back to article Twitter sneaks in Facebook-ish photo-tagging – how to switch it off

Without much fuss, Twitter has taken another step to be more like Facebook – and added a photo-tagging feature. And in the best traditions of social networks, the privacy-diminisher is switched on by default. The tagging feature means anyone can identify someone in a photograph they post, unless you realise it's happening, log …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Autoimmunity

I have no friends.

1. Mark 85
      Joke

Re: Autoimmunity

Maybe I'll open a Twitter account just for kicks and grins and start taking photos and tagging the people and dogs in them as "Anonymous Coward". We'll see how immune you are!!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

OK, it's a fair cop!

Here is my picture --->

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"...and tagging the people and dogs in them..."

Nothing wrong with tagging dogs in pictures

@dogbob

2. Kurt S

strange..

.. I just signed in to Twitter after quite some time to disable this thing and it was off by default.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: strange..

Not for me. I use it about once a day and it was on by default, and I've gotten no emails about a change in security policies.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Same as myself. No notifications about it, just happened to read the article.

It was crap like this that made me delete Facebook. Seems any time one of these companies go public the whole idea of privacy (or at least asking for permission) goes out the window.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "any time one of these companies go public the whole idea of privacy [..] goes out the window"

Of course it does. They don't go public to respect your privacy, they go public to have the means to strip-mine it.

2. Alister
          Trollface

It was crap like this that made me delete Facebook.

Wait, What! You deleted the whole of Facebook??

1. wolfetone Silver badge
            Devil

Yes, yes I did. Who wants to touch me?

I SAID WHO WANTS TO TOUCH ME!?

3. Jonathan Richards 1
    WTF?

How does this work?

There's the set of all people, and the sub-set who are Twitter users. The screenshot seems to indicate that a specific Twitter user can "forbid" their identification in a posted picture. What is the nature of that ID? Is all tagging done exclusively by Twitter handle, or can one post a picture and tag it with a free-form name, nickname or description, e.g. "that smelly bloke who hangs around by the lavs on the way back from school"?

If it's somewhere in the latter categories, then there's no mechanism for opting out that's workable, as far as I can see.

Now, pictures identifying living people (as opposed to just featuring them) are definitely personal data within the meaning of the Data Protection Act, therefore anyone can require that Twitter disclose the personal data that it holds about them, with a Subject Access Request.

Hmm. Despite the fact that there is a Twitter UK Ltd at 100 New Bridge Street, London EC4V 6JA; Company No. 07653064, there seems to be no registration of a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner's Office. That doesn't seem right...

4. An0n C0w4rd

"Promoted tweets"

Until this latest update, you could swipe over promoted tweets and get rid of them. That feature has mysteriously vanished in the new version.

1. Wize

Re: "Promoted tweets"

I've not updated in a while. Not since it required 'reading SMS messages' in its list of demands.

Same goes for Facebook.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like