back to article SkyDrive is dead! All hail Microsoft OneDrive! Happy now, Uncle Rupe?

Microsoft has completed the transition of its SkyDrive cloud storage service to its new branding, henceforth to be known as OneDrive. Beginning on Wednesday, users who navigate to the URL of the former SkyDrive website are redirected to the newly rebadged OneDrive site. The new site has a user interface that's virtually …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

So when it goes down

we can call it One Dead Drive instead of Skyfall/Skyfail?

Ok, I'm going.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Trollface

At least OneDrive doesn't sound as silly in a French accent as OneCare did.

"Wen I sink of Steve Ballmer I sink OneCare"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Uhm, no?

"Microsoft has completed the transition of its SkyDrive cloud storage service to its new branding, henceforth to be known as OneDrive."

Either the information is wrong or they did a very lousy job. Because if I go over to Outlook.com and click the (IMO ugly) menu icon I get to see 4 (way too) huge icons: Outlook.com, People, Calendar and... SkyDrive.

Sure; when you click on SkyDrive you end up on OneDrive, that is true. And if you check the (still ugly) 4 icon menu there you'll see the name OneDrive appear.

But the moment you're back on Outlook.com SkyDrive lives again.

Now, I could understand that Microsoft overlooked such a "small" detail, even though Outlook.com is their main de-facto webmail environment. But it gets worse: on every part of this webmail environment (so in Outlook.com, People and Calendar) you still see the SkyDrive name and icon appear. Only on SkyDrive, errr; OneDrive, itself has it been renamed.

All at the time of writing obviously.

Even so, this looks like a very crude hack job. Microsoft unworthy if you ask me (I'm one of those nuts who doesn't like what he sees when looking at the current Microsoft, but that's also because I believe that Microsoft can do much better than they're doing now if they put their mind to it).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Guess they didn't learn from Metro

Maybe next time they'll do some trademark research. Seems odd they have such trouble with product names - they really never did come up with a decent name for TIFKAM - what is it now, "modern ui" or some vague name like that?

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Guess they didn't learn from Metro

Guess they didn't learn from *Windows* which probably would be a non-starter brand name in today's legal environment.

Obviously they have a long history of crap names.

1. aqk
        Paris Hilton

Re: Guess they didn't learn from the Beatles

And Apple was a record publishing name used by the Beatles. (Apple Corp.)

And the original McIintosh was a Canadian apple, developed by John McIntosh in 1811.

Guess them Canadians will never learn. Duh.

5. Tom 35

The wonders of cut and paste

The new site has a user interface that's virtually identical to the old one.

Sky / One even same number of letters so it should not even mess up the layout much...

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

Rupert Murdoch

The original troll.

7. Number6

One Drive

One Drive to rule them all, One Bing to find them,

One Drive to bring them all and in the data centre bind them

8. Refugee from Windows

Murdock sorted, now Mr Shuttleworth

Hmm. I seem to have an Ubuntu One shortcut on my desktop. Oh confusion!

9. Not also known as SC

One.Com

I wonder what one.com are going to make of this?

1. Elmer Phud

Re: One.Com

One wonders which one of those ones will have won

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: One.Com

I'll ask my friend Juan

10. msknight
    FAIL

Oh dear...

That won't put them anywhere NEAR being confused with the on-line storage cloud service "One" from Canonical then.

11. MJI Silver badge

There was a TV programme about it

With Adrian Chiles and Christine Brinkley

1. Warm Braw

Re: There was a TV programme about it

Was that on Sky One?

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: There was a TV programme about it

No BBC ONE

12. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

"100GB of free storage...

"...although the extra gigabytes are only good for twelve months, after which customers must either start paying for them or lose them."

Well isn't *that* generous of them! Start to use those "free" 100GB and then you have to decide whether to fork out money or lose/ delete whatever you were storing in them.

And the pushers always offer a "free" sample too...

13. batfastad
    Trollface

clouds

Sometimes I create free cloud accounts and fill it with chunks of random junk data, a 10minutemail e-mail address, then never go near it again. Just for the hell of it, to mess with them.

All these companies are just massively overselling/under provisioning... lets see how deep their pockets really are and burst this .cloud bubble. Who's with me?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: clouds

Do you know what that makes you?

A dick, it makes you a dick (With too much time on their hands to do anything constructive).

Plus its ultimately a massive waste of time : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/sdsign-sdsignin/does-skydrive-delete-inactive-accounts/505ef234-1966-4516-afc2-635b0e93cb41

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't care what it's called

I still won't be using it thanks.

1. aqk
      Terminator

Re: I don't care what it's called

Why? Explain please.

And no stomping your little foot and pouting this time, OK?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cannot get rid of it

I am using Win 8.1 and a recent update has stuck a little sky drive cloud logo in my system tray. There appears to be no way to turn sky drive off, at least not what would be the obvious way of right-clicking it and accessing some properties. I have dropbox already, all my phone photos go to that, and it syncs all my work. I don't need skydrive, but I appear not to be able to get rid of it.

