'm going to trei a holiday to Sweden this year, so I can see the loveli lakes, the wonderful telephone system and the mani interesting furry animals, including the majestic moose. Mynd you, moose bites Kan be pretti nasti.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A Moose once bit my sister......

We would like to apologise for this comment. The commentard responsible has been sacked.

No, realli she was just carving her initials on the møøse......

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's got nasty, solicitors are now involved.

Said spokesman: Raymond Luxury Yacht, from Norwegian law firm Throatwobbler Mangrove & Son.

16. Chika

Lemon curry?

17. Bigbird3141

Surely Finland should have done this first

It's so sadly neglected and often ignored. A poor second to Belgium when going abroad.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surely Finland should have done this first

I suspect that Microsoft wish they had ignored Finland.

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Devil

A poor second to Belgium...

I never quite understood what all those tourists were doing there.

3. PNGuinn
      Mushroom

B*****M????

Pleeeze dont use obsenities like that on these hallowed boards.

The mice will be furious.

Won't Anybody think of the children?

18. sisk

So does China still have the guy who can bring his leg up over his head with every step? And if so how is Norway going to one-up them?

19. Stephen Gray

Strange woman

"One should not use signs that can be confused with public signs," section chief Elisabeth Bechmann fumed.

Really? You think your fellow citizens are that stupid? Maybe YOU are. I've been to Finland, they're very switched on. Beside Putin has you on his list to annex, so I'd start complaining about that rather than a bit of tomfoolery.

20. David Kelly 2

Briefcase, Cane, and Hat

The sign only instructs those with briefcase, cane, and hat to walk this way. Without, one may not use the crosswalk. :-)

21. The last doughnut

That sign is clearly blasphemous.

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Mushroom

Blasphemy!

Kill them!

22. Bryn Smith

Maybe London can follow suit

Suggestion for London to take a leaf out of this book and put a special crossing sign in Abbey Road (just to annoy the car drivers even more!)

http://lacamiseteria.deviantart.com/art/Abbey-Road-Sign-287880975

1. Stoneshop
      FAIL

Re: Maybe London can follow suit

Unfortunately, that's not the type of sign you'll find in the UK, if there's a crossing sign at all in the first place. One would be more like the type used in Norway (and most of the rest of Europe)

23. Toadkiller

I so want one

I would love to put it up either in my front yard or at the school crossing by the house :D

24. Stevie

Bah!

Ö mi Gød!

This topic is closed for new posts.