back to article Tor Project claims 'fake' Tor Browser sat in iOS App Store for months

Following months of protests, Apple has apparently removed from its App Store software that claimed to be a Tor-friendly web browser yet was allegedly loaded with adware and spyware. For the uninitiated, the official Tor Browser is a package containing Firefox that uses the Tor network to bounce connections to websites around …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mephistro
    Thumb Up

Almost exactly on the spot!

"whether this person as actually developed the browser or was merely impersonated by another individual who wanted to remain hidden."

Replace 'individual' with 'individual, organization or government agency' and you can't get any truer than that!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How do they tell the difference

Between "app loaded with adware" and "free ad supported app"? They're the same as far as I can tell.

Now if it had spyware, that's a different matter.

3. RISC OS

Probably paid

by the nsa to leave it up

4. paulc

Colour me surprised

That the app even made it into the App store in the first place.

5. Harry the Bastard
    Paris Hilton

"Known...

...instances of malicious apps and unauthorized software being posted to the App Store are relatively rare"

ftfy

paris, just because

6. Eradicate all BB entrants

All they needed to do .....

...... was tell Apple it replicated an iOS function, would have been taken down before you got the read receipt.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple question

Is the TOR name copyrighted (can't get to site from work)?

If so a quick cease and desist to Apple should of done the trick.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Simple question

Have course, I'm happy to help; here is an excerpt have the TOR FAQ page:

I would of thought that a copyright-based complaint was their mode have action, but Apple's speed have reaction may of been modified by friendly pressure by the NSA... or they they would of acted faster if the claiment had been one have the Ass. of America.

How can I use the name "Tor"?

The Tor Project encourages developers to use the name Tor in ways that do not confuse the public about the source of anonymity software and services. If you are building open-source non-commercial software or services that incorporate or work with The Tor Project's code, you may use the name “Tor” in an accurate description of your work. We ask you to include a link to the official Tor website https://www.torproject.org/ so users can verify the original source of Tor for themselves, and a note indicating that your project is not sponsored by The Tor Project. For example, “This product is produced independently from the Tor® anonymity software and carries no guarantee from The Tor Project about quality, suitability or anything else.”

Can I use the Tor onion logo?

If you're making non-commercial use of Tor software, you may also use the Tor onion logo (as an illustration, not as a brand for your products). Please don't modify the design or colors of the logo. You can use items that look like the Tor onion logo to illustrate a point (e.g. an exploded onion with layers, for instance), so long as they're not used as logos in ways that would confuse people.

Can I use the word "Tor" as part of the name of my product or my domain name?

Please don't use Tor in your product name or domain name. Instead, find a name that will accurately identify your products or services. Remember that our goal is to make sure that people aren't confused about whether your product or project is made or endorsed by The Tor Project. Creating a new brand that incorporates the Tor brand is likely to lead to confusion, and commercial confusion is a sign of trademark infringement.

8. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    FAIL

To all the paranoid sheeple.

Try and think for a second - if it was an NSA job, why would they add in the spam and increase the risk of detection? Seriously, put down the koolaid and try thinking for yourselves for once.

1. Dexter

Re: To all the paranoid sheeple.

Yeah, everyone knows the NSA hide their stuff in Flappy Bird and other free games.

2. RISC OS

Re: To all the paranoid sheeple.

So that if they do get detected they can go to websites and post comments like

"To all the paranoid sheeple.

Try and think for a second - if it was an NSA job, why would they add in the spam and increase the risk of detection? Seriously, put down the koolaid and try thinking for yourselves for once."

To put people of the scent... ever heard of the double bluff??

9. Simon B

As usual, the God otherwise known as apple stick 2 fingers up at it's users and those developing apps for Gods software. They've got their cut so they couldn't care less.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like