back to article Facebook, Instagram give dodgy online gun sales the BULLET

Bowing to public pressure, Facebook and Instagram have announced new policies aimed at curbing the sale of firearms and other legally questionable items via their online services. "People sometimes use our free tools to discuss products that are regulated or controversial," Facebook policy head Monika Bickert acknowledged on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning

n the knitting trading forum

Vendor: Hello I have some knitting needles for sale.

Buyer: What size, make etc?

V: It is 9 mm thick. Made by Glocken-knit. In good shape.

B: Do you also sell yarn with it?

V: Yes I have 200 feet of yarn for extra $1 per foot.

Facebook are just trying to be seen to be doing the right thing.

1. stucs201

Re: n the knitting trading forum

I wonder if the reverse is true?

In the fizzy booze forum:

I'd like to buy 44 magnums of champagne...

...Facebook: "this is an illegal transation".

1. Tom 13

Re: n the knitting trading forum

Actually, Facebook haven't changed anything. They aren't a sales site and they've re-affirmed that policy.

See this link for a different take on what happened:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/05/NRA-Beats-Bloomberg-Moms-Demand-Action-In-Facebook-Battle

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: fizzy booze

I want things to go with a bang. I'm going to need 44 magnums and there may be shots later. People are going to be wasted.

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

The way Moms Demand Action (stupid name BTW) carry on you'd think it was otherwise impossible to buy firearms illegally. Every felon knows places where you can buy firearms illegally. There are also plenty of "legitimate" dealers who aren't averse to the odd under the counter sale.

Yes stopping this sort of trade can't be a bad thing, but I don't suppose it accounts for a significant portion of illegal firearms sales.

1. Eddy Ito

I'd wager most, like >99%, of the transactions are perfectly legal now that everyone knows this stuff is undoubtedly monitored by the NSA, FBI and every other TLA in government. Heck, it could be the most legit weapons market going.

3. Big-nosed Pengie

There are *legal* gun sales online?

Facepalm.

1. Tom 13

Re: There are *legal* gun sales online?

Yes and no.

You can find any information you want about just about any firearm, legally online, including prices. After you find the information you have to go to a physical location to complete the transaction. Given that 90%+ firearms sales in the US are through licensed gun dealers, that means all the obstacles the government has placed in the path of legitimate gun purchases have to be met and overcome. Private sales from person to person have always been allowed under US law and are not prohibited even though our misinformed author believes otherwise.

4. An0n C0w4rd
    WTF?

Amazing

I'm sure that putting a nice notice on peoples accounts reminding them to obey local/state/federal laws will make EVERYONE stop doing anything illegal and fall right in line (!)

This isn't a freedom of speech issue, although I'm sure the NRA would make it one.

1. Tom 13

Re: Amazing

It is a freedom of speech issue even if that doesn't comport with your narrow view of the world. It might not be a 1st amendment issue in the sense that the government is seeking to censor something. Then again, given the 1st amendment has been incorporated against states, counties, municipalities and cities, and the one of the astroturf groups pressing the issue is Mayors Against Illegal Guns, maybe it is. Certainly FB are allowed to set their own rules. But it is bad Karma to piss off gun owners and their sympathizers. We vote and shop in accordance with our beliefs. Trample on our rights we trample on your sales or your votes as is appropriate.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe they should address the core issue

A society awash with guns will always have 'sales' however contrived.

It's not the mechanism (website) that's the problem, it's the widespread availability of the guns themselves.

AC because of the gun nut backlash.

1. boba1l0s2k9

Re: Maybe they should address the core issue

I heard they even sell ah-toh-mo-beals online. Dangerous things I hear.

Maybe the "core issue" is nut jobs, not dangerous items.

1. boba1l0s2k9

Re: Maybe they should address the core issue

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_06.pdf

Suicide kills twice as many people vs homicide (by and means). And you'd have to sum up both suicide and homicide to match the number who die each year from the flu and pnemonia. And accidents are more than double this figure. Cancer is most 5x the deaths vs accidents. Heart disease kills even more people than that.

Guns are dangerous. But our perception of their danger is waaaay out of whack. Despite the fact that I've now just extracted a few data points from a CDC report and made some comparisons, I expect down votes. If you down vote me, I encourage you to say why.

6. M7S

Usual nonsense.

There's no difference in the legal obligation on the gun dealer to make the appropriate checks simply due to the advertising being online as described in the article. Certainly it gives them a wider potential audience but this is the typical "blame the internet" response. Any substantial offence is the same and would be committed if they'd met in a bar or via a 5x3" card posted in the customer notices secton at the local newsstand.

It would be like complaining that paved roads enabled people to travel further and sell more guns and blaming the highways authorities for facilitating crime. That's leaving out the issue of the death rate on the roads...

7. Elmer Phud

It's a start

Next they need to tackle the sunglasses/trainers spam.

An addition to the drop-down menu -- "report this fucker as a serial spammer".

There are mods on some groups that are good at putting blocks on spammers but some groups don't give toss (and people go elsewhere).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's a start

"It's a start

Next they need to tackle the sunglasses/trainers spam.

An addition to the drop-down menu -- "report this fucker as a serial spammer".

There are mods on some groups that are good at putting blocks on spammers but some groups don't give toss (and people go elsewhere)."

If you are using the service, you are part of the problem and deserve as much spam as you can't stuff down your throat!

Sheeple, the weak and feeble, deserve to be used/abused and traded like the fools they are. No sympathy is due and will never be provided.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

""Anyone who couldn't pass a background check – for instance, a domestic abuser or a felon – can just log on to the social media gun show on Facebook or Instagram and find a private seller," the Moms Demand Action web page on the subject alleges. "In fact, you have to provide more information to create a Facebook account than you do to complete a gun sale or trade initiated online.""

Let the 'mericans kill themselves! Honestly, no one will care less!

They don't even care for each other, so don't be upset when sanity tells you they deserve the outcome.

Don't f*ck the devil then complain he's given you a dose.

9. Tom 13

The following statement from this article is patently false

and were we in the UK instead of the US would likely land you a defamation suit:

By arranging sales in this way, gun dealers can flout various state and federal firearms regulations, such as laws requiring gun buyers to show identification, or those forbidding sales of guns to minors.

Federally licensed firearms dealers are required to adhere to the same sales regime regardless of the location of the transaction. They must submit the sale through the instant background check and keep the appropriate record of the transaction. There is no Gun Show Loophole for licensed dealers. The so-called loophole is that if you are at a gun show you are more likely to run into private sellers than merely walking around the mall. Private sellers have never been and are not now legally required to run background checks on gun sales by the federal government.

10. Swarthy
    Joke

Moms Demand Action

We must stop Moms Demand Action! If they get their way, they will want more action, and will change to Moms Demand More Action.

...Then we find out that the head of the organization is named Molly....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like