back to article LenovOUCH! Thinkpad's overheating batteries spark recall alert

Lenovo has recalled a slew of ThinkPad batteries after two customers reported overheating problems. "On March 27, 2014, Lenovo voluntarily recalled certain lithium-ion batteries. These batteries were manufactured for use with ThinkPad notebook computers that shipped worldwide between October 2010 and April 2011," the company …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Frank N. Stein

"Manufacturer Imperfections" in a Chinese manufactured laptop? Imagine that!

1. sam bo

and where else would they be manufactured ?

2. VinceH

Gosh, yes, Chinese manufactured equipment is so unreliable, it's only taken four years for the fan in my T510* to pack up - you'd think something that is switched on almost every waking hour except when travelling between sites (and often left on through many sleeping hours), and regularly used in places that are very dusty, etc, would last at least forty years.

* Purchased in March 2010, so several months before the affected machines.

1. Alan Edwards

> it's only taken four years for the fan in my T510* to pack up

My work-provided T510 is still going strong, even though the previous user managed to break the plastic cover on the heatsink and the front of the DVD drive.

I've also just got a 2nd hand T410, which apart from a few scratches around the USB ports and a bit of shininess on some of the keys looks new.

I'm not sure they are quite as bomb-proof as the IBM ThinkPads were, but they are better made than a lot out there. I set a Toshiba of some sort up for someone and the keyboard actually bent in the middle as you were typing.

3. Alister

"Manufacturer Imperfections" in a Chinese manufactured laptop? Imagine that!

Why do people still trot out this stupid cliché?

A large proportion of the day to day consumer electronics used round the world is manufactured in China, especially telecommunications and networking devices, and yet people still come out with the same bullshit.

1. Aldous
        Trollface

"But Apples are made in the USA", Yes i had someone say that to me. "Designed in X" means sod all.

2. naive

They are lucky if that is all

Lenovo seems to embody the tale about "quality" products from China. After good experience with an IBM Thinkpad T30 from 2003, i bought in 2010 a SL-510.

- Battery: Broken 1 month after end of warranty.. :P

- Keyboard: Having issues with missing keystrokes from the beginning, replacing keyboard with an original part made things worse.

- DVD: Does not write DVD;s

The build quality inside is such i do not dare to replace the second keyboard.

Bought spring 2013 a MSI gaming laptop, which comes from another planet regarding quality and performance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like