back to article Intel Labs 'geeks' flash Edison kit to El Reg: We do it for the BIRDS

Intel’s recent Edison launch was much more than a tilt at the burgeoning wearables space – Chipzilla has been working on designs for everything from a smart birdfeeder to a paper notebook on which the user can compose emails, according to a chief boffin. Dr Randolph Wang is chief scientist at Intel Labs China, where he had up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

The paper notebook computer sounds intriguing.

Probably something more obvious in Chinese, with its huge character set.

Now how big is it's PSU?

1. AndyS

Re: The paper notebook computer sounds intriguing.

The applications listed all sound interesting, but can anyone with more foresight than me explain why it needs to be a pluggable form factor? I'd have thought maybe you'd want your bird-feeder and notebook both working at the same time. Isn't part of the idea that things like this will become so cheap that we can have lots of them, each doing one specific task?

1. Miek
        Linux

I think the pluggable form factor is really just to show off how self-contained the package is rather than being an actual feature. Although, perhaps in the future we will be able to supplement a device with Edison via a modified SD card reader.

2. Christian Berger

The genius of the SD-Card form factor is that you can both use a plug or solder it directly onto the board.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And rather neatly add features or upgrade by plugging a new card in.

Perhaps there could even be a companion socket that could have something like a flash memory card plugged into it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like