back to article Software containers for BYOD/mobile device management: Big Tin Can

An environment which runs on a number of mobile platforms seeks to solve lots of the BYOD issues faced by corporates. It creates a balance between locking down a device so completely that people won't or can't use it and leaving the door open to miscreants. Such environments these days are often known as "containers" (or " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Completely missing the point

The main driver behind BYOD is users wanting devices which work well and which the IT department have not screwed with. I for one will refuse to have this type of software anywhere near my devices and so we're back to square one with IT giving me a poorly managed device which I will decide not to use and start using my own devices. The difference is that next time I'll be creating the content on my devices so it will never touch the corporate network for them to screw with. Each iteration of this process leaves users and data further from the corporate network, not closer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Re: Completely missing the point

And this is why your much hated IT department insist on locking down said devices.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/26/zeus_salesforce_malware/

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I never said they didn't have a reason, I said it won't work and is therefore pointless.

2. pacman7de
        Facepalm

And the app would be more secure on said device - how?

2. keithpeter Silver badge
      Windows

Personally, I'd rather like Big Tin Can on our computers at work. At present, I have to pull various types of information from a motley collection of sources including email; documents as attachments to emails; sharepoint documents; the output of various types of 'business application' that generate reports off databases - including Web pages, applications launched from Web pages but which have Windows specific clients, and bespoke programs.

Corralling that lot into one secure app that I could use anywhere and get the basic work done would be ace...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Containerisation or sand-boxing in all forms has been dismissed by the PSNA. So don't think your staff will be using BYOD devices in any meaningful way in the public sector.

They won't say that in writing of course. They'll continue with the "BYOD is 'possible' in the public sector" line.

3. c:\boot.ini
    Boffin

What about BES12, announced the other day?

BES 12 Does not yet support Windows phone (an update is inbound) but does other devices including IOS, Android, old and new blackberry's... in fact, TBH, it is two years late, but relatively a bargain, iiuc.

4. cortland

Pencil, meet paper...

toto.lib.unca.edu/findingaids/mss/housing_authority_city_asheville/boxes_117_south_pack_square_pack_plaza/images/117A_04_01.jpg

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like