back to article El Reg gives it a wrist at MWC: From not-so-smartwatch to the selfie-taker

Several new smartwatches are set to be shown at Mobile World Congress, demonstrating software improvements since CES at the start of the year. Creoir is a Finnish company, so you can guess where they all worked before. They are the people behind the Jolla smartphone. The former Nokia bods are currently working on its “Ibis” …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. James Cooke

Re: I still think

I would agree with some of that - the martian one that is just a fancy notification light (albeit with vibration too) seems a bit pointless.

On the other hand I use my pebble all the time and find it very handy. Most email I find is junk or circulars so the ability to glance at my wrist and dismiss unwanted messages is great. On top of that it works as a sleep monitor (wakes you up at the right point in your sleep cycle), bike speedometer and running monitor (how fast/far you have gone).

I'll be the first to admit I could live without my pebble but you could say that about a lot of tech and for me it fills a niche.

1. Irongut

I have no need for a cycling speedometer or running monitor and if my alarms only woke me up at the "right" point in my sleep cycle I'd always be late for work.

What was the other use again? Oh yeah, a fancy notification area for emails on my wrist instead of the two screens in front of me and the phone to the side. Not really a killer feature.

1. James Cooke

Clearly because you have no need of these things no one else possibly could...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

What do you get if you multiplty six by nine?

1. Simon Rockman

Excellent, someone got my Random quote.

2. Captain Scarlet
    Meh

Dont even use a watch anymore

Not sure about anyone else but when phones became smarter I ditched my watch as I saw no point, time well look at mobile.

3. willi0000000

interesting

remote control . . . for a phone?

not unless it has a "detonate" setting to take care of the SOB who just stole it and is running away down the street with it.

what next, using a headset to communicate with your wristwatch that can activate your phone to display the time on your headset?

[i must be even older than i feel]

4. Herby

$250 for a "Clock Bracelet"??

Not this commentard. A little pricey for my taste. If someone wants to get ahold of me, they can page me. It has worked for over 30 years, and is just fine, thank you.

As people have said before me: "Anything more than about $20 (give or take, inflation, you know) is jewelry. And no, I don't have a Rolex (or want one).

5. Grade%
    IT Angle

Sort of cool, but too $$$.

At the prices requested, somewhat too dear by half. A Pebbler grew from not liking or caring about the tech and found glancing at the wrist to be a quickly integrated habit. Though, the thought lingers that separation anxiety would mount the longer a certain generation left their mobile tucked in. So perhaps, the manufacturing of the market needs more baking time.

Personally, I attach sentiment to wristwatches, and looking at the time reminds me of loved ones more so than the information gleaned. But, perhaps that too, is a g-g-generation thing.

6. dogged

In before

a bunch of retards say they don't wear watches so therefore nobody in the whole world is interested.

What? Too late?

Nuts.

7. msknight

Not going anywhere near the ibis

After my experience with the Jolla, there is no way I'm going anywhere near anything they've been working on, until it has been in the market place for at least a year.

Given the teams pedigree, the amount of time already spent working on MeGo before they left Nokia, and then the time they've had after that ... I was expecting a less buggy product than what actually reached me.

As for the rest of them ... so much meh that will eventually join the fondu set under the kitchen sink.

This topic is closed for new posts.