back to article ZOMBIE iPAD PERIL? Cyberbadness slinger touts tool for iOS

A Swiss Army knife-like piece of malware has been ported to Apple's iOS from Windows and Linux, a security research team has claimed. We're told Zorenium is a low-profile, cross-platform, remote-controllable bot with advanced features including the ability to empty victims' online bank accounts, contribute to distributed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bitcoin miner on Linux?

>A recently developed bot which can wreak all manner of havoc on Linux and Windows machines has been ported to iOS.

Zorenium is a low profile bot with advanced features including banker Trojan functionality, DDoS, a Skype worm and even Bitcoin mining capabilities.

I guess the bitcoin mining is reserved for Windows and IOS machines since Linux boxes are made up of hardware that is to old and underpowered to support anything else!

> Anon to tug at the strings of the flame war

1. Chemist

Re: Bitcoin miner on Linux?

"boxes are made up of hardware that is to old and underpowered to support anything else!"

I think you might be needed over on the following forum :

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2014/03/21/microsoft_sorgen_intelligent_devices/

"Just 22% of intelligent devices run Windows, 'can't put adjectives behind the why'"

They're all very critical of MS there !

(Written on my OpenSUSE 13.1 laptop 4-core i7/8GB)

2. Hit Snooze
    Joke

Coded by a Brit

Taken at face value, this would hint that a Brit is behind the sale. However, this is more likely to be a deliberate piece of subterfuge than a genuine opsec howler...

The way to find out is if the comments are very well written. Plus look for words and phrases like "bloody hell", "cheerio", and "tea".

1. Mark 85

Re: Coded by a Brit

Not exactly. Well-written comments don't point to a Brit anymore if what is posted here on El Reg is any indication. The Brits do just as much poorly written comments as anyone else.

As for the prices in Sterling... as an American I probably would to based on way exchange rates fluctuate.

3. Joe Gurman

Really?

Given the fraction of jailbroken iPads (a few thousand? ten thousand tops?) compared with the zillions[TM] sold, why would a serious botnetter bother? The only possible reasons I can come up with are: users of jailbroken Apple kit are simultaneously more likely to download crapware and more likely to have bank accounts worth lifting, and this is only a trial run for a version that breaks into the Walled Garden [also TM]. And the obligatory third explanation now required pro forma: the NSA/GCHQ is trying to keep tabs on those wascally jailbreakers. Erm, actually that one does make more sense.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Really?

This is a rootkit for sale - exploit not included. I would imagine there is great demand to hack into iOS devices. They may have only 10% of the worldwide mobile market, but the places they have highest share are the richest countries.

So the author ports his rootkit and sells it, proving it will run by showing it doing so on a jailbroken device. Figuring out an attack that would get it onto non-jailbroken devices is the buyer's problem. If no one ever figured out a way to get it onto an iPhone the rootkit author still makes lots of money.

4. pacman7de

Malware ported to Linux ..

How does this Zorenium get onto the devices in the first place? link

5. adnim
    Trollface

I thought

iPads were only rooted to install Android.

6. hypernovasoftware

Jailbreakers get what they deserve.

A world of hurt.

1. adnim
      Meh

or a world of feedom

depends if they are IT professionals or consumers aka product.

Really need a shrug icon so I can indicate my indifference to your response. I suppose meh will do.

No I didn't down vote you, I am not so petty.

7. heenow

A Brit?

"this would hint that a Brit is behind the sale"

Nah. A Brit is unlikely to confuse there and their.

Also, is this whole piece just some sort of worst-possible case speculation, like a 10-circle Venn diagram with no common overlap except in the author's imagination?

The utterly minute number of jailbroken iOS devices makes this one helluva niche market for thieves, and those who engage in such jailbreaking are unlikely to be naive victims.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like