back to article Sony enlists Michael Jackson's GHOST to flog Xperia Z2

Sony has announced the new Xperia Z2, an Android KitKat phone, as a predictable progression on the Z1 and has enlisted the help of the its single-gloved departed partner, popstar Michael Jackson, to help pimp it out. Despite the slightly larger 5.2-inch screen size, the new phone is a mere 2.8mm lengthier than its predecessor …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Goldmember

Shamone, motherfucker!

"Not just MJ's imperative as famously used in Beat It, Thriller, Billie Jean et cetera but indeed, a wandering Buddhist monk in Japanese"

You forgot about Bo' Selecta.

He's not dead anyway. It's all a GIANT CONSPIRACY

etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not a great selling point.

2. hplasm
      Angel

Re: Shamone, motherfucker!

"No, that's ignorant! Woo-hooo!!"

2. nsld
    Facepalm

Nothing says buy my product

like the endorsement of a dead junkie with an unhealthy interest in small boys and a pet monkey.

Owww, check your bad self......

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can see the tagline now: "Stop fondling kids and fondle our phone instead".

4. Dave 126 Silver badge

A few commentards here have expressed a desire in these forums for an Android handset with a smaller screen but still retaining high-end internals. It now looks like the 4.2" Sony Z1 Compact is now available in the UK. Unlike 'mini' variants of the Galaxy S4 or HTC One, the Z1 Compact shares the same chipset (Qualcomm Snapdragon 800), 2GB RAM and camera as its bigger brother. It also has a microSD card slot and is waterproof.

1. Paul 135

Just got one mail order without seeing it first, and it is impressive beyond what I was expecting!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shamone?

Is that a Shampoo brand?

6. Jelliphiish

why are they still

'Flogging*' that idea?

/coat

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"automatically shoots handsfree pictures through the day"

And does what with them ? Post them on your FB wall ? On Twitter ?

Yeah, I can see that being no trouble at all.

8. Levente Szileszky

Does it come with auto-leveling audio when recording video finally, AGAIN?

Sony used to be the ONLY game in town for recording at live events but last time when they had this awesome feature was in my Xperia arc with its original Gigerbread (v2.3) OS - as soon as you have upgraded to ICS (v4.x) it lost this ability, all recordings sounded like distorted sh!t in a loud or noisy environment so I reverted quickly...

...and it's been many years now and I was hoping Sony will get its mojo together AGAIN, bought Xperia T - no dice, Xperia Sola for my wife - no dice etc, now running on the biggest phone on the planet (Xperia Z Ultra) and still no go for any live show recording, I still have to pull out my Xperia arc, running Gingerbread (recording @720p30 but at least reasonable sound quality, after that first half a second that auto-leveling takes to kick in...)

...should I really drop Sony forever? Or will these idiots pull their heads out of someone higher-ups bottom part and start paying attention to us, customers?

I know there is a FAMOUS disconnection between the Japanese engineering team and the Western (American & European) channel/design/sales/support/etc but seriously, there's no Sony Ericsson to blame anymore, it's OBVIOUSLY the incompetence of the Japanese top management, what should happen to catch their fuzzy attention...?

9. W. Anderson

Sony - confused technology firm with brilliant products

As a satisfied Sony Ericsson and then Sony Smartphone and device owner for a few years now, I would never again purchase any Sony branded Mobile device from them after recently learning of the company's participation in the draconian and idiotic Rock Star patent troll team's actions against Samsung and Google over "Android" software technologies, by coincidence the very software that Sony relies on for any worthwhile mobile sales..

Sony has abandoned it's foray into Windows based computers , and the fast selling new PlayStation 4 has Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) FreeBSD as the Operating System (OS) infrastructure.

Therefore, for a company that is so dependent on the high quality and performance of FOSS, including Android, and FreeBSD for corporate wide database infrastructure as well, it is bewildering that they would join in an asinine venture in attempting to stop FOSS spreading, which is the only non-crazy or factual reason for it's new Redmond friendship. Infringing software patents are (proven) bogus claims.

As the article author cleverly stated, Sony is a "Wandering Buddhist monk,.... and a little lost", but a lot lost to most everyone.

1. Paul 135

Re: Sony - confused technology firm with brilliant products

If Android were actually FOSS, and not merely an a insidious attempt to harvest data and push lock-in towards proprietary Google services, you might have a point.

10. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

RIP Z

Being associated with the psychopaths at Sony Music will be the death of the phone, and there's no better way to start the slaughter than to have Michael Jackson promote it. They might as well give them away for free with Sony TVs.

It's a shame. The Z1 is a very nice phone once the shoveware is disabled and the plastic is pulled off the front glass.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like