back to article NASA promises balloon ride and über precise 'scope pointer for planet-gazing boffins

NASA has come up with a new pointing system named WASP (Wallops Arc Second Pointer) which gets planetary scientists closer to their target worlds. The Wallops Arc Second Pointer (WASP) payload suspended from a crane during a test deployment The Wallops Arc Second Pointer (WASP) payload suspended from a crane during a test …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kingston Black

Accurate, stablised pointing thingy...

Perhaps Lester should investigate giving LOHAN (and the flying truss) a good Walloping.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"the ability to find and track an object that is the diameter of a dime from two miles away"

Well that insertion of metallic RFID strips into our Dollar Bills was so 1990's.

Nice of the NSA to declassify something for the advancement of humankind.

;), but still AC. Just in case.

3. Rustident Spaceniak
    Devil

So what size is a 30-storey balloon in standard fishing rods?

Or in Lon don double decker buses, for that matter?

And certainly, we need a far-fetched, pseudo-figurative measure for "above 95% of the atmosphere". Suggestions welcome.

Oh, and OK, I know fishing rods come in all sorts of sizes.

1. Uffish

Re: So what size is a 30-storey balloon in standard fishing rods?

18.18, 'cos as any fule kno a rod, pole or perch is 35.92 linguine, or if you need common or garden measures 1/4 of a surveyor's chain. (The Reg online standards converter + 10' for one storey).

1. Rustident Spaceniak
        Thumb Up

Brilliant, you're right! A well deserved upvote.

And there was me thinking NASA's balloons were all of a quarter furlong high.

2. Vociferous

> And certainly, we need a far-fetched, pseudo-figurative measure for "above 95% of the atmosphere".

Well, if you imagine that the Earth is a ping-pong ball, then "above 95% of the atmosphere" would be from the thickness of a tissue paper from the ping-pong ball, to the end of the observable universe.

If we interprete "above 95% of the atmosphere" as an altitude instead of an interval, then it's approximately where Kate Winslet and Leo DiCaprio would be if you balanced 446 000 Titanic on top of each other, bow to stern.

I love wolframalpha.

4. Stevie
    Trollface

Bah!

Must be some balloon to lift that hucking fuge crane.

5. Mark 85

How long will it stay up?

And what happens when it comes down? Will do a complete earth orbit so it can come down near the launch site? Failsafe parachute? Enquiring minds and all that.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Staggering.

Look at a protractor.

Look at the separation of degree marks.

Now imagine dividing that by 3600 and keeping a several 100Kg mass pointing in exactly that direction.

1. Barbarian At the Gates

Re: Staggering.

Look at my glass.

Look into filling it with beer.

Now, imagine refilling it each time it becomes empty between now and pub close.

Also staggering...

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: Staggering.

Meh, sounds like my dayjob...

But it's still no less impressive. The most difficult bit is getting that sort of accuracy without being attached to anything. Newton's third law is a bit of a pain in the neck in these sort of situations.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like