back to article China's CERT blames US for a THIRD of all attacks on Middle Kingdom PCs

China’s Computer Emergency Response Team (CNCERT) has claimed in a new report that backdoor attacks on systems jumped by over 50 per cent over the past year, and once again fingered the US as the main culprit in 2013. The CERT announced the findings of its latest annual report on its website. It claimed that 15,000 "hosts" …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. No, I will not fix your computer

While it's true.....

China is the source of lots of hacking / botnet / intrusion, per capita it's actually not as bad as the US (per capita), probably due to the rather split demographic in China, pretty much 50/50 with those who have access to IT and those that don't.

To be fair, China is also one of the best sources for open proxies... apparently, which would definitely skew the "original source", not that I'd know obviously, after all I can't imagine what use a proxy in another country would be.... ahem.

2. Gordon Pryra

Rubbish Figures

All these figures show is the untargeted machines’ caught up in the Crossfire between the various Countries games of electronic warfare.

Unless mails go between Washington/Beijing and Moscow every month, with the numbers of "targeted" machines/systems compromised and the departments’ current score.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Headmaster

"Government sites are a “disaster area”"

Tell me something I don't know.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Government sites are a “disaster area”"

>>Tell me something I don't know.

I'm banging your missus?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm banging your missus?

What, you too?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's China also counts any PC "compromised" by its own users to get past state control

I guess many Chineses "hack" their own machines to get past the state firewalls and reach forbidden sites abroad, and che Chinese CERT is also trying to stop that kind of "APT" to the gov Big Brother.

1. WatAWorld

Re: It's China also counts any PC "compromised" by its own users to get past state control

Whereas here Big Brother lets us surf pretty much as we please, and notes of what we do.

5. WatAWorld

The Chinese are probably right

Let us face it, if you or I were going to illegally hack computers it would be a lot safer to hack computers in a country that our justice system does not cooperate with much.

So China, Russia, Iran, etc.

Their blackhats hack here. Our blackhats hack there. Probably true to a large extent.

Plus the NSA and GCHQ can't simply order workers at ISPs to wire their facilities up for direct or indirect access like they do here.

So there the NSA and GCHQ have to go through all the bother of individually hacking at least key computers and servers in China.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Well one answer...

...patch your bloody machines! That's said, that goes for most other countries as well.

7. Graham Marsden
    Holmes

Hello Mr Kettle...

... My name is Mr Pot.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

security......security.........security

So.

All of these compromised machines are patched, antivirused and up to date with genuine Windows then?

1. asdf
      Linux

Re: security......security.........security

Or installed with *nix in which case you can leave out the genuine malware (only need an MD5) and as well as the antivirus bloat to slow down the machine.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

security......security.........security

So.

All these compromised machines are running up to date, patched, antivirused, genuine Windows then?

10. chris lively
    Headmaster

Well.. duh.

11. Mr. Chuck

looks like WW3 has already started and we missed it.

12. mhenriday
    FAIL

Thanks, Phil,

for reminding us that the Chinese government is capable of «massaging» figures and of attribution difficulties when it comes to foreign attacks. I don't remember you making the same reflections on US government claims about Chinese hackers - very well publicised her on the Reg - but on the other hand, you, with your unique linguistic and cultural qualifications, only comment on matters Chinese (and rarely, Japanese, for which you also possess unique qualifications)....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like