back to article Grav waves: Moment when 'father of Big Bang inflation' learns he was RIGHT ALL ALONG

Returning soldiers with children running into their arms. The look of shock during a birth or marriage proposal. Thanks to the ubiquity of phones, cameras and social networks, you're never far from a reaction shot online. And occasionally these snaps swerve around Facebook walls and into the history books. The BICEP2 team …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really, really impressed

Huge congratulations in order.

I had really begun to believe that the people who argued against inflation were on to something; it does seem so inherently improbable. Perhaps it's not surprising these guys have waited so long to be absolutely sure before publishing. But it's at least equal to the Higgs discovery, and it means theoretical physics is interesting again. The signals are now green, the mass and spacetime train can leave the sidings and get on.

2. Brian Miller
    Joke

Celebratory ice cream?

Will Ben & Jerry's be releasing Gravity Wavy? Or Big Bang Butterscotch?

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I suppose he didn't say

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Great work, and well-deserved bottle of bubbly

4. Turtle

Cautious.

"If this is true..."

Caution is always in order when looking at far-reaching results of very complex and delicate experiments. Recall how cautious CERN was to announce the discover of the Higgs boson. That worked out pretty well. Recall the affairs of the faster-than-light neutrinos and, going back further, cold fusion. Those worked out maybe not quite so well. (Add your own examples.)

There's plenty of time to celebrate. And, if they really want, plenty of time to look like a fool.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can I recommend Lubos Motl's blog with some coverage on winners and losers from these results, assuming as he does that they will be confirmed.

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Really impressed with his restrained and cautious response.

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Science is amazing!!

But cue the idiot creationists.

Ken Ham: "we can't really know for sure, since we weren't there"

1. JCitizen
      Holmes

Re: Science is amazing!!

I see no reason creationist can't abide by any scientific experiment, especially if it is reproducible. The big bang is not necessarily a proof that creation did happen in the Biblical sense, in fact it rather supports it for some who may not understand fully, because it happened so quickly in the 1st moments of the universe. We are all in search of the truth, and only an open mind can bring you to the Lord. Taking Genesis so literally when the rest of the Bible is admittedly cryptic is strange to me, and I wonder why so many Christians are so afraid of the search for truth. Nothing in science has shaken my faith. In fact it set me on a course toward it.

8. mike 32

Quite an innocuous opening statement...

but I guess they knew who the guy standing at the door was, and what he was researching.

Congratulations to them all!

9. Werner McGoole
    Joke

You call this a triumph for Einstein?

The cosmic gravitational background radiation is enough to make Einstein turn in his grave - although only very slightly.

This topic is closed for new posts.