back to article What the world really needs: A telescopic SELFIE STICK

Mobile World Congress is often as interesting for the silly gadgets as it is for the mainstream announcements. Bluetooth Gew-gaws abound at mwc This (right) is the Selfie Stick, an extendable pole with a Bluetooth control for your phone. The Selfie comes in two versions: a general one and one for Samsung phones where you …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Captain DaFt

That wasn't what I meant...

When I said, "Take that camera and stick it!"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A selfie stick for those

who want their friends (sorry followers) to know that their Google Glass is soooooooooo coooooool

Frankly these <redacted> need to get a life.

I do predict a slew law suits will be files by people injured buy selife-stick wielding <redacted>

1. Jim 59

Friends ?

Great purchase if your only friend is Wilson the beachball.

3. LaeMing
    Unhappy

Please!

Nuke us from orbit. It's the only way to be sure!

4. jake Silver badge

Gut feeling? Not selfies[1], rather peeping.

It'll be used for looking into bath/bedroom windows and over fences.

[1] As a photographer, I hate that term. On the other hand, it probably perfectly describes folks who have no concept of the meaning of "self portrait".

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Gut feeling? Not selfies[1], rather peeping.

Surely as a photographer you should love the term?

It makes it very clear that the image was simply taken on the spur of the moment for a laugh, and quite possibly while doing something they'll later regret.

The very antithesis of a paid-for photograph.

1. jake Silver badge

The word already exists.

It's called a "snapshot". Not a "selfie".

Regardless, 7-nines of them are trash.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

jake, as a photographer I quite like the term "selfie" because it is used for self-snapshots taken with el cheapo camera, often in a mobile phone. Quite different from a self-portrait which is carefully set up with background, light, etc.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: [1] As a photographer

Another one of jake's many talents.

;-)

1. jake Silver badge

;-)

AC's singular talent

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge
            Happy

jake's talents

Isn't there a forum topic dedicated to that?

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The word already exists.

It's called a "snapshot". Not a "selfie"."

Accurate as ever. "Snapshot" doesn't mean "a photograph of yourself". "Selfie" does.

"As a photographer ..." - Pleeeeeease .... make it stop ....

5. Tom 7

I bet it costs a lot more

than the tripod the bit came from and the shutter release cable and the stick that I've been using for years - not dangerously in public of course. I have photos of down my chimney taken using a 24 foot saw pole.

Never occurred to me people might be amazed by it.

Should make it easier to acquire cameras tho...

1. Uffish
      Mushroom

Re: I bet it costs a lot more

Not expensive, they're selling them in my local supermarket (and have been for some time). You don't use a cable release you put the camera on delayed exposure like for any group photo.

(Icon = flash photo)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not actually a new idea

Scuba divers have had a pole for Go-pro underwater video cameras for some time. As opposed to taking photo's of themselves though, it helps get the camera closer to marine life without disturbing them or allows you to pop the camera into a cave entrance/wreck etc without the need to venture in.

1. Dave 62

Re: Not actually a new idea

I have to say the go-pro stick has even been used for "selfie" video to good affect, giving some interesting angles on snow-boarders and the like. The best bit is under all that snow-boarder apparel you can't see them duck face.

p.s here's a song about selfies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdemFfbS5H0 :)

1. Wize

"p.s here's a song about selfies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdemFfbS5H0 :)"

I thought it was an Ikea advert. Taking pictures of your shelf...

2. Nuke
      Holmes

@AC - Re: Not actually a new idea

Wrote :- "Scuba divers have had a pole for .. underwater video cameras for some time"

Why scuba divers specially? Above water they are called monopods, quite common in conventional photography :-

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/06/19/best-monopod-for-dslr-photography-6-top-models-tested-and-rated/

Never heard of them being used for a selfie, but no problem, set the camera on a 5 second time delay and get your pole out. I suppose your phone won't have a monopod/tripod boss though, but duck tape is your friend.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
        Coat

Re: @AC - Not actually a new idea

set the camera on a 5 second time delay and get your pole out

Respect. In only 5 secs AND making a picture of it? Them are skillz :p

Oh, wait..

2. rh587

"Never heard of them being used for a selfie, but no problem, set the camera on a 5 second time delay and get your pole out. I suppose your phone won't have a monopod/tripod boss though, but duck tape is your friend."

I saw a Japanese/Korean (they were wearing a Hello Kitty backpack and a lot of Pink) tourist wandering around Paris with something similar last year posing in front of the Louvre Pyramid, so it's not new. What may be new is the integration of shutter release rather than a pole with an iphone mount - guess they had it on a timer.

Struck me at the time as a very easy way to acquire a new phone. All the skill in pickpocketing is rendered obsolete in this newfangled age of consumers offering you their electronics at arms length :(

1. no-one in particular

> All the skill in pickpocketing is rendered obsolete in this newfangled age of consumers offering you their electronics at arms length :(

Someone is stealing my gadget! If only I had something available to beat them with...

3. fixit_f

Agree completely. I've had one for years for my Go-Pro, and I've used it for kite surfing, snorkelling and snowboarding. Like you say it's good for directing your camera into nooks and crannies, and if I've been guilty of snapping the odd pic/video of myself (which I've been doing since long before it was called a "selfie" therefore I refuse to call it one) when I'm in a happy place with a big smile on my face then so bloody what - it cheers me up to look at those pictures during the many times when I'm in a less happy place. Miserable sods, now I can never use my camera on a stick again as people like you lot will judge me "self obsessed" or something!

4. Alan IE

The meme of an Asian lady using one of these is at least 5 years old ("Forever Arone") so I'm guessing an extendible monopod for cameras has been around for a good few years before that...

