back to article Flappy Bird's ANIMATED CORPSE may spread malware PLAGUE

Cybercrooks have been quick to latch onto the hype about Flappy Bird's demise by laying a variety of malware-based traps. Counterfeit Flappy Bird Android apps packing malware have been spotted all over the web, with sightings by both Trend Micro and Sophos, among others. Trend warns that counterfeit copies of the mobile game …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Semtex451
    Coat

Does this make me a Troll?

So does a Walled Garden approach look any better now?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does this make me a Troll?

Walled gardens keep out the obvious problems but not the more determined crook who will climb the wall.

The problem is every solution to malware ends up destroying further the hobbyist market and making computers a pain in the backside.

Eventually we could end up with a situation where every person needs a licence and a key which they sign their work with. If you break the law you get your key invalidated for life, so you can't ever write software and share it.

1. Stevie

Re: Walled gardens

"The problem is every solution to malware ends up destroying further the hobbyist market "

Console yourself that you have at least gained some empathy with those hobbyists stranded when the hobby electronics market collapsed almost overnight in the advent of cheap computers that finally worked almost reliably.

Before you say "but, Maplins..." what Maplins offers today is nowhere near the stuff it used to push in the early 80s, when I built a whole bank of digital percussion effects from kits they offered (and by "kits" I mean a bag of components, a circuit board a project case and a self adhesive fascia panel, not a couple of pre-built circuit boards which need connecting with a pre-made ribbon cable).

I was kind of hoping that part of the Pi fallout would be a resurgence of interest in breadboarding and melting lead, but it doesn't seem to be happening.

Oh well.

2. Tom 35

So does a Walled Garden approach look any better now?

Only if you are an idiot who makes the choice to install software from some shady app shop in Russia or where ever.

Android phones have a wall too, it's just that the owner of the phone has the key to the gate.

3. Goldmember
      Facepalm

Re: Does this make me a Troll?

"So does a Walled Garden approach look any better now?"

That was a silly comment. iPhones are just as capable of installing non-app store apps, as 'droid phones are, and "kosher" apps are still vulnerable to attack, as keeps being proven:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2037099/ios-app-contains-potential-malware.html

So to answer your question, no.

2. lansalot

Scams cropping up in its wake eh? Well that was surprising...... fuck me, if it was that much of a millstone around his neck, he should have left it up, stopped development, handed future earnings to charity and just let it die an eventually quiet and inevitable death.

1. Tom 13

Re: ..

Easy to say, but without knowing what the actual cause(s) of him taking down the game were I don't know how realistic it is. Hell, just think about the fight in deciding what charity to hand the game to.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: ..

Easy to say, but without knowing what the actual cause(s) of him taking down the game were I don't know how realistic it is.

Nguyen has been reported as saying, what was meant to be a game of fun, became a highly addictive product which was giving him concern and sleepless nights.

I doubt leaving it up and giving its revenue to charity would have satisfied his conscience.

3. Sander van der Wal
    Trollface

Why not code your own FlaBi?

Sounds like a good project for those British kids who must learn how to program.

1. Mattjimf

Re: Why not code your own FlaBi?

Or if your a hip, young band (one of these may not be accurate) jump on the bandwagon yourself - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/02/12/fall-out-boy-releasing-flappy-bird-clone

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"unscrupulous marketing firms"

There's another kind?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Check the APK SHA1 hashes for the untampered mobile game against anything you download"

And just how does Joe Public do that? And more importantly, can he be arsed to do that?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like