It all looks rather like Microsoft back at its old tricks - build in something which an innovative company has already provided, and don't let people remove it, so a lot of people just end up using it by default.

1. Sporkinum

Re: cannot get rid of it

Can you post a link of an image of what you are seeing? I don't have anything skydrive on my 8.1 system other than a tile for it in metro apps I can't get rid of. I deleted the directory it created under 8 originally, and nothing exists in desktop anywhere now. It's a shame though, because I liked it. I just won't allow Microsoft to control the credentials to my own machine, and with 8.1, the only way you can use it outside of a browser is to log into your machine with a microsoft account.

1. aqk
        Stop

Re: I just won't allow Microsoft to control the credentials

" I just won't allow Microsoft to control the credentials "

Wah wahhh! Cry and stomp your little foot!

You remind me of the self-important big web expert back in 1997 or so - if you went to his website with IE, it would switch to a page with-

"SORRY! We do not allow Microsoft users to browse this page! Please install Netscape 2.6 now!" Or whatever crude version Andreesen's creation was back then... What a dolt.

He appeared "big" amogst technophiles back in the late '90s, but now he is either dead, unemployed or retired (like me).

Stop shooting yourself in the foot, you self-righteous weenie...Grow up. Or mummy might spank you.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Twist Rolarian
      WTF?

Re: cannot get rid of it

I have it too, and outside of turning it off in the Task Manager (in which it comes back a while later on it's own), it won't stay away. And you apparently can't uninstall it either.

I use Google Drive, and have no use for SkyOneDriveWhatever.

4. aqk
      Windows

Re: cannot get rid of it. REALLY?

You appear to be a dope. Or an old fogey.

Try asking your nephew. Or your grandson. I'm sure he can fix it for you.

16. MissingSecurity
    Trollface

Is this where

I should proclaim that MS doesn't even have a cloud datacenter and its just a direct sharred storage plattform for the NSA?

Its like Skynet decided to emphanmize its exsitance by changing its name to ONE.

17. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

Ouch baby Ouch Ouch Ouch?

O-U-C-H?

That is One silly bit of nomenclature no?

Onedrive as if there are no other drives so the name implodes perception to other similar service providers.

Plus it seems to have an unfortunate dash of megalomania about it if not in reality then at least in virtuality if not imaginary?

18. Teiwaz

One everything...

Hum. Will OneDrive be on the the XboxOne?

Perhaps they should call Windows 9, WindowsOne. (god knows they need to start again from scratch there).

Lets just unify their product line, rename the Kinect the OneEye, OfficeOne,VisualOne(or OneBasic, BasicOne), OnePhone,TabletOne etc. (I could go on but I'm bored now).

19. Scott Pedigo

Is the NSA Paying for This?

"OneDrive users with Android devices can also receive an additional 3GB of permanent storage if they enroll in the service's new automatic camera backup feature, which stores photos online as soon as they're snapped."

First they came for my browser history, then they came for my friends list, then they came for my phone numbers, then they came for my call list, cell towers, wi-fi hotspots and GPS coordinates, now they come for my pictures...

20. Arachnoid

Dont see it mentioned

But Office 365 get an additional 20Gb so 27GB in total and I had read elsewhere Grandfather hotmail accounts also get 27GB.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dont see it mentioned

Early windows phone adopters got 25GB too...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Dont see it mentioned

The early windows phone adopter got 25GB too...

There, fixed it for you.

21. cortland

Bossa nova...

similis bossa seneca.

22. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

On the other hand ...

Why android tablets cannot access Apple iCloud seems a bit daft.

OneDrive content sent from a Mac can be accessed from an android tablet easy peasy like.

23. zero_sum

New SkyDrive is still a seriously bad deal. You remember this german photographer who lost all his work, because pictures looked suspicious to some bot at MS?  They might give you a few GB of free cloud space, but Microsoft gets your personal data, and peeks through literaly anything you put in there, to see if it conforms to their silly Terms and Conditions. That's part of the reason I use cloud drives less and less.

For backups or syncing I'd suggest your own NAS or some kind of bit torrent folder syncing solution. And if you want to share something with someone, it is always better to use Filemail - they let you send any number of files up to 30 GB each for free, no registration, no questions asked, great transfer speeds, 100% secure and private.

MS pushes cloud drives really hard on users, but I think shortly people will start discovering how many strings are attached...

24. steph37379

Well they now call it onedrive I hope they they tell my windows 8.1 it cant even connect to to it works perfectly on windows 7 and windows 8 but on windows 8.1 forget it use dropbox at least you can you update one file on one pc then find it on another you might as well forget it and have totally different copies on windows 8.1

also don't get me started with onedrive for business it just as bad as before even googledrive works better and that is saying not a lot

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like