back to article Google! and! Facebook! IDs! face! Yahoo! login! BAN!

Yahoo! doesn't want to play nice with Google and Facebook anymore. The result: the pair of competing free-content ad networks will be booted off Yahoo!'s turf. The purple-tinged web giant plans to stop its users from logging into sites such Flickr, Fantasy Sports and other Yahoo!-owned stuff using their Google and Facebook IDs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. wyatt

I had to create an account to access Flickr after BT got rid of my btinternet account. Not sure what use it will be to Yahoo with the Bo0Iocks I stuck in?

Anyone recommend another service other than Flickr for sharing photos with some level of control?

1. monkeyfish

I'd have recommended picasa, but...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Your own server, running something like Joomla or Wordpress perhaps?

Not ideal, but it's yours to control as you wish.

1. Florida1920

I use Zenphoto on a few sites.

http://www.zenphoto.org/

3. monkeyfish

Probably going to move to G+, even though I've told them to sod off each time they asked to upgrade. Sigh. Once again Google wins by being the least shit option.

1. Gordon 10

Agreed. Its very much becoming a case of "better the devil you know".

Wasnt entirely sure whether to up vote you for telling it straight or downvote you for depressing me ;)

4. Peter Storm

"another service other than Flickr for sharing photos"!

I would recommend having a look at ipernity.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Anyone recommend another service other than Flickr for sharing photos with some level of control?

You're better off dropping Flickr anyway. Pipl.com and other privacy scraping sites have been busy scraping photos after a revised privacy T&C. No alternate recommendations. With the past years mind-blowing privacy revelations, buying memory keys and handing photos to close friends by hand to watch on their non-smart TV's has never seemed more attractive to me.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does a little piece of a PR flack die every time they write this rubbish?

"Improve the user experience" - yes, the only thing wrong with my day is that I haven't had to log on enough times yet...

I do understand their motivation, I do accept their need to pursue revenue, I do know that I'm the product not the customer, et-sodding-cetera. But please stop varnishing the turd (or find a varnish that hides the smell better).

1. 's water music

Re: Does a little piece of a PR flack die every time they write this rubbish?

you had me at PR flack die

2. monkeyfish

You can roll the turd in glitter. Works much better than polishing (or indeed varnishing).

1. thomas k.

You can roll the turd in glitter.

Ooh, shiny!

3. Pseudonymous Coward

> Does a little piece of a PR flack die every time they write this rubbish?

I seem to remember people getting worked up about eBay "simplifying" their fee structure by significantly raising everything to 10% a year or two ago. I'm not an eBay seller so haven't really followed that, but if true that beats this Yahoo stunt by miles.

In any case couldn't agree more, this PR/marketing wish-wash is nauseating.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yahoo still going?

Dont know anyone who uses it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yahoo still going?

I do...and I know lots of people that use Flickr

2. Kepler
      Unhappy

Inertia and path-dependence are powerful forces! The last time I made a "public service" Facebook post about the immediate need of all Yahoo! users to re-set their passwords -- was it 2 or 3 weeks ago or so? -- I found out that many of my friends still use Yahoo! for their e-mail.

But they're not half as stupid or lazy as I am: I still use AOL for my primary e-mail address! And curse it every single time I sign in. Even just using their Web site (I stopped loading their God-accursed software onto my computer years ago!), the ads and the memory leaks quickly bring my computer to its knees.

But moving would be such a royal pain in the arse. And GMail (the most obvious alternative) would bring its own set of myriad annoyances. While it does several things better than anyone else I know of, it does a whole slew of things wrong, too. Including several that even lowly, God-accursed AOL gets right!

Google's motto could be: "We usually suck a bit less than the others. But sometimes we don't."

1. pjpw2320

Have you looked at zoho.com? It has a very capable and feature rich email service as well as MANY other web related services, many of which are free for personal use, including their email.

4. Rob Thorley

Yahoo?

They updated their Ts & Cs for existing accounts a month ago or so.

Took a look, deleted my account. I was only using it to look at Yahoo News, which I can get elsewhere.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

And so Yahoo! continues

it's slide into oblivion

Come on, Marissa, you should know better than to become a pale copy of Google.

You cannot survive on copying Google. You just can't.

1. xperroni

Re: And so Yahoo! continues

Come on, Marissa, you should know better than to become a pale copy of Google.

Should her?

I always thought she was brought in to "Googlify" Yahoo!

Why did they even give her the job then?

6. David 164

Well it didn't make much sense for Google to be handing rivals their data in the first place.

7. Charles Manning

Use! your! !! while! you! can!

Yahoo! is! looking! like! it! is! on! an! accelerating! death! spiral!.!

If! you! get! left! with! a! handful! of! !! you! will! feel! like! a! twat!.!.

Use! em! whle! you! can!!!

8. FatherStorm

betta securitah!

So.. instead of being able to use my G+ auth, which is backed up with Google's 2-factor auth app, Yahoo! would prefer that I rely on their "security"? I can't even count how many times in the last 2 years I've had to change my Y! password because of a breach on their side.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

I use Flickr - but the only reason I'm still with it is because I can sign in with my Google ID.

I can't remember the last time I signed into Yahoo and removed it as my homepage months ago, but if they implement this it'll only ever be used to log in to Flickr, so not sure just how much data they'll be slurping....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like