back to article 'Space gemstone' meteorite crashes at auction

A "magnificent" 420kg meteorite crammed with "spectacular olivine crystals" failed to move buyers at Bonhams New York yesterday and went unsold, Reuters reports. The Fukang meteorite. Pic: Bonhams New York The 4.5 billion-year-old "Stony Iron Pallasite*" Fukang meteorite - discovered in China in 2000 - had been expected to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John
    Alien

Life Lessons

I own a coprolite sample and an pallasite sample, both bought for under 100USD.

The coprolite reminds me that shit happens, and has been happening for millions of years.

The fragment of pallasite reminds me that shit happens, and has been happening for billions of years.

Anyway they rock!

(yes yes... I'll get my coat)

PS If you're a young-earth creationsit theist - then fuck you you dumb shit, have a nice day. :)

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge
    Coat

They should have taken a tip from the RIAA

Only shite sells these days.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well,

Scotland is actually littered with these sorts of things.

People are dumb.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Um...

Scotland is littered with shite? Hmmm. Step ootside Jimmy?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@ Greg Fleming

It's a real bugger because the council never fines the people leaving them behind.

Mine's the GoreTex one with the geologist's hammer in the pocket.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Greg Fleming

>Scotland is actually littered with these sorts of things.

Just Scotland? I wonder what the Scots have done to deserve this bombardment of half tonne rocks.

Maybe this one landing in Fukang is unusual in that respect then?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

How did they name it?

"Fukang meteorite" was this the exclamation the person made when it landed at their feet?

8. Steve Foster

Should have stuck it on eBay...

...but the postage fee would be a bitch (420kg!)

9. Darren Lovell

Somebody paid for crap over a meteorite?

I'd rather go home empty handed from an auction than pay for crap, fossilised or not.

I guess whoever bought the dino-crap probably drinks the £50 a cup cat-crap coffee too.

10. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

@Steve Foster

Yes, buy it now : 8p

Postage: £2,000,000.

Much like anything sold in hong kong.

11. Joe K

Lost of rocks on ebay

Including a bit of the rock in the story: http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-new-pallasite-FUKANG-meteorite-from-China_W0QQitemZ180237763091QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3239QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"This piece is worth more than $250.00" Oh yeah, the price currently is $80, someone certainly has an overinflated sense of worth.

12. Nick Davey

If they want shot of it...

I'll give em a tenner for it, would make a conversation piece from the coffee table for sure

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Rappers From Space!

composed of approximately 50 per cent olivine and peridot crystals and '50 cent' nickel-iron

14. George Johnson
    Coat

"Fukang meteorite"

That's a bit harsh. Just because it didn't sell there's no need to get all hufty about it!

15. Neil

@John

Right on!

I was hoping for some attempted canny rebuttal from our creationist friends, but perhaps they've located the second brain cell and moved on, or perhaps our lovely moderator has condemned them to the depths of the recycle bin.

Mr Greg Fleming Sir, if that's the case why not go find and sell the fukang things at $2m a pop? Surely knowing about them and not doing so is rather dumb as well!

16. andy gibson
    Joke

The reason it didn't sell

was obviously because it wasn't really from space and found at the bottom of a deep ocean trench. See Dan Brown and "Deception Point". It's all true because he says it is at the start of his book.

17. Kuji
    Stop

Ummm

$960 for a piece of really old shit... thats not bad eh... surely someone could have coughed up $2m for the stone

18. Andrew Moore
    Coat

@AC

>composed of approximately 50 per cent olivine and peridot crystals and '50 cent' nickel-iron

Could have been worse- '50 Cent Nickleback'- rap/rock fusion...

19. hexacet

2 million for a rock?

still a hell of a lot less than the british tax payers paying for a somewhat less solid rock

eitherway you must be fukang insane to part with that kind of cash!

hexa

20. Anthony Chambers
    Alien

It's only

a 'Fukang meteorite' for Fukang's sake! Ha ha

21. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@greg

Well, really. We all know they were left by Welsh sheep.

22. JR SPACEWALKER

It surrounds us

The power of crap

23. Tom Kelsall

@ Nick Davey

I can't believe you beat me to that comment. First thing I thought when I saw the article.

This topic is closed for new posts.