back to article Adobe lifts Flash and AIR development restrictions

Adobe Systems is throwing open its Flash and AIR file formats to speed delivery of Rich Internet Applications to billions of mobile devices with its tools and players. The company is expected to announce that - as of today - all restrictions on SWF for multi-media and vector graphics and FLV/F4V, for video on Flash, have been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Justin Clift
    Happy

Cool!

Hopefully this means I can add full desktop recording as an flv video stream to my OSS eLearning project (www.salasaga.org). :)

Though, if they're truly going royalty free with this, maybe Adobe should consider using something like theora (www.theora.org) for future video streaming...?

2. Ross Aitken

Bluestreak?

Where does Bluestreak fit in with all this? I worked with it a little while back. It's a full Flash player for mobiles (they only had a Series 60 client as I remember), their main selling point being that Flash Lite is too limited whereas they could render anything that could render on a desktop. I think they started on Set top boxes and figured that mobile was the next step for them.

I wrote SWF files using Flash with some extra APIs for native device calls (like SMS and call handling) and it ran them quite impressively. At the time I didn't really understand how they could do that - I'm pretty sure they didn't license anything from Adobe.

Anyway, sounds like this could knock the wind out of their sales (ahem).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Opera on Wii

So since Adobe's Flash SDK was stuck on version 7 and Opera had to use that for the browser on the Wii, does this mean they (and Nintendo) could actually embed Flash 9 now and have a great platform for viewing videos? Anyone fancy a Wii based media centre?

4. James Le Cuirot
    Thumb Up

Nice move

Nice move, Adobe. Those Gnash guys have had it tough so far, this should help a hell of a lot.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

How about a 64-bit version

It's only been a few years that they have been saying that they are working on "support for 64-bit platforms as part of our (their) ongoing commitment to cross-platform compatibility". The only reason I still have to use a 32-bit web browser, is for flash.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like