back to article Flying fondleslab causes injury after plane hits turbulence

Hot on the heels of news that Australian wasps can ground a plane comes another cautionary tale from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), this time concerning the perils of flying laptop computers and iPads. The two devices fell from an overhead bin during turbulence last November. The ATSB's report on the incident …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

I blame Apple

It would have never happened with a tablet based on an open source operating system

1. Mike Bell

Re: I blame Apple

I blame global warming.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

This would never have happened to an Apple fanboi. Or if an iPad did slap him in the face he would have at least said "Please sir, may I have another!".

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My wife does, if you think these devices are only dangerous on an aircraft think again.

I was hit by my iPod as it curved a trajectory through the air courtesy of her indoors. No lasting damage though!

4. 's water music

> It would have never happened with a tablet based on an open source operating system

imagine if it had not had rounded corners though :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That means for safety reason Apple has no right to patent round corners!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Sure, nobody would have cared to bring it onboard... it would have been safe in a drawer at home (as Cook said about competiting tablets!)

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I blame my ex-wife. But then I blame her for everything.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Typical reg

Attacking Apple, as if it made any difference what OS the fondleslab was using

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor

Re: Typical reg

Not sure how we are attacking Apple here: the ATSB report mentions it was an iPad.

Having said that, I would not want the stand on the Lenovo Yoga tablets to hit me from any height!

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

"Not sure how we are attacking Apple here"

No, you don't understand! It was a case of an attacking Apple! The Apple attacked the passenger! Bwahahahaha!

2. Chairo
      WTF?

Did you bother to read the story before posting?

If so, where do you see any attack on Apple?

1. Ole Juul

where do you see any attack on Apple?

I guess you need to read between the lines. Perhaps even between those.

1. The First Dave

Re: where do you see any attack on Apple?

"I guess you need to read between the lines" ->

"The report does not say if the third person sustained an injury."

Yes, it does.

3. Ole Juul

What is this, some kind of social experiment pitting Yet Another Anonymous coward against Yet Another Anonymous coward to see what the response is? Unless this is the same YAAc, may I suggest that YAAcs don't respond to each other so as to avoid confusion.

It was a cheap version of a text-in vote to see how many Apple fans there are !

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: may I suggest that YAAcs don't respond to each other so as to avoid confusion

No, you may not. Those of us in the YAAc Continuum speak for myself/us/it when we/me/them suggest you'd be better off increasing your Ambiguity Tolerance.

3. Neoc

Gives new meaning to...

Turbulent stomach? Take two tablets and call me in the morning.

4. Charles Manning

All Apple's fault

Apple should have patented turbulence then nobody else would experience it!

- or -

Maybe it's because flight mode isn't working properly....

These agencies are pretty stupid. Anything to get in the news.... Briefcase/duty free bottles fall out of compartment is not news, but iPads are...

5. arkhangelsk

What I'm interested is

were those computers and tablets functional after the knock?

6. xperroni

Could have been worse

A mere thirty years ago that laptop could have been an Osborne.

Who'd have guessed the day would come when our obsession for ever slimmer, lighter gear would actually save lives?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Could have been worse

"A mere thirty years ago that laptop could have been an Osborne."

So now we would have a laptop from a privileged lineage, no understanding of what an average user needs and absolutely no experience for its job function?

No just a heavy fat one that you could never fit into an overhead bin and would crush you flat if it ever landed on you.

It was also a large early portable computer

2. xperroni

So now we would have a laptop from a privileged lineage, no understanding of what an average user needs and absolutely no experience for its job function?

Having neglected to clarify what Osborne I was talking about (it was this one, just so you be sure), I was afraid someone would conjure the image of a large-boned Heavy Metal singer falling on top of people, but this is even worse.

Oh Internet, you never cease to surprise and terrify me.

7. Aslan

So can babies

The same is true of babies. Babies may also become projectiles. Make sure strap your baby into a seat.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Re: So can babies

The same is true of babies.

Although I think it's fairly unlikely anyone would put a baby into an overhead locker. At least I hope it is.

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

Perhaps we need to update this one...

"When Baby's cries got hard to bear,

I popped him in the Frigidare.

I never would have done so, if

I'd known that he'd get frozen stiff.

My wife cried, "Dear, I'm so unhappy,

my darling's now completely frappé..."

