back to article Surf's up near Saturn as boffins spot waves on Titan

“At Huntington and Malibu,” the Beach Boys wrote in their classic Surfin' Safari, “They're shooting the pier,” while “At Rincon they're walking the nose.” And out Saturn way, it now transpires, it may be possible to suit up and hang five on a methane break, because boffins believe they've found waves on the moon Titan. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alien

Surfing Titan

It's a (liquid) gas!

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Happy

Interesting news, but

It's a bit nippy for surfing, I would say, at −179.2 °C.

1. Tom 7

Re: Interesting news, but

The beach barbie would warm things up a bit.

2. Peter Ford

About the same as South Shields, I reckon.

A hollow glass surfboard should do the trick on liquid methane - I suspect the common epoxy-based composites might dissolve in methane, as would the varnish on a wooden board.

Maybe something more exotic, like an aluminium/aerogel sandwich?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"About the same as South Shields, I reckon."

Sanddancers don' need no steekin' wetsuits! Even in Winter!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2cm? And artificial reef could get that up to 3cm...where did I put my leash and sex wax?

4. Yet Another Hierachial Anonynmous Coward
    Pint

Kudos

I tip my hat to the scientists and boffins who have managed to measure/observe, or whatever they did, to something 2cm in size at that kind of distance. An incredible feat of technology.

5. G R Goslin

Announcing the bleeding obvious

And does Titan also have bears in the woods?

1. Wilseus

Re: Announcing the bleeding obvious

Care to explain what you mean by that, or are you just trolling?

2. Ian Bush
      Boffin

Might be "bleeding obvious" to you, but till it is observed it ain't science - it was probably bleeding obvious in 1588 that the heavier a thing was the faster it fell, but then Galileo's balls dropped and the world was changed.

And kudos to those involved just for being able to see this, as noted above.

1. WingCo

>the heavier a thing was the faster it fell

I'm afraid not. The force acting, gravity, is the same for any object, so a body in free fall will have the same acceleration regardless of weight. It is the aerodynamic property of the body which influences it's speed as it falls. So a feather and a heavier lead weight would hit the ground at the same time if they both possessed the same aerodynamic properties. And actually it is the aerodynamic property which limits the terminal velocity of the falling object. :-)

1. Malc

I'm afraid so. The slight vagaries of chaotic aerodynamics have a greater effect on lighter objects which slows them further than heavy objects. Try it with an empty box of matches and a box full of 2 pence pieces.

2. Wilseus

And now, WingCo, go and read Ian's comment properly this time!

6. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Silly question but what did they use that has a 2cm resolution? I didn't think any orbiter was that good ...

p.s. just read the article

"Four pixels in the images are brighter than one might expect from reflecting sunlight, Barnes reported at the conference. He concluded that they must represent something particularly rough on the surface — a wave or set of waves"

Four pixels? So it could be a lump of ice, a wave, an atmospheric disturbance or the Loch Titan Monster's back breaking the surface ...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hang Five?

Where do you surf? Isn't it Hang Ten?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Hang Five?

Sheesh! That's inflation for ya!

2. Chris G

One legged surfer or has REALLY good balance and does it with one foot behind an ear.

3. The last doughnut

Five lost to frostbite. Cheap wetsuit, see.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like