back to article China demands answers from US after 'I spy on one little Huawei' report

China has demanded an explanation from the US government in the wake of NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden's latest leak, which claims that the agency was spying on telecoms firm Huawei. The US has repeatedly accused Huawei of being a risky bet for network contracts outside of China as it claims that the company is involved in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Unhappy

Will anything change because of these revelations?

That's all I wonder.

But not too much since I think I know the answer already.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Pot...meet kettle...

etc...

1. Ole Juul

Re: Pot...meet kettle...

"etc... "

Citation needed.

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

A brilliant solution

China spies on the NSA to see if they are spying on China to see if they are spying on the NSA ...

An in the meantime leave the rest of us alone

1. Captain Scarlet
      Trollface

Re: A brilliant solution

Yes hopefully they won't notice the Spy Rocks whilst pointing fingers at each other.

2. Peter Simpson 1
      Happy

Re: A brilliant solution

It's like something our of Mad Magazine's Spy vs. Spy....

// can't find the Spy vs Spy icon...

4. Heisenberg

Seems strange...

If the NSA wanted to know if Huawei kit is/was sending information back to the Chinese government could they not have determined that technically through looking at the packets being sent, stripping a machine down to look for secret transmitters and so on?

1. Roo
      Windows

Re: Seems strange...

"If the NSA wanted to know if Huawei kit is/was sending information back to the Chinese government could they not have determined that technically through looking at the packets being sent, stripping a machine down to look for secret transmitters and so on?"

Yes, and it would have been more effective because they wouldn't have had to break the law and troll through tons of machines and people to find the information they were looking for. On the other hand hacking the vendor enables you to do some corporate espionage and sabotage, I suspect the NSA did both.

The thing that surprises me is that all these awfully powerful apparatchiks who are so keen to FUD Huawei seem to have collectively failed to arrange a demo of some of these alleged backdoors in action. Even if the backdoors don't exist, they could fake them fairly trivially and lend weight to their FUD. Given the half-arsed nature of the attacks on Huawei and the people doing the attacking (ie: apparatchiks with minimal to zero technical credibility) I suspect they really don't know of any backdoors (there could still be some backdoors of course!).

So at the end of the day, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of these alleged backdoors. On the other hand there is circumstantial of evidence of some incentive lubricating the FUD effort in political circles, because all of a sudden we have a bunch of folks who have zero track record of being interested or qualified to comment on hacking speaking up...

1. El_Fev

Whether they have backdoor or not, allowing China to put in the communications equipment that our defense and infrastructure rely on is the height of stupidity!

Somethings you don't do , even if they can do it cheaper!

1. John Bailey

Whether they have backdoor or not, allowing America to put in the communications equipment that our defense and infrastructure rely on is the height of stupidity!

Somethings you don't do , even if they can do it cheaper!

2. Roo

"Whether they have backdoor or not, allowing China to put in the communications equipment that our defense and infrastructure rely on is the height of stupidity!

Somethings you don't do , even if they can do it cheaper!"

I hesitate to place my delicate person in front of the freight train of down-votes for the above post but...

The man does have a point. If you have some absolute-funting-lutely-must-not-fail-or-be-hacked traffic, you would naturally prefer to run that traffic over kit that is produced in your own backyard. It's a question of confidence, visibility and control. Producing all the components offshore, in a countries that you are in direct competition with (for resources, power, etc) is taking quite a big risk however you slice it.

Looking at the long game placing your neck on someone else's chopping block is a pretty big show of trust and perhaps that will lead to a more peaceful more productive world over the very long haul... Unless of course a nation gives in to temptation and swings the axe...

Interestingly the Open Compute stuff does offer some short-cuts and a small cost-saving to subsidize the development of that home-grown trust-worthy hardware. Because it's standard form-factor and standard designs, your suppliers can sell the exact same hardware to other customers - and that may go some way towards mitigating the costs through greater volume.

3. Remy Redert

So instead of Huawei building and designing your communications equipment that your defense and infrastructure rely on, you get a US company to design and build it. And then they outsource the designing to half a dozen different companies all working on different parts with little to no oversight and outsource the building to factories in, you guessed it, China.

So yeah, letting Cisco, Alcatel-Lucent or Juniper networks build your military or infrastructure critical gear in China sounds like the height of stupidity. It's also pretty much inevitable at this point and most first world countries cannot afford to build anywhere near the amount of infrastructure gear they need at home. Don't you just love low wage countries and capitalism?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Take Alcatel, the code TiMOS is from Canada and the hardware is produced in Mexico.

