back to article China to blow away smog with DRONES

China is set to unleash a fleet of unmanned aerial vehicles to clear the smog from its skies as part of Beijing’s newly declared “war on pollution”. The smog-busting drones were designed by the Aviation Industry Corporation of China and will be tested later this month at airports and ports, according to a Chinese language …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thorne
    FAIL

Yay

Lets solve the pollution problem by using more chemicals......

1. Michael Thibault
      Facepalm

Re: Yay

What could possibly go wrong?

2. Ole Juul

State deodorant

Beijing is already employing giant deodorant cannons to deal with landfill odour. I suspect this is part of their national defence strategy. Nobody is going to want to go there.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: State deodorant

Looks like the smog clearing chemical will probably be liquid nitrogen, something the Chinese have been testing for awhile:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/03/china-is-deploying-smog-busting-drones-so-its-airports-can-stay-open/

1. squigbobble

At least it's environmentally friendly :/ They're probably trying to nucleate the smog aerosols or nucleate moisture in the air to rain the smog out. Yay for targeted acid rain.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Beijing is already employing giant deodorant cannons to deal with landfill odour"

I could do with some of those round my desk. Actually, my colleagues could do with some of those round my desk, since I prefer my own rich miasma to synthetic scents.

2. Chairo
    Devil

Progress is marching on...

stomping over everything in it's way.

At least it's cutting edge technology. As next step I propose to build some water treatment facilities.

- What do you mean: "the water is already poisoned, anyway"?

3. frank ly

Amazing

They have over a hundred years of freely available Western industrial and economic history to study, to see what can go wrong - but they do exactly the same thing, even worse than we did.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Not really worse as such

China's just on a much bigger scale.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not really worse as such

"China's just on a much bigger scale"

And we smug Westerners have outsourced a large proportion of our dirty activities to China, because consumers won't pay/can't afford for everything they currently want to be made to EU/US environmental, welfare and social standards.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, but given time and the path our economic leaders are taking, it won't be long before China begins exporting its work to a 3rd world, aka US.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

" it won't be long before China begins exporting its work to a 3rd world, aka US"

Not necessarily.

As with pollution and graft, the Chinese have learned fast. So they've got a huge misallocation of capital, a looming growth cliff, an out of control shadow banking sector, a property boom that looks likely to end in tears, and vast amounts of public debt (albeit held at local government level more than centrally). So it could all end in tears with a massive crash and lower living standards.

But the UK is also loaded with debt, the Yanks are loaded with debt, the Eurozone is loaded with debt, Japan is loaded with debt, as is China. The only question is who falls off the edge of the world first. My money's on Japan, due to the ageing population, vast debt levels and no currency union to bail them out, and a worrying trade deficit. Put simply, if average interest rates hit 2%, 80% of Japan's government budget would be taken up by interest. Greece, you say? Greece was about the 45th largest economy in the world, Japan is the 6th. That'll bring water to a lot of eyes.

And if not Japan, then the next most likely country to stop spinning in the bowl and leave no more than skidmark as it disappears round the U-bend is us in Blighty. Now that would be a laugh if the Scots vote to stay, and we then bankrupt THEM, whilst Icelanders look on with a warm feeling of schadenfreude.

1. jphb

Perhaps somebody could explain who are all these debts owed to.

1. proud2bgrumpy
                Paris Hilton

@jpbp, "Perhaps somebody could explain who are all these debts owed to."

- thats what I'm thinking - I thought the we were in debt to the US and China and the US in debt to China - so who the heck is China in debt to? Who's the heck is left that is big enough to hold that sort of debt? It can't be India - we send them £M in aid to help them use their mobile phones for tele-banking. Is this all just a load of b*llsh*t designed to keep us in a perpetual state of confusion, doubt and uncertainty?

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"But the UK is also loaded with debt..."

Ah, but the UK at least paid off its WWII debt.

I was passing through Heathrow at the time it was announced on the news.

We in the US decided to simply pile it on top of the rest, then pile even more on top of that.

2. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Amazing

As far as I understand they feel they have the right to do the same errors as we did in order to get rich too.

4. Tom 7

Now the smog's cleared

I can see you have blisters on your body from the rain!

5. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

It's all a deception!

Their normal chemtrail-making gear has broken (being made in China and all), so they have to use a temporary backup and this is a cover story! Of course, they cannot just stop spraying altogether while they are repairing their equipment - they'd be excluded from the Illuminati club!

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Adam 1

I, for one, welcome our unmanned flying chemical blasting overlords.

8. Travelling_Tom
    Flame

Tin hat needed

I live in China

I cannot drink the tap water

I cannot breath the air at almost 50 times the maximum permitted pm2.5

Now they are going to drop it on my head... and feed it into my food chain..

Bring on the Tin Hat and Beer .. ..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like