back to article You thought it was dead – but Flappy Bird may return: Millions prepare to poke own eyes out

Dong Nguyen, creator of cult game Flappy Bird, has told Rolling Stone he's got three more games in the works. The magazine travelled to Vietnam to meet Nguyen, who tells the story of Flappy Bird's rise and how he found it hard to appreciate its success. Nguyen also told the magazine he's working on three new games. One is “an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's his company name? DongSoft?

1. xperroni

It's called GEARS. It's what's in the logo that appears before Flappy Bird's title screen, at any rate.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I like the name DongSoft. My favorite, all be it fictional, company name has to be Wang Cars from GTA San Andreas.

2. xperroni
    Coat

Once burned, twice willing?

Well, I guess the lure of the spotlight was stronger than the horrors its light revealed.

Mine is the one with the pocket edition of "poetry for dummies" in the, uh, pocket.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Once burned, twice willing?

He might simply enjoy creating games, many coders do. Seeing your game being enjoyed is a reward in itself and it sounds like he wants that, without the celebrity and even without the riches.

3. Ketlan
    Devil

Not again...

"with the addition of warnings to stop players being consumed by it"

The sub-heading got it right - 'get a life'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not again...

Get swift cover?

4. Vociferous

So it WAS a PR stunt.

Surprise, surprise.

I wonder what Commodore 64-era games he'll steal from for his new games. Maybe he could make a game about a squirrel mining for diamonds while avoiding falling rocks? He could call it Diggy Squirrel.

1. stu 4

Re: So it WAS a PR stunt.

"I wonder what Commodore 64-era games he'll steal from for his new games. Maybe he could make a game about a squirrel mining for diamonds while avoiding falling rocks? He could call it Diggy Squirrel."

i hope so!

diggy squirrel is a great name for a game!

I'd buy it.

p.s. if yer talking about boulder dash there were no squirrels in it ?? WTF would a squirrel be doing mining for diamonds. Squirrels prefer opals. everyone knows that FFS.

2. DropBear

I'm thinking ZX Spectrum: "West Bank" as the cowboy shooter. Never mind it has been rewritten a couple of times already for Android...

EDIT: ...well, that, or "High Noon".

3. Frumious Bandersnatch

I wonder what Commodore 64-era games he'll steal from for his new games

Well, from the article, the “untitled cowboy-themed shooter” could be a remake of Kane. You even get to shoot down flappy birds (well, ducks) in the first part.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

once bitten twice shy

If he wants to avoid his Flappy Birds situation for his new games, I suppose he could limit the number of downloads, or make the game time limited either on the store or on the device. Or perhaps have the game self delete if the user is not showing a reasonable skill increase - to avoid frustration. Oh, and remove any advertising after a financial threshold is met so he doesn't make so much money next time. And switch off his Twitter and Facebook account. Or else become a postman or something.

6. RyokuMas
    FAIL

"Flappy birdman plans three new games..."

... which translates to about 3000 clones and a flood of shite in all the app stores. Time to check my release schedule again to avoid the clashes!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jumping, by Limmy

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Limmy.Jumping

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like