Take Cisco, the security software is not coded in China and the hardware is produced in Mexico.

Not all network gear is made in China, just the low-end stuff.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Yes, and it would have been more effective because they wouldn't have had to break the law"

It is only "illegal" if their secret court says it is.

What really worries me is what the NSA considers illegal, because some of what they consider is legal is really horrible, so imagine what they consider illegal.

1. Roo

"It is only "illegal" if their secret court says it is."

Strictly speaking that is not the case, the laws are set elsewhere and the court is there to oversee that they are adhered to. That said the court clearly doesn't provide adequate oversight.

"What really worries me is what the NSA considers illegal, because some of what they consider is legal is really horrible, so imagine what they consider illegal."

I'm pretty sure they think stuff like whistleblowing on illegal mass surveillance is illegal. Terrible crime that one.

2. Thomas Whipp

Well yes they could - if you assume that any back door was setup to be always on, and that it had been implemented in a way that made detection possible. As an example, suppose that a piece of kit had an "error" in its SNMP handling such that a badly formed packet, or perhaps a sequence of "random" community strings caused it to execute a buffer overflow which then happened to run a decrypt option on a block of binary data which just happened to then become a back door.

There is form for attackers trying to insert backdoors into the Linux kernel via deliberately incorrect handling of TCP flags which was caught in code review (https://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/felten/the-linux-backdoor-attempt-of-2003/) - can you imagine trying to find that sort of logic trap purely from compiled object code? Especially if it had been designed to be hard to find and existed only within a code block which was dynamically modified.

So.... if I was worried about this sort of kit possibly shipping with back doors, I certainly wouldn't want to rely purely upon analysis of the kit as deployed.

Trust is a very hard thing to create and ultimately is never 100% and is dependant upon understanding the process by which something is created, tested, distributed and used.

I'd strongly suggest you read "Reflections on Trusting Trust" and then consider if you still think its possible to achieve a good level of assurance purely from observation of behaviour within a test environment (http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/712.fall02/papers/p761-thompson.pdf)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That works right until your vehicle hits the concrete barrier called reality. To wit that almost all kit is made in China to begin with. I'd also toss in that the provenance of parts and the NSA's TAO intercepts of shipped material demonstrate what should be bleeding obvious. If the NSA can readily accomplish this, then rest assured most any global power can. I'd also offer the multinationals and larger national enterprises for consideration as well. The latest is Microsoft but HP and NotW are pretty disgusting. Trust is as much a fool's game as paranoia. (Trust: that precondition necessary for betrayal.) Privacy, even as practiced by nation states, privately held corporations, or persons is D-E-A-D. Move along to the next stage of grief.

3. regadpellagru

"If the NSA wanted to know if Huawei kit is/was sending information back to the Chinese government could they not have determined that technically through looking at the packets being sent, stripping a machine down to look for secret transmitters and so on?"

That is assuming the dodgy kit is installed on every box, leaving everyone the ability to find it out, which I don't find credible at all. No-one is that stupid, those days.

No, presumably, it is only installed on request (locally or remotely) when the kit is to be used by a target, thus the need to find out at manufacturer's end.

End of the day, average kit is totally clean ...

4. fajensen

That is not what the NSA want to know. They want to know how to backdoor Huawei gear - and obviously it looks like it could be hard and might take a while - because otherwise the NSA would send it along with their warmest recommendations to their closest, most loyal allies, exactly like they did before with their back-doored crypto.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Looking Back":

From Garry Moore, "Looking Back":

I was looking back to see

If she was looking back to see

If I was looking back at her.

As someone who has grown up behind the Iron Curtain I can tell you straight away that the "latest revelation" shows cluelelessness of pangalactic proportions. After all this money wasted on this band of idiots located in Virginia they still do not understand how a Communist country business entity works.

The power structure is a as follows.

Layer 1. Business as usual (same as in the West), CEO, CTO, CFO, middle management, worker bees etc.

Layer 2. Communist party committee, its secretary and subordinates - forms a separate hierarchy in parallel to Layer 1. If they say jump, Layer 1 asks "how high?"

Layer 3. Double payroll - informants reporting to state internal security apparatus while officially on the company payroll. Does not really command, but that is where you can get the best aggregated information on a company.

Layer 4. Communist party hierarchy for Layer 3. If you manage to subvert/hack that... Well... That is the only layer which really knows everything on what is going on.

According to the latest revelation NSA has tried to spy at Layer 1. On the execs. Talking about clueless...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Looking Back":

According to the latest revelation NSA has tried to spy at Layer 1.