7. smudge
    Facepalm

FOAD

"The manufacturer ... sees it as just the thing for taking pictures over the heads of fellow concert goers."

Absolutely. Concerts will be improved immeasurably by a forest of these things between me and the stage.

1. Ottman001
      Coat

Re: FOAD

Indeed. Fortunately, I feel confident that these will flop or be confiscated at the door.

It maybe a sign that I should consider the purchase of a flat cap, pipe and slippers, but I find the sea of phones recording at concerts a pity. Not long ago, people went to concerts to enjoying the experience while they were there and be part of something. I feel that people who are stood still, blankly fixated on their phone while trying to get a good video are overtly not taking part and detract from the atmosphere.

When a slow song is played, a sea of lit cigarette lighters or candles makes quiet a spectacle which phone screens just don't replicate. Just had an idea for a crApp: video recording app that displays a candle on the screen!

Coat icon because this old fart is obviously not cool any more.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Makes it easier to steal someone's phone

And anyone who would buy that deserves to have their phone taken from them.

9. Fink-Nottle

Camera-onna-stick

I'd sell it for less, but that's like cutting me own throat ...

1. Trainee grumpy old ****
      Boffin

Re: Camera-onna-stick

A snack that would probably only be of interest to trolls. Totally lacking in key nutrition groups (e.g. gristle) for humans and associated species.

1. ammabamma
        Joke

Re: Camera-onna-stick

> Totally lacking in key nutrition groups (e.g. gristle) for humans and associated species.

I dunno. Let's see here:

Gristle - Does the hand-salsa gunge that collects in the corners and seams of the battery cover/phone body, the exposed ports, and the corners of the case count?

Crunchy Black Bits - Is your phone black? If so, dropping it from a non-trivial height (>15 cm) should do the trick.

Grease - Simply squeegee your screen periodically after using it on a hot, sweaty day.

See? All nutritional requirements met.

10. Getriebe

Soon to be seen on steps of British Museum

Replace the wooden sticks with sticky backed plastic beloved of so many from the middle kingdom.

11. danielbUK
    Headmaster

Add a harness and !!!!!!!

Just add a harness and you can selfie or selfy (whichever it is) all day long with video too!!!!!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Add a harness and !!!!!!!

>harness ... with video too.

What you've described is called a snorricam.

Warning - Watching the videos from these may make you dizzy.

12. Mark 85

Paparazzi on a stick?

Probably will take a more tasteful (no.. I won't define "tasteful") selfie than one taken in a public restroom mirror. Or not.

On the other hand, I can see the paparazzi using it.. and possibly getting it used on them in assorted ways it wasn't designed for.

1. Stoneshop
      Holmes

Re: Paparazzi on a stick?

Those that were already aware of the possibilities of a broomstick/monopod/painter's pole (or any combination thereof) would most likely have shown to possess sufficient braincells[1] to not become one in the first place.

[1] five or more

13. detritus

Obligatory—

http://lolzonline.com/imagefile/woman_taking_a_selfie_562.jpg

14. Robert E A Harvey

head, hands etc.

If this was the last problem that needed solving, the world is in a pretty good state!

15. Nick Ryan Silver badge

It's hardly a new product, these have been around for quite some time. What's extra is the bluetooth button which is a nice refinement.

While in theory they are good, in practice they suck balls because it's even harder to a) not shake the camera and b) point the camera in the right direction.

What usually makes "selfies" suck balls is that very few people know how to compose a selfie or to pose for it. Still, they are fun and there is nothing wrong with that.

16. F111F
    Coat

Subtitle..

Did anyone else read it as "A Pole for your short-arm selfie?"

...mine's the one with the pole in the pocket...thanks.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does it come with the young lady attached, to take your photos for you, as shown in the picture?

Maybe as an optional extra?

18. Richard Rae

I think it's brilliant

A bit like the baby trolleys in supermarkets that have the flag on a pole, it allows you to spot the idiots at a distance...

19. RobDog

Old hat

Bought one of these from 7day**** about 5 years ago for about a fiver

20. Dick Kennedy

Not original...

Minolta had this idea back in the 1980s. It launched a compact disc camera (remember those?). It came with a screw-on telescopic arm. In those pre-digital, pre-screen days, to help you compose the shot, there was a small mirror mounted on the front of the camera. This was tinted slightly pink because that makes ladies feel better about how they look (allegedly).

21. Stevie

Bah!

In 1984 you could buy (non digital I might add) compact cameras with a convex mirrored lens and a thing that looked for all the world like a socket set ratchet driver in a kit.

You fastened the camera on the round bit (where the socket would snap on the ratchet driver) pointing back down the handle, extended the telescopic shaft, posed yourself in the mirror and took your "selfie".

The box showed an elderly grandfather posed in a snowbank with his granddaughter after some skiing fun. No doubt such a device would be decried as a paedo enabler these days.

I guess do-overs is NOT just a Hollywood meme.

22. Michael Thibault

Where this is going...

is a full belt to anchor the pole (leaving your camera ever-at-the-ready), but particularly so that you can take pictures of yourself where both your hands are visible in the shot, creating the impression that someone else was with your sorry self -- to take the photo -- at that moment in the relatively un-storied arc of your miniscule journey through an insignificant part of the indifferent cosmos.

23. David 45

Novel angles now available

Will this be used for the conventional overhead or face shot, or is there an ulterior motive for some......er.......ground level vertical titillation?

24. Yugguy

If I ruled the world ANYONE who goes to see live music and then watches it on a 4 inch screen instead would be shot.

This topic is closed for new posts.