back to article iTunes radio tunes in to Australia for first launch beyond USA

Apple has activated its iTunes radio service outside the USA for the first time, with Australia the lucky nation chosen to receive Cupertino's competitor to Spotify, Pandora and rdio. iTunes radio launched in September 2013 and is free to all users of iTunes and iOS-powered devices. Like other streaming music services, iTunes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gets better with training

Used it with a US iTunes login for a little while.

Started of poorly, but it seems to learn from when you skip, star, choose "play more like this" or "never play this" and gets better at choosing songs. It's similar to Pandora in this regard.

2. John Tserkezis

I buy those old-fangled CD things.

Yeah, I know, it's old hat, but I get what I want, when I want it, I don't need an unlimited internet account (there's no such thing in Australia, and I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.), and above and beyond all, no ads.

1. Tim99 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: I buy those old-fangled CD things.

John, by-and-large you would be right, but not in my case.

An advantage of living in our retirement village is that our unit has an NBN connection: 50+Mbps down and 20+Mbps up, with unlimited downloads. I have lots of CDs too, but internet radio is what we generally use (Tin roof, so crap radio reception and we don't want to pay for an external aerial). So far, the couple of iTunes channels that we have tried today have been OK...

1. TheFatMan

" living in our retirement village "

To be fair Tim - Tom Jones IS probably on your playlist.

(Sadly *SIGH*....mine too)

2. John Tserkezis

"our unit has an NBN connection:"

Read your Acceptable Use Policy and try to tell me that it's unlimed. The definitions are all so broad, even THEY don't know what's unacceptable.

It's been said you'll never get a straight answer out of them - and for the vast majority, I'll believe it.

I had been pushing my uploads at about 80% capacity consistently for a couple of months before Optus threatened me with disconnection unless I "stopped". So I emailed and asked what *is* acceptable.

It took a bunch of emails back and forth before they gave me a hard number that wasn't "less than what you're using now". And I'm guessing that number will be different for everyone.

Face it. You DO have a limit, it's entirely undocumented, and it's different that anyone else. Good luck in finding out what it is. This is what domestic internet is all about.

3. Frankee Llonnygog

Playlists only based on songs not albums

So - how does it cope with symphonies, concertos, and so on?

1. Diogenes

Re: Playlists only based on songs not albums

When I last tried a "smart" comparison it seems to recommend heavy metal for Beethoven & Wagner - and things like Tallis, Pretorious and Vivaldi totally confuse the poor things

1. Frankee Llonnygog

As I feared, on checking, it seems to treat movements of a piece as separate songs - a bit like Classic-sodding-FM

1. Diogenes

I've been trying it this arvo whilst marking some assignments. Getting nicely in the zone with 2 or 3 tracks on the Early Music Station , then whammo, an ad for Mr Norman's "Tech" & Furniture Emporium delivered at its standard 120 decibels- I manged to last 2 rotations , then back to Tunein streaming Avro Baroque (bliss)

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Thanks for the tip about Avro Baroque - happy listening

4. NightFox

But surely the recommendations should be made based on style of music rather than the artist's lifestyle/back story? I'm not saying it necessarily does that well, but this article seems to damn it based on the fact that it makes recommendations that aren't hip or cool enough.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like