Makes sense, the Americans are well known for their obvious lack of cultural understanding and an unchangeable belief that on the inside of every foreigner there is really an American struggling to get out. So, naturally they assume that corporate cronies runs the political system in China, because that is the way things work in the US.

This American way of thinking makes people wary of blaming the Russians for things, like bombing the plane with half the Polish government on board - on the very 70'years anniversary of Stalin's murder of the Polish elites. The CIA logic would dictate that the Polish should go nuts over this and start an uprising, requiring NATO intervention or whatever their little plan was. Well, they didn't, the Poles still blame the Russians and .... who knows?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time to put the cards on the table

If only they could agree on who's pack to use...

7. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

Sometimes it is not the thing that is important but rather how it was reported.

For example the Ukraine person last week on BBC reported as Prime Minister of Ukraine is now being reported as Interim Prime Minister of Ukraine. RT also reports him as Interim Prime Minister - both seem recent changes so both seem to suggest unreported conclusions are demonstrated by act rather than news (if u no wot i meen arry)

Beside NSA only eavesdrops whereas China and Russia actually spy and GCHQ only assists, helps and reports, so there!

8. JaitcH
    Thumb Down

Nothing better demonstrates the convoluted US idea of security

The US, through Obama and Mike 'Mouthy' Rogers, claims that the Chinese government is linked to Huawei through former military CEO Ren Zhengfei, but that CISCO is different notwithstanding it hired Lt. Gen. Steven W. Boutelle upon retirement as the Army's chief information officer and appointed vice president of the Global Government Solutions Group at Cisco Systems.

Typical two-faced hypocrisy from the US Government.

ALSO, Edward Snowden HAS NOT LEAKED ANY DOCUMENTS SUBSEQUENT TO HIS SOJOURN IN RUSSIA - journalists are responsible for the timing of disclosures at this time. See https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/03/23/facts-nsa-stories-reported/.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm...

The word 'rich' just springs to mind...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do as I say, not as I do

Apparantly, the US considers it normal to instruct other on 'proper' behavior while misbehaving themselves. Was anyone at all surprised at this?

11. This post has been deleted by its author

1. dan1980

Re: Spyaddict

If I wanted to check out if Huawei was back dooring their boxes i would just buy 1 & probe its ass-pipes.

Even if you were 100% thorough and effective in such 'probing', you would have learned this, and only this: the specific piece of hardware you have does/does not contain a back door.

If you find that it does then you have good grounds to believe that there are backdoors in other kit. If you don't find anything, however, it tells you nothing about any other piece of hardware.

Huawei bid for major government and enterprise contracts. If the control from the Gov is there then there is no reason why hardware produced to fulfill a given contract would get special backdoors tailored to the application.

12. Stuart 16

I am 99.99% sure now that American gov. is addicted to spying.

I think they are more addicted to throwing cash at anything with defence (defense ???) in the title.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Y-A-W-N

Everyone is spying on the other. This is nothing new and has been ongoing for over three decades.

1. chris lively
      Pint

Re: Y-A-W-N

I'm pretty certain spying has been going on since the dawn of man.

I'm also pretty sure that spreading FUD has been happening for just as long. Of course the Brits can be credited with modernizing it during WW I.

But I do agree: Y-A-W-N.

14. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

Nomenclature, ...

... Terminology ... Continues?

The latest one seems to be Cameron's G8 has been cancelled this year (Merkel said G8 did not exist last week).

Been further commented that London likes Russian millions.

Interim conclusion: AYE (voters in Scotland will know the question)

15. Greg D

yo dawg....

I heard you like spying, so I'm gonna spy on your spying to see if you're spying.

16. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Devil

The outrage!

We all know how much the Chinese government forbids hackers and criminal gangs from operating on their networks. Their networks are a shining example of perfect maintenance, with every single record in APNIC providing accurate ownership, administration, and contact information plus the e-mail address of their security task forces.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spying vs. attacks

I remember Obama saying that any cyber attack against the US by a foreign government is an act of war. Installing back doors to Huawei's network, what will they call that then? Unscheduled maintenance break?

1. Ole Juul

Re: Spying vs. attacks

Good call.

2. xperroni

Installing back doors to Huawei's network, what will they call that then?

Why, of course that is a "cyber-security operation", performed in the interest of Liberty, Democracy and the goodwill among nations. Much like the practice of dropping tons of explosives on the heads of other people, when done by America®, is labelled "defence".

Gotta love them newspeak.

3. John Bailey

Pre-emptive defence.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like