Ruthless Rhymes for Heartless Homes - Harry Graham

2. veti Silver badge

Although I think it's fairly unlikely anyone would put a baby into an overhead locker.

You'd be surprised.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AndrueC

It's been known!!!!

My sister was a flight attendant for a moderately well known airline flying the Pacific, and she used to tell the tale of one of the crew finding a baby in a flax (or similar woven material) basket in an over head locker.

I won't say from which island nation they had departed, but it did happen.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah, another case of mis-use of the English language to sensationalise a story of questionable news-worthiness... the ATSB should be ashamed! I'm pretty sure the word 'projectile' refers to an object having been launched in some way, and that an object dropping from an overhead locker doesn't really fall (pardon the pun) into that category.

"Babies may also become projectiles"

Anything can become a projectile, if you have a big enough catapult...

"Fetchez la vache!"

8. Mark 85

Enquiring minds...

Did the rounded corners on the iPad help to reduce the injury????

9. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

I suppose the Aussie transport safety board forgot...

That books, purses, suitcases, magazines, pencils, etc. can all be made into projectiles during severe turbulence. In fact, I'm willing to bet that in the history of commercial air travel some poor guy got poked in the eye by a turbulence-propelled peanut!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I suppose the Aussie transport safety board forgot...

But notebooks and tablets are heavy for their size and usually have thin edges, and thereby more dangerous on average than other objects.

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: I suppose the Aussie transport safety board forgot...

Seems to me they are well aware that almost anything can become a dangerous projectile and hence the suggestion for securely storing such things; putting them in softer carrying cases or bags and keeping that closed, rather than having them loose and free to become projectiles.

Of course the whole kit and caboodle can come crashing down but that's less likely to happen unless turbulence is particularly bad.

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Windows

Saw a bottle of wine fall out once, onto someone's head!

It was OK, the bottle didn't break.

True story though.

11. southpacificpom
    Joke

The iPad never caused any injuries, they have rounded corners.

12. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Read much?

"The report does not say if the third person sustained an injury."

I love the way the author seems to have cut and pasted text from the report without actually reading it. Erm, try reading the line above that you had cut and pasted.

"Another received a rib injury and a third was injured by an iPad.”

So yes it states as clearly as can be that the third person sustained an injury.

Writing is an important skill in journalism, but then so is reading.

1. Rob Thorley

Re: Read much?

I had to re-read that again. The text says "The report does not say if the third person sustained an iInjury."

I expect that is supposed to read 'i-Injury', i.e., a special Apple-branded experience.

No, me neither.

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Re: Read much?

Well spotted.

I only spot jokes that are funny.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The issue are not latches - it's the amount of silly stuff people force into overhead bins

Overhead bins should be redesigned for the amount of stuff (and size) people force there because they're afraid of how checked baggage is handled (including stolen items) and because they do not want to wait for baggage delivey. Most bins are overloaded, and barely close. Also they are designed so the average luser traveller can open them easily - a better, just a little more complex latch will surely be impossible to open to the average drunken passenger.

I usually put there just a small bag maybe with my camera and tablet, and usually I have to stop someone trying to squeeze into it an enormous rigid trolley with all his or her belongings, which barely fits there, and they do not care if they're destroying everything else already there.

Airlines should start to enforce their rules about cabin baggage, even if some stupid passenger will complain.

14. The Stolly

I thought you weren't allowed to take apples into Australia.

1. John Tserkezis

"I thought you weren't allowed to take apples into Australia."

You can, but you need to dispose of it in one of many thoughtfully supplied fruity bins directly after landing.

Though, if you risk it by going through customs undeclared, where they check it for bugs. Though that never happens, because apples never, ever, catch any sort of bugs, they're immune you know...

15. Brenda McViking
    Holmes

The incident in question

http://avherald.com/h?article=46b376ea/0000&opt=0

The ATSB also had the following to say to passengers in this very same report:"Turbulence is a weather phenomenon responsible for the abrupt sideways and vertical jolts that passengers often experience during flights, and is the leading cause of in-flight injuries to passengers and cabin crew."

I feel SO much more knowledgable now.

16. Chris G

An Apple a day

Does not necessarily keep the doctor away.

17. disgruntled yank

projectiles

I am well aware that mobiles can become projectiles, having followed El Reg's close coverage of some supermodel or t'other hurling a mobile while throwing a fit.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: projectiles

"close coverage of some supermodel or t'other"

Or a Prime Minister or two...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like