back to article LinkedIn censors self to launch in China

Business social network LinkedIn has trumped Facebook and Twitter by launching a localised site for China, although the US firm admitted it would be subject to government censorship requirements. The English language version has been used by professionals in China for over a decade and has over four million users, but the firm …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ole Juul

Oh great

Now I can get twice the LinkedIn spam.

1. frank ly

Re: Oh great

Or many more than twice the number of notifications of a conference on urban renewal in Beijing. You may know these conference speakers.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Altruism

"...we also believe that LinkedIn’s absence in China would deny Chinese professionals a means to connect with others on our global platform, thereby limiting the ability of individual Chinese citizens to pursue and realise the economic opportunities, dreams and rights most important to them."

Oh bless.

How noble of them to offer their services to China. You would almost think that the Chinese market would cost Linked-in, not increase their value.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

China needs us more than we need freedom

While I applaud the sarcasm, sometimes plain English is just as effective, so let me paraphrase:

We want their money more then they want their freedom.

1. Ramazan

IMHO it's more like "we need their money more than we care about freedom".

4. Pen-y-gors

Good excuse to close my account

It's pretty pointless anyway, so [**censored**] LinkedIn

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good excuse to close my account

True, I can't remember the last time I logged into linked in, for certain my CV on there is 2-3 years out of date..

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"China needs us more than we need freedom"

Um, you have freedom, nobody is taking it from you.

As for China, it doesn't need you in any way, shape or form.

If it does start to need something like you, it will make its own version.

So go ahead and bend over while the going's good. If you think your customer base is going to have any loyalty to you, well let me just say one day you will wake up very sorry.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like