back to article VMware unleashes desktop-grade desktop-as-a-service service

VMware has flicked the switch on its Horizon DaaS (desktop-as-a-service) service. Virtzilla's service is based on Desktone, an outfit it acquired last year, and its schtick is that it allows customers to blend virtual desktops served from their premises with virtual desktops served from its cloud, an arrangement it talks up as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Knox
    Angel

Sounds Easy Enough

a SAN device that is not running any Microsoft software may be shared by more than one customer;

So that would be pretty much all SAN devices out there, then. I know plenty of SANs used to store Microsoft software; I know of none that run it.

1. InsideKnowledge

Re: Sounds Easy Enough

EMC Clariion's, and maybe even VNX's, run Windows XP or 2003 server

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I know of none that run it."

There are loads that run Windows Storage Server. e.g. HPs NAS heads for instance.

1. Smoking Gun

I don't want to be pedantic but HP NAS gateways are simply Proliant servers. There is no Windows on HP SAN's that I know off.

2. InsideKnowledge

EMC Clariion's and possibly VNX's run Windows XP or 2003 Server on the Storage Processors.

3. MrMur

"generally cloudbuzz-compliant"

Great phrase!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

perhaps it should be used as "CB" in future articles ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What does "customer" mean here?

Are readers perhaps being a little obtuse?

Suppose the underlying tin is owned and operated by (say) VMware (DaaS Wholesale) Inc based (say) in the US.

Suppose their sole customer, based in (say) Luxembourg, is (say) VMware (DaaS Retail) Inc.

The end user contracts with the Luxembourg company for their desktop services.

Only the big boys can play this kind of game because only the big boys have sufficiently expensive lawyers.

Is this a silly idea? (NB it's not a million miles from the corporate inter-country games played by the likes of Amazon and Costa and... Or even the regulator-blinding games played in the UK by BT Retail and the entirely unrelated BT Wholesale and BT Openreach).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like