back to article Report: Apple flushes 12.9-inch MaxiPad plan down the drain

Remember that 12.9-inch Apple iPad that was the darling of the rumor mill just months ago? Sources out of the Asian supply chain say, in their best New York accents, "Fuggedaboudit." The market-watchers at Taiwan's DigiTimes report that although large-size tablets have been all the buzz recently, those projects face problems …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. petur
    Facepalm

MaxiPad

Makes me think of.... oh nevermind

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: MaxiPad

Remind you of what....

The Austin Maxi ?

2. LarsG

Re: MaxiPad

Do you think Apple leaked a false story about larger tablets just so Samsung would go down this blind alley?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: MaxiPad... you won't, so please let me say it first..

www.target.com/c/feminine.../maxi-pads/-/N-5xtznZ5tcoz

I can see a lot of companies queueing up to sue on this one, and yes ... their products do have rounded corners.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem with the larger Samsung pads is the price. If they stopped trying to emulate Apple and gave them a reasonable price they would sell in large numbers to people like service engineers that need the larger screen but not the weight of a laptop.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

where do you think the large ipad rumor started? obviously it was subterfuge intended to get samsung to invest in a dead end (not unlike the smart watch).

2. Vector

"The problem with the larger Samsung pads is the price"

Agreed. I'm getting so sick of manufacturers adding a hundred bucks for every "feature" they throw in their devices. Add 16GB of memory that costs them maybe 5 dollars and that'll be another 100 to you and I.

This one is particularly nettling because the larger screen is either cheaper or a wash to the 10 inch due to probable lower defect rate in the glass.

I'd love to have a large tablet. I'd really like to have a 15" tablet. Maybe when Samsung starts writing off the 12 inchers and the discounting gets serious, I'll think about one.

1. Robert Sneddon

Panasonic

have a 20" diagonal tablet for sale if you think you're person enough to handle it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is the excuse of the "analysts"

Who made up the big iPad, and want to back off that prediction when they realize the 12.9 Retina screens were destined for MacBook Air like I said all along.

Like how they try to salvage their reputation by claiming that Apple binned the idea, rather than admitting "we were wrong and Apple was never going to do that in the first place, because there's no market for giant tablets"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is the excuse of the "analysts"

Oh wow! You is so prescient.

2. Tom 35

Just like Jobs was right and no one wanted a small tablet, have to sharpen your fingers and all that. And big phones? No one would buy such a thing. Apple know exactly what people want.

1. rvt

I was reading somewhere that phablets are just 10% or for word wide sales, so I think apple was kinda right there. I do believe apple was wrong with smaller tablets. I am not sure myself if that because of price or that people really love smaller tablet sizes.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big tablet = too big?

Lets not forget all the Android fanboys who were saying 7" was just right and 9-10" was too big.

1. csumpi
      Mushroom

and let's not forget about you fandouches who said 10 inch was perfect and now dropping double the price of a nexus7 on ipad minis.

5. Herby

Pardon me sir...

You are mistaking me for someone who actually gives a damn.

As said in previous comments the term "MaxiPad" has other meanings. Never mind.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

technical issues

If I were designing a 13" 4K tablet for high volume production, easy to see problems with two key technical aspects.

1. Current SoC performance isn't quite up the 4K job and delays in new processes like volume TSMC 20nm and Intel 14nm means some 2014 products have had to be pushed back to 2015.

2. Yields on 13" 4K panels apparently means it continues to be difficult to hit decent volume pricing.

Basically adds up to better left until end 2014 probably Spring 2015 before making high volumes of devices in this category.

No need to ascribe a technical delay like this to marketing or childish 8" good 12" bad kind of commentary.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My Samsung telly has apps and a browser, just like an iPad. Good screen size at 22", but quite tiring to carry.

1. Ted Treen
      Coat

It's not the Sammy TV...

...it's the 45 miles of extension lead that's wearing you out. :-)

8. Paradroid

My iPad and Logitech keyboard make a surprisingly great device, so much so that I rarely use it as a tablet now. It's completely replaced a MacBook Pro, and can still get most stuff done.

My hunch was that they would build a 12.9" iOS laptop device. But I agree a retina MBA is more likely.

1. toughluck

Just goes to show you how little you can do with a MacBook Pro rather than the other way around. Seriously, why did you have a high performance laptop in the first place if you managed to completely replace it with a commodity appliance? For show?

9. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    Facepalm

So you mean people aren't prepared to pay twice as much for a 12.2" tablet as for a 10.1" tablet?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mixed opinions on tablet girth...

Popping into John Lewis today to get away from the peasants, I took a look at Dell's XPS 18 which can act in a tablet capacity, complete with its 18 inch screen.

I pointed out to Jeeves (while he was keeping the plebes away with a large stick) that while a large device has some attraction, particularly when one needs to show off one's portfolio, the disadvantage is that one's man servant would need beefy arms to hold such a tablet whilst one used said device.

Bertie

11. Frankee Llonnygog

So...

... no Apple Large Screen TV, iWatch, MaxiPad, Large screen iPhone.

If all these analysts were laid end-to-end, it would be easier to load them into the circus cannon

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The strategy is brilliant.

1. Start a rumour.

2. Samsung builds the rumour.

3. Evaluate Samsung's product, and it's performance in the market.

4. Decide whether or not to build your own product.

Seriously, I've said before that the MacRumours website could publish a rumour about an iTurd, and Samsung would take the bait.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The strategy is brilliant.

"MacRumours website could publish a rumour about an iTurd, and Samsung would take the bait."

It happened. They called it the Galaxy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like