back to article Kim Dotcom extradition hearings delayed

Kim Dotcom will be waiting until nearly the end of 2014 to find out whether American courts will get their hands on him: an extradition hearing due in April 2014 has been delayed, with a new date yet to be set. That's led the Megaupload founder to accuse the New Zealand government of interfering in the judicial process, to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He's gonna love the Big House

Big Boy is gonna love the Big House or NOT.

2. Breen Whitman

I am surprised that the Prime Minister hasn't ordered the American CIA to assassinate him by now.

But I guess that does need to wait till after the election otherwise it'd be too obvious.

Although they could arrange an "Osama Bin Laden", IE Kill him now, and use a stand in.

3. Charles Manning

Embarrassment, NOT

Most of us in NZ are getting really tired of this media-hogging show-pony. Any party that got him shipped offshore would get a major boost in popularity. If anything that would be a coup, not an embarrassment.

KDC tried to launch a political party here, but it fell over before it even started.

For all this twittering, KDC really does know the truth: The NZ judicial system is largely separated from the NZ political system. Politicians really don't influence the slow grinding of the machine that oversees his extradition.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Embarrassment, NOT

To be honest, this country is so small that it does not surprise me that things get delayed. I try not to break out the tin foil hat over the latest kim dot com movements / conspiracy but I would not put it past someone had a word informally. At the end of the day, you have to look at who is on the treasury benches and who controls the purse strings. Neither side of the political spectrum escapes on this front, though MMP throws up the odd quirk now and then, livening up at least election night. Sadly we don't have Peter Snow and his swingometer.

AC as I sit far too close to the bureaucracy in the land of the long white cloud for my own sanity.

4. madmalc

I get this sneaky feeling that some New Zealanders take stuff too seriously. If I lived there I'd vote for the Mega party

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I get this sneaky feeling that some New Zealanders take stuff too seriously. If I lived there I'd vote for the Mega party

Yup, you shouldn't take politics too seriously, after all it doesn't really impact your daily life and it's not as though previous generations would shake their head in despair after they struggled for something like universal suffrage. So go ahead and waste your vote for a convicted fraudster's vanity political party.

1. Gavin King

I suspect the OP is from a somewhat larger country than New Zealand (it isn't hard) and thus has a larger parliament (or equivalent), probably with two houses; a single Member in that case is not too much of a big deal; he or she will get drowned out by the remainder. For our 120 MPs though, a single Member is a bit of a bigger deal.

Add in the fact there is a single House, and that Parliament is absolutely sovereign (so laws can't be overturned by the courts; I think there's a legal term, but can't remember it now) and I think that New Zealanders should take their politics and politicians seriously.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Place your bets now. I bet he's gonna do a McAfee and run like hell to some foreign country. Hell, he may be planning on taking up residents in Mcafee 's old pad.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like